Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuorealfa1 View Post
hmm ok... but with 639 BMW Assist you have the Combox Telematik in the car... so it looks like it have to be a combox there.
How i know the Combox replaced the MULF in 09/10.
Did you order your FSC by the dealer? Where they able to order it?
No. U.S. dealers said it could not be done. I went to an outfit overseas. It was $200 USD. PM me if you want their contact information. I am heading out the door now, but can respond in a couple hours.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
hmm ok... but with 639 BMW Assist you have the Combox Telematik in the car... so it looks like it have to be a combox there.
How i know the Combox replaced the MULF in 09/10.
Did you order your FSC by the dealer? Where they able to order it?
Maybe. I thought you could get BMW Assist with the TCU / MULF setup, but I am not sure. Frankly, I see no reason at all why 639 is required anyway, as it has nothing to do with BMW Assist itself, unless of course that is their roundabout way of calling out the Combox.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 09-23-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 5er GT 535d
i think Assist or Combox is required for the Internet Connectivity. Because I didn't also see that someone has retrofitted BMW Online or LIve with the MULF ( or did someone?). Otherwise the Combox would be useless. Or just usefull for the A2DP functionality.

2010 BMW 535d GT
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
i think Assist or Combox is required for the Internet Connectivity. Because I didn't also see that someone has retrofitted BMW Online or LIve with the MULF ( or did someone?). Otherwise the Combox would be useless. Or just usefull for the A2DP functionality.
The combox probably is required for the enhanced Bluetooth functionality, but the internet Connection for 6NR is though the phone SIM and data plan and not the car SIM used by BMW Assist so I just don't think BMW Assist is required.

I also have BMW Live and Internet working, but again I have a combox.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 09-23-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
This seems to have been covered off already but I had the retrofit from bimmertech. They purchased and activated the FSC code as part of the package. I didn't see how it was done but it's obviously possible as I have fully functional 6NR now through the USB/AUX rather than the phone dock. I'm actually quite glad about this now as the iPhone 5 won't be compatible with 6NR. I installed the hardware myself, it took me about 2 hours being cautious as it was the first time I'd dismantled the car.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 AM

Did you receive the FSC Code from Bimmertech?
Why should the iPhone 5 not be compatible?

2010 BMW 535d GT
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 AM

No, I never received the code. It was imported directly to the car without me ever seeing it.

The iPhone 5 will be incompatible because the new lightning port does not support analogue video. Hence plugin and video playback will not work. You may be able to get the BMW apps and standard music to work with the new lightning to 30 pin adapter that apple have released but then it would never fit in the dock so you would loose the inductive aerial connection to the car antenna.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigz95 View Post
No, I never received the code. It was imported directly to the car without me ever seeing it.
Hmmm ok. Not very customer friendly... ;-) You have to pay the coding again if you have an SW update by the dealer?

Is there a possibility to read out the FSC with E-sys?

2010 BMW 535d GT
Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 AM

I hope not. I have no idea if you can read this with E-sys. Why would you want to see the code?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Hmmm ok. Not very customer friendly... ;-) You have to pay the coding again if you have an SW update by the dealer?

Is there a possibility to read out the FSC with E-sys?
You can extract the FSC Cert in E-Sys; however, while Dealer Programming will wipe out your custom coding, it should not have any impact on the FSC stored and activated in your FSC. After a software update, you should only need to code 6NR and that's it.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM

@shawn

It does not or it should not?
Do you know if someone has experience with this?

Thank you

2010 BMW 535d GT
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
@shawn

It does not or it should not?
Do you know if someone has experience with this?

Thank you
FSC codes are permanently written to the CIC, and Programming does not affect these at all. It is possible to intentionally deactivate them, but this is not part of programming.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Hate to bring back an old thread but I am in a dilemma what to do.
I have a F25 2013 X3 Bought the car premade with Technology and Nav Package. I want to have video from my Iphone. Asof now I programmed my car with E-Sys and have added many useful changed like Video in motion etc...

I believe all I will need is the 6NR retrofit cable and then the FSC code. The problem is I have no idea what software is required and how to get an upload the FSC code unless I pay someone to do this remotley.
Also the new iphone 5 does not have video output via the lightning adapter as stated above.
I guess my question is is there any benefit of adding the cable for me?
What I really want to do is incorporate an AppleTV in my car to play music, vidoes, and have screen over a car Wifi router, But have never seen if it is possible to hook up a HDMI or even RCA cables to the screen. Is there maybe an aftermarket box that will do this?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magas View Post
Hate to bring back an old thread but I am in a dilemma what to do.
I have a F25 2013 X3 Bought the car premade with Technology and Nav Package. I want to have video from my Iphone. Asof now I programmed my car with E-Sys and have added many useful changed like Video in motion etc...

I believe all I will need is the 6NR retrofit cable and then the FSC code. The problem is I have no idea what software is required and how to get an upload the FSC code unless I pay someone to do this remotley.
Also the new iphone 5 does not have video output via the lightning adapter as stated above.
I guess my question is is there any benefit of adding the cable for me?
What I really want to do is incorporate an AppleTV in my car to play music, vidoes, and have screen over a car Wifi router, But have never seen if it is possible to hook up a HDMI or even RCA cables to the screen. Is there maybe an aftermarket box that will do this?
Do you have factory 6NF Cradle?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 PM

If you have an iPhone 5 there is no point as it doesn't support iPadOut so the plugin will never work (at least until apple or a third party provide support for this, which I think is unlikely). If your after the other features of 6NR like FB, twitter etc then those features should still work.

Personally I wouldn't waste the money on something you won't be able to use properly.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigz95 View Post
If you have an iPhone 5 there is no point as it doesn't support iPadOut so the plugin will never work (at least until apple or a third party provide support for this, which I think is unlikely). If your after the other features of 6NR like FB, twitter etc then those features should still work.

Personally I wouldn't waste the money on something you won't be able to use properly.
I retrofitted 6NR with FSC Code only. I do not have 6NF, nor the FBAS Video connetion to CIC. I could care less about Video, or Facebook, Twitter, etc., but the streaming Pandora and other Music Apps made it worthwhile to me.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM

I always forget about Pandora as it's not available in the UK. I guess if you're after that then the solution you've engineered would be worth it.

I only use the plugin feature with iTunes Match and that works well for me but does require iPodOut (error in my previous post) for the video connection which won't work on an iPhone 5.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: f07 535
Hi MJGood
seek some help from you, a good pal of mine managed to get the FSC code for activation 6NR for my F07. now my plugin cant run due to no 6NF. my car has 6FL. from what i read so far understand the following can be done:
1. buy the USB cable 61119215854.
2. buy the USB hub 84109237654.
3. Buy the baseplate for 6NR.
3. install the baseplate, hub and pull the usb extension from baseplate to combobox.

am I correct?

Do i have to do anything such as:
1. connect anything to the new usb video hub
2. any requirement for coding or such?

thanks a million!

Last edited by contifan; 01-23-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Interesting... a local workshop seems to have found a way to activate 6NR in 5 minutes... not sure if it involves FSC codes, but the features (as advertised) seems to be limited to the "Apps" without video (Pandora, Aupeo, Facebook, etc)... anyone found anything new in this regard?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 AM

5 mins will be surprising to me.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by contifan View Post
5 mins will be surprising to me.
I'm guessing false alarm, the rate the shop is charging, most likely FSC code is involved, but VO coding 6NR should take about 5-10 mins assuming everything were pre-started, and no waiting for the "logging" of esys
Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Hi MJGood
seek some help from you, a good pal of mine managed to get the FSC code for activation 6NR for my F07. now my plugin cant run due to no 6NF. my car has 6FL. from what i read so far understand the following can be done:
3. install the baseplate, hub and pull the usb extension from baseplate to combobox.

am I correct?

thanks a million!
You can go the 6NF retrofit route, or you can do as many others have done and replace the 6FL USB Aux-In Connector with the USB A/V-In Connector from the Mini-Cooper.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: F10-520
If you are going for the 6NF route not need to get the USB HUB, get the USB cable directly connected to the combo box and baseplate, which currently that was what being installed on my car.

Quote:
Hi MJGood

am I correct?

thanks a million!

Last edited by dseah; 01-25-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 AM

Thanks very much for the replies!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: F25 X3 2012
I am having a nightmare trying to retrofit or more more precisely, "trying to find out if I can" retrofit 6NR in my car.

I have an X3 production date October 2012 - it has combox + Bluetooth + professional Navi + Assist + Connecteddrive + + + what it does not have is BMW apps 6NR cause no one told me about it when I placed my order

Now it seems like for a proper 6NR retrofit I need Combox + Prof Navi + 6FL + 6NF but on my Vin check all I have is 6NL (no mention of 6FL or 6NF) which is strange as I can connect my iphone4s via the USB in the centre console and get album art - I can even get album art if I use spotify or last FM and can control all from steering wheel (move up or down playlist) ! - I also have a base plate in the centre console - but I have not bought a Snapin adapter yet (cause of the lack of knowledge of BMW parts guy or at least that's what I think.)

Now obviously if my USB port can show album art for even apps running on the phone, it can only mean 6FL is present also if I have a base plate (with gold connectors on it) can it also mean that I also have 6NF (I am not sure here... please correct me).

The service part guy said I can't buy the media snap in because I do not have 6FL (he did a vin check) - but now I am certain that I have 6FL cause this document actually proves it: http://ebookbrowse.com/gdoc.php?id=4...0fb1f551719f31 (please check page 35 says 6FL is included in 6NL). So I am going back to the service guy to show him this doc.

The last part of the puzzle is 6NF - my vin does not mention this but I have the baseplate with proper gold connectors - again I believe this is also included in 6NL (but not sure) - the only mention of 6NF in the above document is on page 30 - says baseplate (only with 6NF) so my assumption that I have 6NF is the fact that I actually have a base plate in my car can anyone please confirm this?

I believe BMW have to have a long hard look at their option naming as it is a complete mess... a lot of us buying these expensive cars wouldn't care less about adding an important option if it only cost $150 (as is the case with 6NR for me) but because of their complete naming mess we miss out sometimes or think we missed out (as I think it is the case with me and my service guy)...

What I believe has happened here is that BMW has added a new option called 6NL which includes a couple of other options (6FL and 6NF) without making it completely clear to their dealers what it actually does or means....

Sorry about the long post.