Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i
New BMW owner - this stuff normal?

I am in the second month of owning a CPO 2010 328i sedan. 42K miles. This is my first BMW after many years of Honda and Toyota ownership. I realize it's a very different type of car, so I am still learning! I love the car, it looks and drives great - fast, sure handling. All systems on the car report OK -- But there are little things I wonder about -
1. The car has been back to the dealer once and will be going back again because the rubber moulding that runs along the bottom of the rear window - seals between the rear window and trunk lid - is separating from the window, leaving a large gap. Dealer attempted to repair, separation is now worse -- common complaint?
2. When decelerating to a stop, the car sometimes abruptly and very noticeably downshifts hard into a lower gear (2nd??). I also feel when pulling away from a stop, there is hesitation and a hard shift (a late downshift into first gear??) when i push the accelerator. I tried faster starts, slower starts - it seems the car pulls away smoother if i make a fast start - is this normal?? I see posts about hard 1 - 2 and 2 - 1 shifting, but it appears to affect earlier model 7 series... all that said, i was given a brand new 2013 3281 as a service loaner and it seemed to shift in a pattern similar to mine when put in "Sport" mode ... so is mine shifting as it should?? All other shifts are very smooth and appropriate, so i want to think the transmission is mechanically sound, might have a programming issue?? The hesitation off the line has me a little concerned...
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcromar View Post
I am in the second month of owning a CPO 2010 328i sedan. 42K miles. This is my first BMW after many years of Honda and Toyota ownership. I realize it's a very different type of car, so I am still learning! I love the car, it looks and drives great - fast, sure handling. All systems on the car report OK -- But there are little things I wonder about -
1. The car has been back to the dealer once and will be going back again because the rubber moulding that runs along the bottom of the rear window - seals between the rear window and trunk lid - is separating from the window, leaving a large gap. Dealer attempted to repair, separation is now worse -- common complaint?
This is the first time I've read about this particular issue. I'm sure others have experienced it but it doesn't seem common enough to have warranted a mention on this forum.
Quote:
2. When decelerating to a stop, the car sometimes abruptly and very noticeably downshifts hard into a lower gear (2nd??). I also feel when pulling away from a stop, there is hesitation and a hard shift (a late downshift into first gear??) when i push the accelerator. I tried faster starts, slower starts - it seems the car pulls away smoother if i make a fast start - is this normal?? I see posts about hard 1 - 2 and 2 - 1 shifting, but it appears to affect earlier model 7 series... all that said, i was given a brand new 2013 3281 as a service loaner and it seemed to shift in a pattern similar to mine when put in "Sport" mode ... so is mine shifting as it should?? All other shifts are very smooth and appropriate, so i want to think the transmission is mechanically sound, might have a programming issue?? The hesitation off the line has me a little concerned...
This seems unusual to me. I haven't read many complaints of hard transmission shifts with the 3-series. I have read quite a number for the E53 X5 series. Enough to give me the impression there's an issue with the design of the transmission. Given this I would have it checked out. BMW will probably state they couldn't repeat the issue or that it is normal behavior. But from what you've describe I believe it is abnormal.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
1. The car has been back to the dealer once and will be going back again because the rubber moulding that runs along the bottom of the rear window - seals between the rear window and trunk lid - is separating from the window, leaving a large gap. Dealer attempted to repair, separation is now worse -- common complaint?.
I had this happen. They tried at first to just add more adhesive in there and it came out worse in a week or so. The next time they replaced the trim and it has been fine ever since. Mine was pretty new when this happened.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
I believe both issues have been discussed, especially the second extensively. Try a 'Search'.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
OP try a search for the Adaptive Auto Transmission Reset Procedure. Here is a link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261285

2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n View Post
OP try a search for the Adaptive Auto Transmission Reset Procedure. Here is a link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261285
THANK YOU - very helpful. Helpful for the reset procedure, I'll try it when I get home next week, and for the redirect to very useful posts. Helps me to see what to look for when searching! Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n View Post
AMAZING! I did the *very simple* procedure last night and the car drives even better!! The hesitation is GONE, shifts are smooth and as expected, including down shifts! I see in the other threads the benefits may be only temporary, so we'll see!

THANK YOU!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
Quote:
AMAZING! I did the *very simple* procedure last night and the car drives even better!! The hesitation is GONE, shifts are smooth and as expected, including down shifts! I see in the other threads the benefits may be only temporary, so we'll see!

THANK YOU!!!
Hope it works out for you in the long run. Keep us posted.

2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.