Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerharp View Post
I've never bought a car because of image or status, but rather for its quality, durability, comfort, drive-ability, economics...... why I've owned two Peugeots and an Alfa, Mazda CX-7
Sorry, not buying (or leasing this thread).
You have owned BMW, Peugeot, Alfa, and Mazda. With the possible exception of the CX-7, none of these cars are really about economics (peugeot may have been cheap to buy, but terrible car to maintain). Also, BMW is known for many things..including the need to be repaired expensively.

As for "Beemer"....my baby "Beeemer" is awesome. Love her. My next one will be leased (nothing wrong with that).

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
104,000 miles on my 2009 X3 that I bought new. I did have an engine oil heat exchanger gasket begin to weep just off warranty. Part was $20.00 and the E-Torx socket set to change it was $25.00. It's been virtually trouble free ever since.

My '07 E90 didn't give me any problems either..... though I didn't keep it beyond the 3 year lease.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
To chime in: You know, I don't think it's quite the fact that "BMW drivers are notorious assholes", it's that PEOPLE are notorious assholes. I can't say I get flipped off on the highway, or anywhere, I tend to do the flipping off myself. I can't stand people that don't use their turn signals, or do that half ass "one signal blip" ****. Yes, thank you for using one, that I barely saw. I'll make sure to fake incredible neck pain when you hit me. Or how people tend to NOT let me merge onto the highway, and instead keep driving 45-50 on the right hand side of the road. Seriously? Get off the highway and take a bus or taxi. Ridiculous.

I think what it boils down to is, one person got cut off by a BMW driver (get over it, it's not the brand, it's the driver), and told their friends about it, and that in turn, forms a cult following of friends who look at other BMW drivers as the "people that are likely to cut you off".

It's a little ridiculous, but it's the reality we live in.

As far as repairs, no issues with my car, and I'm about to hit 142,xxx miles. It might be the fact that the car was ALWAYS taken on long highway drives, but the love I have for the car will keep it going for a long time. I liked the analogy of how someone with a different brand of car would only repair something if it REALLY needed fixing, versus the guy who loves his car and repairs EVERYTHING, even if ti isn't all that important. That's what separates someone who has a true passion, from someone who just gets by. I realize it's a little oddball to compare cars to life, but when you take care of something as inanimate as a car, it just shows you have a passion for something that most others can't relate to. It's really good stuff...

Last edited by BiHoTTo115; 01-25-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
or do that half ass "one signal blip" ****. Yes, thank you for using one, that I barely saw. I'll make sure to fake incredible neck pain when you hit me. ..
You seem angry, and not willing to look at the other persons point of view. Some people hit their turn signal and think they hit it hard enough (not all are blessed with our quick tap option). Mistakes happen. I am OK with the person who hit it and only got one blip, vs the person who didn't use it at all.

Faking incredible pain? That seems like a dick move. if you are hurt, fine, but faking it? Not only is that fraud, it's one of the things that shows the systemic problems with our society.

Don't be so angry. Not worth it, probably shorten your life span.

Also, careful of the finger flip. People have gotten killed for doing that stuff

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 87 E30 325i
Quote:
...I immediately noticed that other drivers would speed up to prevent me from merging onto the freeway or to change lanes. I would be shown drivers'middle fingers when passing or honked at when stopped to parallel park.

..I noticed that while wearing polarized sunglasses one cannot read the radio display...

Sorry folks, it's just a car and not a very good one at that...
:
You are getting a middle finger perhaps not because of the car but because how you drive the car. Don't drive it like a half blind 90 year old. Who wants to get behind a slow car merging into fast traffic on the highway? Tired of having horns honked at you? a: merge into traffic at the speed of traffic and not slower while meekly accelerating with your brake lights and b: don't be the slowest car in the left lane. Stick to a slow nondescript four banger, brown in color, and people will understand you and your driving habits.

Saying that SUVs get blown around in the wind is greatly disrespectful of BMW X3 and X5 models, these navigate the road and weather better than any Japanese or American car, even in the highest winds.

As far as your polarized sunglasses problem - Get Used To It. Every high quality display is polarized. The polarization you complain about exists with smartphones, iPads, LCD monitors and TVs. Modern flat panel displays in aircraft cockpits are polarized and that is why aviation sunglasses are not. Some cars, like Land Rovers for instance, have polarized windshields. In part the polarization is used to manage reflections and glare and to help create a crisper display.

Practically every car owner has some connection with the brand of their car. The Ford vs Chevy is case and point. BMW owners are no less attached. After all it is just a car, like every other mass produced auto. Somewhere deep inside though you know a car is not just a car; otherwise you'd still be driving your AMC Gremlin.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
52,000 miles and still love how the car drives. Over it? Pffft...I love this car more than any other car I have ever owned before (we had a leased G35 coupe which was very enjoyable as well, but it was my wife's.)

Anyway, sorry for your troubles and all, but as long as BMW makes cars that make me smile when I drive them, I'll continue checking them out. Though I'd love to upgrade to a P-car eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: E91
RE: COMMENTS BY "ONAGER" .....LET'S JUST SAY THAT YOU'RE ENTITLED TO YOUR OWN OPINION, BUT NOT YOUR OWN FACTS....
You are getting a middle finger perhaps not because of the car but because how you drive the car. Don't drive it like a half blind 90 year old. Who wants to get behind a slow car merging into fast traffic on the highway? Tired of having horns honked at you? a: merge into traffic at the speed of traffic and not slower while meekly accelerating with your brake lights and b: don't be the slowest car in the left lane. Stick to a slow nondescript four banger, brown in color, and people will understand you and your driving habits. SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW I DRIVE....WHILE YOU'RE AT IT GO AHEAD AND TELL THE BOARD WHAT HAND I WRITE WITH AND WHAT CITY MY FATHER WAS BORN IN.

Saying that SUVs get blown around in the wind is greatly disrespectful of BMW X3 and X5 models, these navigate the road and weather better than any Japanese or American car, even in the highest winds. WOW AGAIN...DID SOMEONE CHANGE THE LAWS OF PHYSICS? THE GREATER THE SURFACE AREA OF A SAIL, THE MORE ENERGY IS TRANSFERRED. YOUR COMMENT IS LUDICROUS.

As far as your polarized sunglasses problem - Get Used To It. Every high quality display is polarized. The polarization you complain about exists with smartphones, iPads, LCD monitors and TVs. Modern flat panel displays in aircraft cockpits are polarized and that is why aviation sunglasses are not. Some cars, like Land Rovers for instance, have polarized windshields. In part the polarization is used to manage reflections and glare and to help create a crisper display. THE FAA WARNS AGAINST USE OF POLARIZED LENSES FOR THE REASONS YOU SITE HOWEVER, WHAT ABOUT THE DOT AND NTSB.....? REGARDLESS, DISPLAYS IN MOTOR VEHICLES THAT ARE UNREADABLE WITH POLARIZED LENSES ARE UNSAFE AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.

Practically every car owner has some connection with the brand of their car. The Ford vs Chevy is case and point. BMW owners are no less attached. After all it is just a car, like every other mass produced auto. Somewhere deep inside though you know a car is not just a car; otherwise you'd still be driving your AMC Gremlin. IF IT WERE "JUST A CAR" THE "CONNECTION" WOULD NOT BE RELEVANT.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
REGARDLESS, DISPLAYS IN MOTOR VEHICLES THAT ARE UNREADABLE WITH POLARIZED LENSES ARE UNSAFE AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.
The only polarized displays in the car that are unreadable are the radio display and display showing temperature selected. Neither are necessary for safe operation of the car and you probably shouldn't be staring at them anyway while the car is in motion.

A little tip: Ranting for the sake of ranting usually doesn't get much appreciation around here. Good luck with your ride.

Quote:
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
HKD

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Titan Silv Red
08 e92 bought cpo at 29k. Now have 76k. Just usual upkeep and maintenance. Not cheap but I'm smiling every time I get into it. Ordered another e92.

Anyone interested pm me. Titan silver with red corral 6mt prem nav sport iPod adapter prem sound comfort access.
Cheers

2013 e92 335i Titan Silver Corral Red
6MT Prem Nav M Sport Comft Access PDC HK Sound Fire Seats
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
Crazy, getting cut-off happened to me twice this week. I never noticed such blatant discourtesy (not to mention inches from high speed wreckage) in previous years of driving my current car or any car. The highest-level defensive driving techniques are back in order...

Meth.

Heh heh heh....love it when a challange comes along....
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Closed on 26K miles the other day, I needed a new alternator 10K miles ago and 2-3 software updates that finally solved the rough-idle-on-cold-start issues. Oh, and a rattle from the drivers side trim....

The most expensive thing has been and will remain the car payment at about $600 monthly (after an $10K deposit, too!). Dont whine about occasional repairs and maintenance, be afraid of car payments!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry, not buying (or leasing this thread).
You have owned BMW, Peugeot, Alfa, and Mazda. With the possible exception of the CX-7, none of these cars are really about economics (peugeot may have been cheap to buy, but terrible car to maintain). Also, BMW is known for many things..including the need to be repaired expensively.

As for "Beemer"....my baby "Beeemer" is awesome. Love her. My next one will be leased (nothing wrong with that).

>AHEM<

Furb, a Beemer has two wheels. Bimmers have 4.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
RE: COMMENTS BY "ONAGER" .....LET'S JUST SAY THAT YOU'RE ENTITLED TO YOUR OWN OPINION, BUT NOT YOUR OWN FACTS....
You are getting a middle finger perhaps not because of the car but because how you drive the car. Don't drive it like a half blind 90 year old. Who wants to get behind a slow car merging into fast traffic on the highway? Tired of having horns honked at you? a: merge into traffic at the speed of traffic and not slower while meekly accelerating with your brake lights and b: don't be the slowest car in the left lane. Stick to a slow nondescript four banger, brown in color, and people will understand you and your driving habits. SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW I DRIVE....WHILE YOU'RE AT IT GO AHEAD AND TELL THE BOARD WHAT HAND I WRITE WITH AND WHAT CITY MY FATHER WAS BORN IN.

Saying that SUVs get blown around in the wind is greatly disrespectful of BMW X3 and X5 models, these navigate the road and weather better than any Japanese or American car, even in the highest winds. WOW AGAIN...DID SOMEONE CHANGE THE LAWS OF PHYSICS? THE GREATER THE SURFACE AREA OF A SAIL, THE MORE ENERGY IS TRANSFERRED. YOUR COMMENT IS LUDICROUS.

As far as your polarized sunglasses problem - Get Used To It. Every high quality display is polarized. The polarization you complain about exists with smartphones, iPads, LCD monitors and TVs. Modern flat panel displays in aircraft cockpits are polarized and that is why aviation sunglasses are not. Some cars, like Land Rovers for instance, have polarized windshields. In part the polarization is used to manage reflections and glare and to help create a crisper display. THE FAA WARNS AGAINST USE OF POLARIZED LENSES FOR THE REASONS YOU SITE HOWEVER, WHAT ABOUT THE DOT AND NTSB.....? REGARDLESS, DISPLAYS IN MOTOR VEHICLES THAT ARE UNREADABLE WITH POLARIZED LENSES ARE UNSAFE AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.

Practically every car owner has some connection with the brand of their car. The Ford vs Chevy is case and point. BMW owners are no less attached. After all it is just a car, like every other mass produced auto. Somewhere deep inside though you know a car is not just a car; otherwise you'd still be driving your AMC Gremlin. IF IT WERE "JUST A CAR" THE "CONNECTION" WOULD NOT BE RELEVANT.
Welcome to the 'Fest.

I'm sure you will find lots of friends here.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SD View Post
Bimmer.
Sorry for your problems. You've had more than your share and I know it's frustrating. I've driven BMW's for quite a while and have had next to no problems. Ceretainly no more than the Toyota's I drove prior to BMW. Maybe it's time for you to move on. Good luck with whatever you do...
You should try driving a super cute Honda Fit.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
CPO is certified problem known and returned by owner. Always lease or buy new, the odds of reliability are so much better.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
You seem angry, and not willing to look at the other persons point of view. Some people hit their turn signal and think they hit it hard enough (not all are blessed with our quick tap option). Mistakes happen. I am OK with the person who hit it and only got one blip, vs the person who didn't use it at all.

Faking incredible pain? That seems like a dick move. if you are hurt, fine, but faking it? Not only is that fraud, it's one of the things that shows the systemic problems with our society.

Don't be so angry. Not worth it, probably shorten your life span.

Also, careful of the finger flip. People have gotten killed for doing that stuff
Nah, heat of the moment, I'd never fake pains just for the hell of it, I'm all talk haha.

But seriously though, the amount of no signal use on US highways is really starting to bug me. Can't be EVERYONE is incapable of pushing a stalk. No excuses.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Nothing *use* to drive like a Bee em double ya back in the day. Everyone would come close but nobody could figure out the magic formula. I will never and never have had a car that I bought because of the badge. I get them because they excite me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
>AHEM<

Furb, a Beemer has two wheels. Bimmers have 4.
Furby spends most of the time driving on two wheels regardless of how many the vehicle is equipped with.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Before I had a BMW other drivers completely ignored me.
Now that I am a BMW driver things have changed.
The drivers that used to ignore me are now apparently totally unaware of my existence.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-25-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Well Harp, it's clear enough that you are left handed. But in what city your father was born? How would anyone know that?

Your post seems inconsistent; an emotion based construct. The surface area of a sail for instance. Wouldn't many factors come to bear, aside from square inchage?

Surface area, indeed. Good Lord. We are alarmed by your rambling evolution of foundational logic and propensity of capitalization.

Please explain yourself if you can.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
Quote:

....here are the major ones:
31,000 miles the automatic door locking system failed...the night I purchased it...on my anniversary....failed when the valet brought the car after dropping $400 on a lovely dinner
31,000 miles....somehow, some way, BMW's expert CPO crew MISSED the grinding left rear wheel bearing..warranty.
31,050 miles on..I noticed that while wearing polarized sunglasses one cannot read the radio display...Somehow nobody at BMW knows about this though it's all over the web...more fun...my Blackberry Storm2 that supposedly worked with the on board hands free system didn't work properly...(It works fine with my Samsung Galaxy).....
50,000 miles or so...the tube for the windshield washer leaks....two weeks earlier and it would have been covered by the first part of my CPO warranty, but now it's almost $400...ha ha...hey, none of my cars ever had that fail, not even either of my Peugeots...
54,000 miles...electric water pump failed...covered by warranty with $50 deductible....
58,000...the left outside mirror adjustment range no longer allows proper adjustment...another $50 warranty repair...it's been going on for a while...
I could, perhaps, understand the grumbling here. That is until I saw the mentioning of dropping $400 on food in one sitting for, presumably, 2 people.

$500 over nearly 3 years of driving vs. $400 in three hours?

People can spend their money how they want. But the values placed on money here seem a bit skewed.

Plus the Hollywood Hills have got to be about one of the worst places to drive a Bimmer. The roads are terrible. Think NYC with steep grades and turns. Prime territory for a Lexus or Benz.

...roughly 8k miles here. No issues save a right side rearview mirror that does not aim for the ground when shifted in reverse. Figure that'll get fixed under warranty when the car goes in next time.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultr View Post
You are comparing a new Mazda to someone else's used second hand BMW in terms of reliability? Buy new and take care of it, then you might have grounds to make a comparison.
lol his numbers say he spent $500 bucks over 50k miles who in their right mind wouldn't take that.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
His posts generally are a double in that they peg both the BS & TROLL meters

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
His posts generally are a double in that they peg both the BS & TROLL meters
Capslock is WOT for the internet. Get owned, sonnn.

-360noscopeblazeit420blackopsninja@XBL

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE

Last edited by CT; 01-26-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: I think I did that right. Did I do that right?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
The only polarized displays in the car that are unreadable are the radio display and display showing temperature selected. Neither are necessary for safe operation of the car and you probably shouldn't be staring at them anyway while the car is in motion.
I kind of thought the inability to read the displays with polarized sunglasses was a safety feature intended to keep the driver from getting distracted.

But then BMW went and changed everything with the LCI E90 and now both can be read while wearing polarized sunglasses.

Quote:
A little tip: Ranting for the sake of ranting usually doesn't get much appreciation around here. Good luck with your ride.
Yep-per on that. Although it sounds like maybe the OP might want to check into whether the CA Lemon Law could get them out of their misery er, ride. There have been other owners who have been able to get out of CPO cars once they hit the magic threshold of 4 failed HP fuel pumps.

FWIW, my experience in LA is that if you hold up traffic, you get the horn and the middle-fingered wave regardless of what car you drive. Ask Toyota Prius owners about their experiences.