Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Michelin Tire Myth

I just replaced my Michelin RFT with the Bridgestone Dueller RFT, I have approx 2000 miles on these tires now, I was a little concerned after reading the Tire rack reviews but after driving these in the snow yesterday I have to give them kudo's. I do remember how my
Michelin's felt when they were brand new so it isn't the " new tire syndrome"

1. Quicker turn in compared to the Michelin's
2. Much smoother ride
3. Much quieter- Michelins were noisy from day one.

I was never happy with the ride of the Michelin's and just chalked it up to my first experience with RFT tires, I can not see why anyone would spend over 300 per on the Michelin RFT.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I had Bridgestone Duellers on my older Pathfinder. Biggest POS tires I ever had. Pulled them off after 2 months. Never again for me.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I had Bridgestone Duellers on my older Pathfinder. Biggest POS tires I ever had. Pulled them off after 2 months. Never again for me.
I had the same car and it came with the same Duellers. They were absolutely sh*t. They leaked, they were impossible to balance and they had zero grip on snow and ice. After that I had three sets of Michelin LTXs on the Pathfinder. Never leaked, lasted +30k miles, perfectly balanced and very good grip on snow and ice. I now have Michelin PSSs on my M3, blows away the Contiis that it was delivered with. Maybe Michelin makes some bad tires but I've never come across any. Our Cayenne came with Contis that feel ok but when they are done it will be Michelins. So for me it's no myth, Michelin rocks.

Last edited by solstice; 01-26-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
I can't speak to RFTs, but the Michelin Super Sports I am running on the F10 are great.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I had the same car and it came with the same Duellers. They were absolutely sh*t. They leaked, they were impossible to balance and they had zero grip on snow and ice. After that I had three sets of Michelin LTXs on the Pathfinder. Never leaked, lasted +30k miles, perfectly balanced and very good grip on snow and ice. I now have Michelin PSSs on my M3, blows away the Conti's that it was delivered with. Maybe Michelin makes some bad tires but I've never come across any. So for me it's no myth, Michelin rocks.
I bought my Pathfinder on Halloween. We had snow early December. I couldn't even make it up a hill in the lightest dusting of snow without engaging 4WD. On the way home, the snow was maybe 2" and I struggled getting home while locked in 4 Hi. I ordered Pilot Alpin Snow tires from Tire Rack on the way home.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Matty K.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
In all the time I had the tire store, I never encountered any tires that matched Michelin for quality, durability and all-around performance. There were some very good non-Michelin tires out there and some that were perhaps better as point solutions (like the early days of 205/55R16 and 245/50R16 staggered setups on the 911 that really did well with the Yokohama A09's... every 10K miles) - but given a choice I will always go for the Michelin. No myths involved, just observation of thousands of tire fitments over the years.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post
In all the time I had the tire store, I never encountered any tires that matched Michelin for quality, durability and all-around performance. There were some very good non-Michelin tires out there and some that were perhaps better as point solutions (like the early days of 205/55R16 and 245/50R16 staggered setups on the 911 that really did well with the Yokohama A09's... every 10K miles) - but given a choice I will always go for the Michelin. No myths involved, just observation of thousands of tire fitments over the years.
Funny. You actually ran a tire store but messageboard heros will still argue against your experience lol. And, it's not like you're even selling anything...

Michelin is far and away the best tire brand.
Some manufacturers make better purpose tires (like Yokohama), but overall nobody comes close to Michelin!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
I just replaced my Michelin RFT with the Bridgestone Dueller RFT, I have approx 2000 miles on these tires now, I was a little concerned after reading the Tire rack reviews but after driving these in the snow yesterday I have to give them kudo's. I do remember how my
Michelin's felt when they were brand new so it isn't the " new tire syndrome"

1. Quicker turn in compared to the Michelin's
2. Much smoother ride
3. Much quieter- Michelins were noisy from day one.

I was never happy with the ride of the Michelin's and just chalked it up to my first experience with RFT tires, I can not see why anyone would spend over 300 per on the Michelin RFT.
What is the Michelin Tire Myth? Is it like the Jersey Devil Myth?

BTW, I wouldn't want to spend over $30 on any RFT, unless it was to remove it.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
I ran Bridgestone Dueller AT's on a couple Jeeps I owned back in the 1990's - and back then they were considered very good and were much better than the Goodyear Wranglers that I think were OEM during that era. This was 15+ years ago and I don't think the Dueller's have progressed much since and are severely outclassed these days.

I had great results on a later owned Tahoe with the Yokohama Geolandar's and in fact just had some put on my mother's Ford Escape. They performed great on the road and in wet conditions and I would buy them again if I had a current SUV/truck.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 01-26-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
I am doing the last kms on my set of Bridgestone blizzaks, very good winter grip tires, noisy RFT's buggers though, for that I do not like them.
Next winters will be alpins non RFT.
The MSS set of summer tires alters the car in a mythical driving machine, for only a thousand euro.
Mine are waiting for the season to change, another six weeks or so and the car will be back in his unicorn state.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I ran Bridgestone Dueller AT's on a couple Jeeps I owned back in the 1990's - and back then they were considered very good and were much better than the Goodyear Wranglers that I think were OEM during that era. This was 15+ years ago and I don't think the Dueller's have progressed much since and are severely outclassed these days.

I had great results on a later owned Tahoe with the Yokohama Geolandar's and in fact just had some put on my mother's Ford Escape. They performed great on the road and in wet conditions and I would buy them again if I had a current SUV/truck.
good looking 550.

do you mind? what window film did you use??
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Matty K.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
What is the Michelin Tire Myth? Is it like the Jersey Devil Myth?

BTW, I wouldn't want to spend over $30 on any RFT, unless it was to remove it.
Here, here! I have never been convinced that the advantages of RFT outweigh the negatives or the cost. If the damage is in the sidewall, that FR feature is worth squat. Even my 911 came with a space-saver spare and an air pump. I'll likely get summer performance tires and a spare when (if) the time comes for replacement, and suck it up on trunk space.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Utto, wrong forum post, sorry guys, meant to to post in E70, must have had a brain freeze while replacing my garage door opener yesterday in my 20 degree garage
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
good looking 550.
do you mind? what window film did you use??
FormulaOne Auto Tint PinnacleŽ series - 35% rear/50% front very subtle but effective and I would get again.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more