Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
Finishing off the front end..

Hey guys, I have replaced my thrust arms and wishbones with OEM arms.. now it seems maybe taking away the play they had put the strain on the steering, although I may be wrong.. I tightened my wishbones pretty tight, but I felt a little clunk a few days later so I checked them and they were loose! Not ready to fall off, but not tight anymore.. I wrenched them down alot more, and figured maybe break-in plus maybe I didn't tighten enough.. anyway, now I am hearing clanking noises here and there, so I check them again and they are fine, nice and tight.. unfortunately work is so hectic I don't even have time to eat, so I haven't had time to figure it out, well tonight I just finished my last client meeting and I go to leave and notice with wheels locked to side to side I get alot of popping noises from under the front end.. I started to think maybe the arms loosened on me again or something but they are still tight.. so I am guessing maybe tierods going.. I did some searching and I found arms, which are new, tierods, struts, and strut mounts as the causes for these sounds.. anyone have any idea what to check first? I will probably replace the tierods tomorrow just to get them new, and I've been wanting to do struts because I am sure they need it but at $500 I have been holding off for a couple weeks.. but will obviously do whatever needs to be done right away.. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750i Sport
Hmm...let me know how you make out. I hear a very light clunking sound here and there on my car. I've had it looked at and they can't see ANY play with anything at all....which is leading me to believe it's the strut mount. I just haven't had time to get it back to a shop. Mine sound isn't all the time and it's not bad...but I hear it and it annoys me!