Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Climate control

So when I start the vehicle to climate control comes on 90 degrees on both sides and is at level one on the fan. I have looked through the manual and cannot get any answer. Any ideas how to just have it not come on automatically and let me decide especially in the middle of August? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
That's how the AUTO climate (IHKA) system is designed to work. It turns itself on 98% of the time. Not sure why you'd have the temp set at 90 degrees in August ( ) ...is this another issue perhaps where the IHKA control panel willl not stay at the temp you have set (like 72 degrees)?

If you have access toBMW DIS or aftermarket software/hardware you can check to see if there's a setting that you can turn off the auto start up feature...until then, the best you can do is:

1. press the "-" (fan speed) button until there's only 1 dash left...lift your finger and press one more time. This will turn the system completely off.
2. if you come back to the car BEFORE 16 minutes...the system will remain off.
3. if you come back after 16 minutes...then the IHKA will turn itself back on with the fan speed at the lowest setting (1 "-" will be displayed). At this point (though exasperating for those who hate this)...it will require that you reach up and press the fan speed button ONCE to turn the system back off.
For those that like full control of their HVAC system...BMW offered the IHKR which used dials and bowden cables to control the HVAC system. But this is something that a buyer needed to order specifically or look for on the used market:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the response Q. See, that's the thing, the fan is on at 90 degrees every time I start the X. I cannot figure out how to "set" the temp for 72 automatically. It's just 90 in Jan or Aug. Very odd.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
I cannot figure out how to "set" the temp for 72 automatically.
Are you saying that your TEMPERATURE buttons don't work on your IHKA control panel? When you press the red or blue colored (TEMP) buttons on the IHKA control panel...this should set your desired temp as noted in the owners manual. If this is the case, then you may need to replace your IHKA control panel.

(red arrow increases temp setting & blue arrow decreases temp setting )

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 01-25-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 AM

So imagine this...it is a 98 degree day here in sunny Pueblo, Colorado. I get in the X and turn her on. The auto climate control comes on with a setting of 90 degrees no matter what. And to answer your question, yes. I can change the temp. Annoying. I really don't want to make it seem like a huge deal it is just an annoyance to drop it to cool all summer long every time I turn on the vehicle. So I was hoping there was a way to program the climate control to come on every time I turn on the X at say...72 degrees. if there is a simple fix great...if not it is still a wonderful vehicle and I will not curse her for it.

P.s. thank you for your responses, in reading through this forum your responses are very insightful and helpful.

Last edited by SirDikkens; 01-25-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
That's how the AUTO climate (IHKA) system is designed to work. It turns itself on 98% of the time. Not sure why you'd have the temp set at 90 degrees in August ( ) ...is this another issue perhaps where the IHKA control panel willl not stay at the temp you have set (like 72 degrees)?

If you have access toBMW DIS or aftermarket software/hardware you can check to see if there's a setting that you can turn off the auto start up feature...until then, the best you can do is:

1. press the "-" (fan speed) button until there's only 1 dash left...lift your finger and press one more time. This will turn the system completely off.
2. if you come back to the car BEFORE 16 minutes...the system will remain off.
3. if you come back after 16 minutes...then the IHKA will turn itself back on with the fan speed at the lowest setting (1 "-" will be displayed). At this point (though exasperating for those who hate this)...it will require that you reach up and press the fan speed button ONCE to turn the system back off.
For those that like full control of their HVAC system...BMW offered the IHKR which used dials and bowden cables to control the HVAC system. But this is something that a buyer needed to order specifically or look for on the used market:

I have the "Manual" system in my X. I thought that came with the "Sport" package. Sort of like the RS package for a 911 which deleted a lot of the "Luxury" options on the car.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDikkens View Post
So imagine this...it is a 98 degree day here in sunny Pueblo, Colorado. I get in the X and turn her on. The auto climate control comes on with a setting of 90 degrees no matter what. And to answer your question, yes. I can change the temp. Annoying. I really don't want to make it seem like a huge deal it is just an annoyance to drop it to cool all summer long every time I turn on the vehicle. So I was hoping there was a way to program the climate control to come on every time I turn on the X at say...72 degrees. if there is a simple fix great...if not it is still a wonderful vehicle and I will not curse her for it.

P.s. thank you for your responses, in reading through this forum your responses are very insightful and helpful.
The vehicle should remember the last temperature you had set. If it is not there's an issue. Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations as what to check.