Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
Z3 Hit and Run!

Early this morning while driving to work, my lil roadster slid off the road and came to rest in a yard about a foot from a telephone pole. Sure felt lucky I didnt hit it. Unfortunately couldn't get it out (due to black ice on Fairmont.) So, i hiked to a gas station and hitched a ride to work.

Leave work with my boss in his 4x4 to find that the car had been rear ended into the pole.
Homeowner was luckily there to get there license plate number before they drove off.

Bashed my hood, broke the front bumper, headlight is toast, inner fender destroyed, popped welds, rear bumper hanging, side indicators shattered.

I want to cry. Thank the stars for insurance and the police.

I'm gonna find this bastard.
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Dave

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster 2.8 5spd
Sad story. Evidently the culprit found the same ice spot that you did. I hope you are able to catch up to him and get his insurance to resolve the issue(and to fix you car).
Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
YYZED3M Driver

Mein Auto: '99 ////M Roadster
Poor Guy!!!

Mine was hit on Black Friday night... backed into by a red truck... hood, headlight, marker light, front bumper cover.... red truck... best description ever by a witness...

Hope your situation improves!!

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Luckily, the homeowner happened to be a former reporter for the news paper i work for and can provide witness to the incident.

Problem, the frame buckled under the hood.

I live this car more than most people, animals, and objects.
More than a good portion of my family.

This breaks my heart.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
It's probably not the frame, but the radiator support, not a big deal. Hope it gets sorted soon!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

Update: found the lady who hit me. No insurance (big surprise) and shes in a lot more trouble than she wouldve been if she wouldve just stopped.

Police report should be back tomorrow so the claims can go through.

I just want my little red wagon fixed!!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
YYZED3M Driver

Mein Auto: '99 ////M Roadster
Baby Z.....

Glad that you were able to find her.... hopefully you will be back in your car in time for beautiful spring weather!!!

Still trying to sort mine out!!! Metro Nashville Police still haven't gotten the police report done.... finally my insurance said just go ahead and get estimates and get it fixed.....

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

Crappy, I hope all goes well with yours! It always seems like when you're in a hurry to get it done, the rest of the world isn't
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

Update.

Cars is totaled. Three shops later and the bills are too high to do a restore.
Gonna buy it back and do the fix myself so I can get a rebuilt title and carry insurance on her.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Sorry to hear that. Hope that your restoration goes well.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyZ View Post
Update.

Cars is totaled. Three shops later and the bills are too high to do a restore.
Gonna buy it back and do the fix myself so I can get a rebuilt title and carry insurance on her.

Oh so sorry to hear Get a list of what you need it'll make everything easier when putting it back together. Was there any frame damage?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast

I have made up the list and should be able to fix it up right in my budget.

The frame damage was around the radiator mount/cross brace. It popped the welded seam for the wheel well and rumpled the front leftside above the well. Doesn't look bad but I'm told that any amount of frame damage, even in such a simple spot, in no good.

The attached picture is what it looked like immediately following the incident.
Looks like a simple fix till you start to dig into it.

Thanks for the condolences everyone! I love this car and will have her back together, if not even better, soon.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
I'm very sorry to hear this sad story. It is what I fear could happen to my toy.

The Rdstr has been on the tender in the garage since the middle of December. Usually the snow and ice doesn't stay around as long as it has this year and I can typically get out several times in January. This year we had almost three weeks of the high temp being 20 or less. It finally started to look like I could pull the baby out of the garage for a reaquaint me drive this weekend until the snow fell again this morning. I can't wait for spring to banish the snow, ice and sand from the roads.

Good luck with the restore.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

Wish I wouldn't have taken it out that day, but the newspaper I work for stops for nothing so off I went. Not to mention its my only means of transportation.

The weather here in East TN changes CONSTANTLY. Two days before the incident it was 65 and sunny. Then an ice storm!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:21 PM

Whats your plan for repairs? I assume you'll take it for some frame straightening, then fix the weld, new radiator support, bumper, hood and headlight? Also, what was the total repairs quoted? mileage on the car?