7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
How to install aftermarket amp and subs
There is a similar post on e90post, but this is more specific to our series. I finally decided to use the harness i got from @Technic and thanks to ilya for fixing my L7. I
***IMPORTANT*** Your ASK and L7 should be properly working for this to work.
What you need?
Aftermarket amp and subs in a box
Amplifier Installation Kit
Basic tools like screw drivers or simple drill.
1. Disconnect your battery (Both Terminals), please follow the proper procedures for doing this.
2. Prepare your installation kit. i got this kit from Oreilly's for like 30 bucks. It depends on the amp watt you plan to use.
3. You will need to clean out your trunk and remove the mats if you plan to install in the trunk as i did. This is to make it easy for you to run some short wires. We are lucky we have our battery in the trunk
4. Prepare the harness for install, it looks like this
5. You can disconnect and remove your L7 now. Follow the instructions for doing this.
6. Run the length of your power cable for the aftermarket amp required to have enough to reach where you will position your amp. You can install the fuse holder (NO MORE THAN SIX INCHES) from where it will connect to the battery terminal. DO NOT INSTALL THE FUSE IN THE HOLDER YET. AND DO NOT CONNECT IT TO THE BATTERY TERMINAL YET. You can strap it down with some strips.
7. Do the same for you ground cable for the length from the aftermarket amp to a suitable of the car. I found a place for it on the roof of the trunk. You can hook up the ground cable now to the chassis and leave the other end hanging for now.
8. Hook the harness to the the first end of the harness to where the L7 usually plugs in.
9. Connect the other appropriate parts with the white ends.
10. Connect the other end of the harness to the L7 amp and connect the fiber optic as well as it normally is.
11.Install you L7 back in place holding it with the clip
12. Attach your remote turn on wire that came with your installation kit to Technic harness remote turn on wire. Give it enough length to reach you aftermarket amp as usual.
13. Hook up the RCA cables that came with your installation kit to the RCA ends of Technic harness.
14. Find a suitable space by the L7 to place Technic harness. I simply just hang it somewhere in there..
All your critical wiring is pretty much done now, until you get ready to hoop them up to your subs and amp.
15. Mount your amp on the speaker box. Easier this way for me. And then connect the speaker wires that came with you installation kit and position the box in the appropriate location.
16.You can now hook up your amplifier power cable to the positive terminal. Hook up the positive terminal to you batter. YOU CAN NOW INSTALL THE FUSE in the fuse holder after that.
17. Connect your battery ground wire to the battery negative terminal.
18. You can now connect all appropriate end to the aftermarket amp. The amp will have a POWER, GROUND, and REMOTE TURN ON . Connect them appropriately.
19. Connect the RCA cable to the RCA ports on the aftermarket amp. And connect the speaker wires as well.
20. A little bit of clean up and you are done. DONT FORGET TO TUNE YOUR AFTERMARKET AMP, I forgot that part initially and was wondering where my bass wass. After that even i thought the bass was unbearable.
|aftermarket amp, aftermarket sub, bass, installing aftermarket amp, l7, logic 7, logic 7 amp, logic7, subwoofer|
|Today's Posts Search|