Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Post How to Increase Oil Sump Capacity?

Hi Friends, long time visitor here since my 328iS days! Finally stepped up and became a member

As you know the 2005 330i takes about 7 quarts of oil, I like to replace my current oil pan with a deeper one, in order to increase the total oil sump capacity!

Can anyone help me find this pan please? Also if anyone who has already done this, did you notice a reduction in oil loss?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Not really the answer you're looking for, but not sure why you'd want to increase your oil capacity further? 7 quarts is a LOT for a relatively small (3.0L) motor. That's one of the reasons they can get away with an extended oil change interval. By way of comparison, my 4Runner has a 4.0L V6 that only needs about 5 quarts.

Further, if your car is losing oil, not sure a deeper pan would be the answer. If the loss is pretty drastic, check for oil leaks. If you don't see any leaks and are losing less than about a quart per oil change, chalk it up to the car just burning oil and live with it.

I also don't think a deeper oil pan would fit. My guess is it'd get in the way of your metal support brace/shield, which you really don't want to drive without. Just some food for thought.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
At 7 quarts, your sump is already oversized compared to most cars. An oversized sump will not cause a reduction in oil loss. You may however, wish to check your CCV for proper operation, and check for engine oil leaks. One of them should be the cause of your oil loss. Some 330's just seem to burn oil in spite of having none of the aforementioned problems. My theory is it is because the 330 is a stroker motor. ( a stroked 325) although some may disagree with this. I have owned several strokers, and all burned more oil than before they were stroked.

Last edited by SJBimmer; 01-24-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Don't bother. You can do a lot more damage just by changing that.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Hello Jake! Haven't seen you around in a while, How are you?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM
The one and only

What's up bro!

Been slapping around noobs on fanatics and busy at work. How have you been?

Stay on topic (bob ignore these few posts)
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
What's up bro!

Been slapping around noobs on fanatics and busy at work. How have you been?

Can't complain, Just freezing my a$$ off. LOL Good to see you around here again! and your youtube vids are great. Stay away from the dark side over there, it will mess with your mind! Best wishes for the New Year!!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
We still love you, Jake !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Can't complain, Just freezing my a$$ off. LOL Good to see you around here again! and your youtube vids are great. Stay away from the dark side over there, it will mess with your mind! Best wishes for the New Year!!
Same here! It's insanely cold. I need to make some new vids which I'll do in the spring. Got a nice DSLR camera over a month ago. Same to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
We still love you, Jake !
What's up Bob. We still never had that lunch.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 323 Ci
Hey Jake, I was just up in your neck of the woods for a couple of weeks. Looked around for you but didn't see you around. Did manage to get a meet in with FastBob and CharlesBerry. Sorry to have missed you.

Regarding the oil capacity, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but come on...the oil capacity of our cars is nearly equal to that of a F-350 Turbo diesel. I normally support everyones right to do what they want with their ride, but I respectfully suggest you scrap that idea and look for the leak.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
There is no oil leak, and my only motivation is to address the oil consumption which is about 2-3qt over 12K mile OCI! Appreciate all the feedback, Thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan83 View Post
There is no oil leak, and my only motivation is to address the oil consumption which is about 2-3qt over 12K mile OCI! Appreciate all the feedback, Thanks
Well then fix the cause of the consumption! Not to be rude but just exactly where do you suppose anyone could get a deeper oil pan? Never heard of the existence of such.

Repair your car and move on. Oh and if you're going more than 7500 miles on an oil change you're doing it wrong. No oil lasts 12k miles, you should have been changing it at half that.