Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
I drove the ATS when it first came out. It is really quite good. The main thing that drives me nuts about it (and a lot of recent GM cats) is the use of shiny black trim in the center console. Oh and the fact that they seem to have followed BMW right off the cliff with the use of Run Flat tires. Ahh well at least they seem to use Michelin run flats.
Off a cliff? That's a litte over dramatic...

I got to admit that I didn't like RFTs at first either, but all it takes is one incident, and you'll be a fan for life.

They work as advertised.

Last edited by krash; 01-25-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Off a cliff? That's a litte over dramatic...

I got to admit that I didn't like RFTs at first either, but all it takes is one incident, and you'll be a fan for life.

They work as advertised.
At risk of making this "yet another runflat thread", I guess I have been lucky with respect to tire leaks/blowouts. Almost all of mine have been slow leaks that I have been able to get fixed.

But I had runflats on my 2006 e90 for the first 3 years before I switched to regular tires. During that time period I had 4 bent wheels and a sidewall bubble on my summer set and 1 bent wheel on my winter set. (225/45R17 and 205/55R16 profile tires respectively). In the 3 years since on regular tires I haven't had any. And just for reference one of our other cars during that time period had non RFT 245/40R19 tires and was driven over the same roads and it only had one bent wheel.

One thing the ATS may have going for it is that GM is an American company that tests their cars at least in part on the poorly maintained streets of Detroit. Perhaps that means that the ATS have won't have the same RFT complaints as we have seen here. In my brief time behind the wheel of the ATS, it did seem more "muted" over bumps. Pothole explosions weren't as big of a nuisance. Not sure if they have worked out a suspension/wheel setup that handles RFT better or if they are just using better tires. OTOH GM has been using RFT for a while on the Corvette and the Corvette forums see the same complaints about RFT that you see here. I guess time will tell.

Last edited by asus389; 01-25-2013 at 08:59 AM.