Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: subaru outback
Do I need BMW Assist/Bluetooth/USB?

I am getting ready to buy a '13 328i. Kinda bare bones - no tech package or Nav.

Do I need BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB? What's it give me that I don't get automatically?

I don't need cover art or toys, but being able to play songs from an ipod would be nice.

What phone/phone book access do I gain with the package that doesn't come with the car?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdover View Post
I am getting ready to buy a '13 328i. Kinda bare bones - no tech package or Nav.

Do I need BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB? What's it give me that I don't get automatically?

I don't need cover art or toys, but being able to play songs from an ipod would be nice.

What phone/phone book access do I gain with the package that doesn't come with the car?

Thanks!
Enhanced Bluetooth/USB:
- dual channel Bluetooth: two phones paired at the same time, both phones can receive but only one (primary) can make calls via iDrive
- Bluetooth Audio
- Album Art via USB
- use of white Apple USB cable (only apllicable to iPods/iPhones obviously)
Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
i think you can still use an ios device with cable on a non bmw assist car. just the interface i think is different, and you dont get cover art and such.

in my opinion the only real thing you get is a2dp streaming and the actual on star like service that you have to pay for. if you have bmw apps and nav you get the google maps send to nav feature.

i'd try my ipod at a car at a dealer that doesnt have it and see if im happy with it. like i would have liked a2dp , but didnt get bmw assist since it didnt seem worth it for just that (i dont have an ios device though, so it had even less appeal).
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
BMW Assist could literally save your life - http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...afetyPlan.aspx

BMW Crash-Severity Algorithm Tells Emergency Room Where it Hurts

"BMW has raised automatic crash notification to a new level. The on-board BMW Assist telematics system already calls 911 after a crash, just as many other brands do. But BMWs can also report to the 911 call center the likely severity of occupant injuries, and now BMW says it can transmit the injury information to a nearby hospital trauma center. BMW's enhanced automatic collision notification (enhanced ACN or EACN) uses a sophisticated set of algorithms to instantly read the car's crash sensor data and make an informed estimate of how to respond to the accident – police car? ambulance? helicopter? – and what injuries to look for when the victims get to the hospital or trauma center. That quick response has the potential to save thousands of lives.

You're in luck if you have your car crash in Miami, in a BMW. It's where BMW and the University of Miami's William Lehman Injury Research Center have a cooperative project to wring out enhanced ACN. BMW has worked with the Lehman Center since 2001 and now they're midway through a three-year project that began in October 2009 to gather data on crashes and the value of quick, appropriate response and treatment during the golden hour, or the first hour after the crash.

If you can get the victim stabilized and to a trauma center within an hour of a bad crash, the odds of survival and recovery are highest. The most recent announcement, this week at the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Conference in National Harbor, Md., extends BMW's ability to transmit extensive crash information not just to the 911 system but also directly to hospital trauma centers, starting with Miami's Ryder Trauma Center.

With the current automatic crash notification that's on most telematics-equipped cars (meaning they have integrated on-board cellphones for data as well as voice, such as GM's OnStar), here's what happens in a crash: The car senses the severity of impact, the angle of impact, multiple impacts (crash and rollover), which airbags deployed, and whether the occupants are belted, says Peter Baur, manager of product analysis at BMW of North America. But there's no interpretation of the data beyond: airbags-went-bang-send-help-to-this-geographic-coordinate. Police would respond (often just a patrol car), check out the crash, then call for an ambulance or occasionally a medical helicopter, then, says Baur, "EMS would drop off the trauma patient, but not necessarily [describe] what the accident looked like." Meanwhile, in the most severe cases, the clock is running down on that golden hour.

With enhanced ACN, Baur says, "We collect the sensor data, massage it, evaluate it," and then draw conclusions as to the likely severity of the accident, the odds of severe injury, even the chances of serious hidden injuries. That enhanced ACN information is what BMW and sibling Rolls-Royce transmit via the BMW call center to the nation's 6,100 public safety answering points (PSAPs, or 911 call centers) and now to Miami's Ryder Trauma Center for a Miami-area accident. Other automakers also have just as many sensors on their cars, incidentally - but they don't yet analyze and make recommendations based on the crash data."

side note - BMW has offered to share this technology for free with any other manufacturer that wants to use it, but no other manufacturer has seen fit to take them up on the offer.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-25-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Glad, that I got mine....
on a lighter note - Not an Apple user, yet.. im a gizmo lover!

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdover View Post

Thanks!
First off, welcome aboard.

You want to get this feature, especially if you're buying the car and plan to keep it more than 3 years. The only way you'll ever get any of the advanced functionality that future smart phones will have you need to get this, perhaps BMW Apps too.

Otherwise, you'll be like all those 2010 BMW E90 owners who said "Bluetooth? I don't need no stinkin' Bluetooth, I can just make calls by hand, no worries."

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW!
I like the idea of BMW assist but didn't end up with those options.

I have enhanced bluetooth in our other car and found I didn't stream audio much at all.
If you opt out of this like I did, pick up a cheep small Flash drive and lode your songs on it. This will take up no space in your arm rest compartment and you can just leave it there until you want new music.

This one will set you back a whopping 12 bucks.

The file browser works great through idrive and you don't have to mess with wires / charging / streaming.
Bluetooth works fantastic so no worries there either.

Chiba

Last edited by chiba; 01-25-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
I had BMW Assist on my "d" and have its Mercedes equivalent on my Bluetec.Having worked for years in a large hospital's ER I know that seconds *can* mean the difference between life and death.Automatic Accident Notification alone is worth the price of admission.All the other features are just icing on the cake.

Fuelly
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
It's 2013. Of course you want Bluetooth.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM

People with Kia Souls have Bluetooth, rear view cameras, and Nav systems. Of course, they are the ugliest cars on the planet too, but my point is that if you're spending $40k on a car and not getting that kind of stuff, I just question if you're buying the right car in the first place.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
My car came loaded with Bluetooth, assist w/ enhanced BT & USB, BMW apps, etc. (I bought off the lot, the extra cost of things of features I did not want was trivial.)

In close to a year I have not used any of these and doubt I ever will. I am delighted not to talk on the phone while driving, cannot abide the sound of MP3s, will never own an iThingee, etc.

Include them on a bespoke car only if you will use them. Do not hesitate to leave them off if they are of no interest.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I am delighted not to talk on the phone while driving.
Wow, is there such a thing? You must not have 2 teenagers and a wife.

But seriously dude, I can't get in a car for 5 minutes without someone calling me.

Plus, when you're driving 2 teenagers all over the place, it's really useful to have access to them at the push of a button.

Then there are all the business related calls I have to deal with. I'm an SVP for a large IT shop, and always on the phone...

Bluetooth is an absolute must have for me, but I suppose it depends on your lifestyle...
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
suppose it depends on your lifestyle...
Indeed.

I feel no compulsion to be in constant immediate contact with others. There is little that cannot wait for thirty minutes or <*gasp*> an hour.

I also learned long ago the mere fact a client or underling emails at 11:30 PM on a Saturday does not mean I am compelled to immediately read it and respond.

It is a matter of controlling and setting others' expectations.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
Get want you want OP! The answer is in the question.

2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.

Last edited by DrT; 01-27-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW!
Quote:
Bluetooth comes with the car standard. The OP was asking about enhanced bluetooth.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk View Post
indeed.

I feel no compulsion to be in constant immediate contact with others. There is little that cannot wait for thirty minutes or <*gasp*> an hour.

I also learned long ago the mere fact a client or underling emails at 11:30 pm on a saturday does not mean i am compelled to immediately read it and respond.

It is a matter of controlling and setting others' expectations.
+1!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013

Last edited by Crzy'boutBimmer; 01-27-2013 at 07:34 AM.