Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Exclamation J.J. Abrams To Direct STAR WARS Episode: VII

He already directs the Star Trek franchise....

I have consulted with the Jedi Council... Not pleased they are!

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...221511526.html

Quote:

Can someone do both "Star Trek" and "Star Wars"? Apparently so.

It looks like J.J. Abrams will be the director of "Star Wars: Episode VII," the first "Star Wars" film under the Disney banner and the first installment of a planned new trilogy, according to reports published Thursday, though neither Lucasfilm nor Abrams have officially confirmed the news.

This is surprising news, as not only is Abrams the captain of a certain other sci-fi action adventure tentpole series, he also said back in November that he didn't want the "Star Wars" job.

"I have some original stuff I am working on next," said Abrams in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, though he made it clear that his declining the offer isn't because he's not a fan.

"As a kid I was always a fan of special effects," he said. "Watching movies I was constantly trying to figure out how they did it, whatever the effect was. 'Star Wars' was the first movie that blew my mind in that way; it didn’t matter how they did any of it because it was all so overwhelmingly and entirely great."

Well, Abrams may now be the one who's overseeing all that great stuff after all. The Force is apparently strong with Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy, who may have performed a Jedi mind trick on Abrams in getting him to commit to a trip to a galaxy far, far away.

Fans and commentators took to Twitter to express their surprise, and in some cases, unhappiness that the same director would be at the helm of the two biggest science fiction movie franchises.
~ Big Marcus
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
The Entertainment Guru

I personally believe he can pull it off if anyone!

~ Big Marcus
Old 01-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
dunno - recent star-trek films have been crap imo compared to the earlier ones...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
dunno - recent star-trek films have been crap imo compared to the earlier ones...
Really? He did only one so far, right, and it was excellent.

I think it's awesome news.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post

He did a great job with Star Trek and can't help but do better than Lucas did with episodes 1-2, though the third was good enough.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post

I'm actually reading the synopsis of the 2009 film and I'm not sure if I saw it or not - so I might have jumped the gun on this judgement - Insurrection was bleh imo.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
So it will have a typical Abrams style of no real climax as the story builds until it just sort of ends?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
I still haven't forgiven JJ Abrams for what he did to us with Cloverfield. I am going to have to work very hard at trying -hopefully I'll be able to before this movie is made.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
So it will have a typical Abrams style of no real climax as the story builds until it just sort of ends?

That sounds like a perfectly fair criticism of most of his work...

Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM
The Entertainment Guru

I don't care what NOBODY says... His Star Trek movie was "OUTSTANDING" in every aspect.

The more I think about it, if he takes time to watch and review Lucas originals and adds his own touch and today's technology... possibly EPIC!

~ Big Marcus
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
Jar Jar Abrams...I love it.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
I mean really, you could just watch the originals except don't watch the last 30 minutes. That would pretty much give you the JJ Abrams version.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
I'm not a huge movie critic, but I am a huge star wars fan....and I just don't know about this. Seems like all of Abrams' stuff is made to keep you in your seat, while the original star wars made me WANT to be in my seat. The last star trek was cool, but I can tell you almost nothing about the plot/story, just that it was a cool show. Yeah, I don't know about this...
Old 01-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachiepie View Post
The last star trek was cool, but I can tell you almost nothing about the plot/story, just that it was a cool show.
It was about.... ummm... I know it had old Spock and new Spock, so something about time travel... I do vaguely remember something about a Romulan, but that could be the previous movie.

I'm a major fan of the Star Trek TV series, but the movies have varied between tolerable and total suckage.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
In episode 6, the evil emperor was dead, Vader was dead. So who will be the new evil lord that Luke has to deal with?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkw View Post
In episode 6, the evil emperor was dead, Vader was dead. So who will be the new evil lord that Luke has to deal with?
I have not read any of the star wars stuff but apparently someone did write books with lucas' blessing that covered the aftermath of 6. It probably won't be same but it'd a starting point. You gotta tear down the empire and start over. No reason to think it would have to end at 7,8,9. In theory it's just another universe, like Trek.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
It was about.... ummm... I know it had old Spock and new Spock, so something about time travel... I do vaguely remember something about a Romulan, but that could be the previous movie.

I'm a major fan of the Star Trek TV series, but the movies have varied between tolerable and total suckage.
Yup, exactly. When I sit down to watch a movie, I just want to be told a good story and be entertained. Star Wars did that for me. I didn't have to worry about "wait, whose that guy?" or "why did romulus do that?". Most of Abrams' stuff just seems too convoluted for a simple good story. But I also wonder if star wars is waaay beyond that. Dunno. I might be overthinking it!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachiepie View Post
Yup, exactly. When I sit down to watch a movie, I just want to be told a good story and be entertained. Star Wars did that for me. I didn't have to worry about "wait, whose that guy?" or "why did romulus do that?". Most of Abrams' stuff just seems too convoluted for a simple good story. But I also wonder if star wars is waaay beyond that. Dunno. I might be overthinking it!
Depends on how you look at it. The first 3 star wars movies were really straight forward. Episode 1 had pretty great plot machinations mixed to plodding writing, bad dialog, worse acting and a confusion about some of the rules of the star wars universe. Step back and the idea of a phantom menace to assume power in a republic is pretty cool; but how Lucas did it suck. Episodes 2 and 3 were wafer thin on everything.

Given Abrams, I would expect a a pretty good hook, but a simple plot, so-so characters/lines, and then no delivery on the concept or the climax.

Still don't get why with so many very talented directors Disney did not look to people who had not done this level of big picture but who had the ideas? Prior to Batman Begins nobody would have thought Nolan and comics. Bryan Singer's work prior (indies) to X-Men gave no indication he was going to deliver anything like that. Doug Liman did small comedies before launching the Bourne Identity. Damn, look at how Sam Mendes went from making existential cry-baby movies like American Beauty and Revolutionary Road to Skyfall.

My first options for this would have been Rian Johnson, David O' Russell, Duplass Brothers... these guys are primed to take solid characters, great stories to a mainstream audience. But instead we get the guy who fumbled cloverfield, super 8 and mission impossible iii.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
This is fantastic news. Abrams work on Star Trek was simply amazing. Best sci fi film in the last decade.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels