BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E46 vs E83 cold start. And the winner is...

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  lgr122 
#1 ·
At about -10 degrees this morning, my wife's x3 had a rough time starting this morning, she cranked it for 5-10 seconds 3 times before it finally fired! Slllooowww cranks, too, and the battery was new in June. My trusty wagon fired right up like it was 65 degrees. Except that it didn't reach normal operating temp for over 20 min. But I am NOT impressed with the cold starting performance of the x3!

#2 ·
I have both as well, X3 i guess are prone to cold weather startup issues. I read a lot of threads on people having a real hard time. It was snowing this morning in VA, about 2 inches or so on the cars, decided to take the X3 to work today for AWD purposes. I usually leave the key in position 2 for a couple seconds to let the fuel lines open up before crank. Have you tried that?

I haven't had any issues with cold starts, granted its not -10*F like you

#3 ·
I have both as well, X3 i guess are prone to cold weather startup issues. I read a lot of threads on people having a real hard time. It was snowing this morning in VA, about 2 inches or so on the cars, decided to take the X3 to work today for AWD purposes. I usually leave the key in position 2 for a couple seconds to let the fuel lines open up before crank. Have you tried that?

I haven't had any issues with cold starts, granted its not -10*F like you
I do this every time and we've had subzero temps here in Iowa all week. It fires up every time.

#5 ·
We'll try that tomorrow morning. Though it seems like the fuel system should have been primed plenty by the 2 or 3 attempts at starting it before it did finally fire. This car has cranked relatively slowly with ANY cold weather, the cranking speed is directly correlated to the temperature. The e46 might crank a LITTLE slower but nothing like the x3. I've read a few of the cold start issue threads but for one, but as long as it starts I'm not going to get too worried.

#7 ·
In extremely cold weather, having a (heated) "battery blanket" and a heated oil dipstick are about the only thing that will make a real difference.
This is one area where AGM batteries have an advantage.

#8 ·
What do you suppose the difference is between my car and the X3? They're parked next to each other outside. The X3 is an '07, mine's an '01. Is the N52 3.0l engine higher compression and therefore harder to turn over? Or is that a crazy theory? My engine also has 80,000 more miles on it. The X3 maybe has more electrical stuff, but the e46 isn't exactly electrically simple. It also doesn't appear to lack for cranking amps, it just turns slowly.

As far as battery heat, I suppose a trickle charger would also help keep the battery warm. While there isn't an issue with the charge on the battery, it would serve the purpose of keeping it a little warm, right?

#9 ·
What kind batteries do they have?
Maybe your e46 just have more spare capacity and e83 is designed tighter to the limit?
Generally increasing battery capacity can help any car in cold start, but some kind heating device can be even better.

#11 ·
In Russia I saw one old man who was taking his battery inside his apartment every night and then bringing it back in the morning. Maybe bit extra trouble that way also, but i'm sure he didn't have too big problems about starting his old car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.