Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 328is
No heat at idle - thermostat? Fault codes etc.

Hello All,

Well if it ain't one thing....it is another. Just got the starter done, and the VCG. But lo and behold, here is a new set of problems:

Issue # 1: I now dont have heat at idle, the heat comes on strong at even minimal speed (upto 30mph). What could it be? I checked the coolant level in the reservoir, seemed quite full, topped it off to be sure. The fan in front of the radiator was not running i.e the fan that is between the radiator and the bumper not the one closer to the motor with various belts. Is this a problem, should it be spinning at idle too?

Btw, the torque app (see below) showed that the engine coolant temp was about 188 deg F at idle, and about 150 degs when cruising at 65mph. The engine temp needle on the dash stays square in the center for the most part but I noticed that sometimes of late it tends to come up only till about the 1/3rd mark on the dial.

Issue # 2: I just bought the ODB 2.0 code reader bluetooth thingie and the Torque app, and found the following codes: P0420 (cat system efficiency below threshold), P1423, P1421. It does not say what #s 1421 and 1423 stand for.

An indy mechanic who had charged me a fortune when I first bought the car had told me that the intake manifold boot was torn. Could this be causing above issue # 2?

Waah I keep getting these irritating expenses when I am trying to get that suspension refresh done. It will now just have to be postponed!
Advertisement