Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Honda CRV
2012 X3 - front end damage

Through 100% fault of my own, no excuses, I rear ended a Toyota Tacoma yesterday with my 2012 X3. I'm sick about it. I was in stop and go traffic and looked across the highway for a second, and by that time the truck had slammed on his brakes. I slammed on mine, but it was too late. I was probably going about 20-25 when I hit him. Luckily, I and the two passengers in the truck are fine, save for a very severe bruise on my hand from the air bag.

The damage appears to be confined to the front end...grill, bumper, headlights, and hood are all crumpled (although the bumper and grill are much worse than the hood). The fenders appear to be in good condition, other than the fact that they were pushed back very slightly (obvious at the seams between the fenders and doors). All driver's side airbags (3) deployed, and the side curtains on the passenger deployed (luckily the front side passenger airbag is intact). The collision guard, or whatever it is called, seems to have done it's job, as there did not appear to be any engine damage. It will likely need a new air conditioner compresser, though.

I don't have pictures, but I spent some time with the manager of the collision repair going over what the immediate issues appeared to be (I realize there will be a more complete inspection when the insurance assessor arrives). He said on a normal car it would be $6k in damage, but on a BMW, double the cost. He assured me that the car was not totaled and could be repaired.

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this type of damage. I searched the forums and saw quite a few posts of damage that did not to appear to be as severe as mine but the car was totaled. Repair costs reported here for similar/seemingly less damage also appear to be more expensive. I was planning to keep this car for a VERY long time, and I am really mad at myself for having this significant of an accident this early on.

Any advice on what to expect? My dad has already told me to get it fixed and then trade it in, but I just accepted a new job and will be moving and buying a house in the next 6 months, so I don't think that is a good option right now. I know the car will never be the same, but I am worried at this point of the possibility of it being totaled. I really don't want to have to buy a new car right now, because of the move and because I will be commuting 70 miles one way until we find a new house. I'd rather drive the repaired car for a while, put all those miles on it, and then maybe trade it in next year.
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
This was 10k of damage to my daughters 2005 330xi, and none of the airbags deployed.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...404&highlight=

My insurance company totals the car at 60% of value, you should be oh since it is a 2012....... Good luck.

PS. BMW is pushing great year end deals and holiday cash :-)

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 AM

Thanks! Just talked to the insurance company, and since the collision center has preferred status, they don't send out an adjuster. They accept the collision center's estimate as-is. So, if they don't think it is totaled, then I doubt that it will be. I'm very curious to see what the outcome is.

Glad your daughter is ok.

Last edited by kat1; 12-08-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Kat, check out TKO88 post here about "dropping the engine out of an X3" he is repairing an X3 with damage similar to yours. He has lots of photos so you will have an idea of all that is involved. I side with your father in this (as a father I kind of stick up for his advice) about getting it fixed and then trading it in. Yes you will take a hit for the repair but if it hasn't been "totalled" (salvage title) then it shouldn't be that bad. Next car get one that tells you you are getting too close and then starts braking! The new Mercedes do that as do the Volvos (the XC60 is nice) and some others. Great thing to have and I am sure it will show up on all the cars soon. I am glad no one was hurt and the other driver did not suffer any whiplash from the rear end crash! Keep us informed as to what you decide to do -- these are bummers but it will all work out at the end for you.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 AM

Wow...those are some amazing and intimidating pictures! It seems like my car was a bit more intact than the one in that thread, but that could be wishful thinking on my part. I had a lower-end 28i that cost about $45k new. A $30k+ repair would easily exceed 75% of my car's value. I hate to think about what this is going to do to my insurance premiums...they are already high here in TX, and they went up when I traded my CRV for the X3. This is the first at-fault claim I've ever had (had one over 10 years ago that was one of those act-of-God type claims), and I thankfully did not receive a ticket. I don't know if that matters or not.

I spoke with the repair center this morning, and they have been approved to start the work and will be ordering parts on Monday. They estimated I might have it back by the end of the month, but obviously, that depends on what else they find when they start taking it apart.

The driver of the truck I hit didn't complain of whiplash, but he did say he hit his head (presumably on the headrest, as I did when a kid rear ended my CRV last year) and complained about having a headache. His friend who was riding in the truck said they both were fine and the friend/driver was just already having a bad/stressful day dealing with work stuff.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Not a bad idea get it fixed and drive it while making that long commute. That way any little things that might not have been fixed right will show up and you can get them sorted out. It may well be that you will be happy with the car and if it was repaired right it will serve you well for a long term. You will be able to judge that of course. Good luck and be safe -- I hope your car insurance included a rental while yours is being repaired -- these things have a way of taking longer than originally estimated.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks. I'm eating the cost of a rental...I didn't add that on to my policy because I sort of figured if I was stupid enough to cause an accident, then I deserved to have to pay the rental fee. Sort of like a punishment. I'm thinking now that wasn't such a good decision. But, I have a reasonably good deal on the rental, and my collision deductible is only $500.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Kind of a rule of thumb -- have a rental endorsement to your policy because if you are ever in an accident that is not "someone else's fault" you will not get a rental unless it is included. The rental endorsement is cheap "insurance" to have IMHO.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM

The estimate was posted to my insurance account today...just over $16k in damage. Almost $12k is parts alone. I asked the tow-truck driver how much he thought the repair would be (just out of curiosity) and he said $8k. Later, the shop manager commented that everything on a BMW is double the cost, so $16k doesn't surprise me. I'm just glad my deductible is only $500.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 AM

Let us know what the final result was and how you like the car once you get it back. Check out TKO's on going post too to get an idea of what is involved in that front end repair. Good luck and I am no one was hurt~!

Last edited by UncleJ; 12-18-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
I actually wanted my car declared to be totalled so I could have a clean slate and no bad Carfax history to shoulder. After I was rear ended, I had $26,000 worth of damage to my three week old 2013 (no air bags deployed). Trade in value after repairs was a whopping $31,000. I negotiated with the ins co and got a check for the full amount I paid (thanks to the value lock rider - otherwise i would have received about $5,000 less).

Suggest after you get your estimate that you find out what the trade in value would be, post repair. That information may help you make up your mind what you want to do.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 98 LS-VTec Honda Civic
My shop is currently rebuilding a nearly totaled X3... I see you've checked out the page. It's amazing how safe these cars are! Glad you're ok! If i was you (Agree with UncleJ) Trade it in after its fixed... I hope thats what the people with the blue X3 at my shop do!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM

So, today marks 7 full weeks since the accident. I've been calling once a week for the past 3 weeks (I knew it would not be ready before then) and my car is still NOT ready. To top it off, the manager who was handling my case no longer works for the repair center, so who knows how much time was lost due to poor/no communication. The story I got today is that everything is repaired, but there are a bunch of warning lights on. It was taken to the mechanic yesterday to reset the computer, but the mechanic realized the battery will not hold a charge. So they have to order a replacement cable, which won't arrive until Monday, and then they can proceed with resetting the computer.

I am not a whiner and I realize I would not be having these problems at all had I not had the wreck in the first place, but this is really frustrating. I've been told multiple reasons for the delays...parts not in stock at dealerships (because the car is so "new" according to the repair center), parts having to be delivered from Germany, BMW sending the wrong parts, etc. I asked today whether or not they should have noticed that the battery wasn't holding a charge sooner than now, but didn't get a good answer. At this point, I'm talking to a manager from another location of the collision center (there are 3 in my area), who is just filling in, and I just don't think he knows the history. To rub salt into the wound, I am having to pay out of pocket for my rental (and this was not noted in my file).

The new manager admits this has taken way too long. If/when I get the car back, should I even try to ask for any concessions? I'm going to owe a $500 deductible plus a rental car bill that is now over $1000. The good news is, the manager said the car looks and drives great (he says he drove it to the mechanic yesterday to have the computer reset, but I'm not sure how, if the battery wasn't holding a charge). But, based on my conversation with the manager today, it seems to me like they have made mistakes on their end that have at least contributed to the delays. Is 8 weeks repair time, along with all of these parts delays par for the course with one of these cars? I'm not going to get angry with the repair center, since that wont help things, but should I be asking for some sort of discount on the bill? Any input is welcome.

And, yes, I will be changing my insurance policy to include a rental car.

Last edited by kat1; 01-25-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I would ask them to pick up the bill on at least a few weeks of the rental vehicle. All they can do is say no. Never hurts to ask
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I think you would be better off if the car was total. Personally, I would have taken the car to a certified BMW repair shop or dealer, beside the body work, there is bound to be a lot of mechanical and electrical issue in an accident of this magnitude. The worst part is that some of these problem might be intermittent and you will be chasing it around in the future. Of course, as a result of the accident, your trade in value will be deminished by thousands of dollars. I would try to trade it as soon as it is out of the shop before the accident gets on the car fax report.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM

There is no way the car was going to be totaled. The damage was less than 50 percent of the value of the car. The airbags (other than the driver's side) deployed because I had the back seats folded down and was carrying a bunch of computer equipment in the back. The accident really wasn't that bad, as no one was injured and there was no damage to the engine, etc. The majority of the repairs were cosmetic (replacing the front bumper, headlights, grill, and hood) and putting the airbags back.

I am concerned that the car will "never be the same," but that is a worry for another day, since I don't even have the car back, yet. I really just want to know if these types of delays and an 8 week repair time are common.

BTW, I tried calling two BMW dealerships to get the name of an "authorized" repair shop. I called the dealership I purchased the car from and a dealership near where I had the accident. One would not answer the phone, and the other never called me back after I left a message. I waited as long as I could but finally had to make a decision on my own. The repair shop I selected is a "preferred" shop with my insurance company (State Farm), and my family has always been satisfied with shops with that affiliation in the past. If the body shop is to be believed, the car is currently at a certified mechanic to have the computer reset and error messages cleared.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 AM

Kat, this has been a siege! I hope that the situation gets resolved to your satisfaction sooner rather than later! Hindsight is of course 20-20, but in the case of seeking l information like preferred repair shops, the southwest regional board here on the 'fest -- Bimmerfest-BMW Forums might be a go to spot to seek information. Just a thought, and if you are not satisfied with the repair it might not hurt to post a question there. Good luck!

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-26-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat1 View Post
There is no way the car was going to be totaled. The damage was less than 50 percent of the value of the car. The airbags (other than the driver's side) deployed because I had the back seats folded down and was carrying a bunch of computer equipment in the back. The accident really wasn't that bad, as no one was injured and there was no damage to the engine, etc. The majority of the repairs were cosmetic (replacing the front bumper, headlights, grill, and hood) and putting the airbags back.

I am concerned that the car will "never be the same," but that is a worry for another day, since I don't even have the car back, yet. I really just want to know if these types of delays and an 8 week repair time are common.

BTW, I tried calling two BMW dealerships to get the name of an "authorized" repair shop. I called the dealership I purchased the car from and a dealership near where I had the accident. One would not answer the phone, and the other never called me back after I left a message. I waited as long as I could but finally had to make a decision on my own. The repair shop I selected is a "preferred" shop with my insurance company (State Farm), and my family has always been satisfied with shops with that affiliation in the past. If the body shop is to be believed, the car is currently at a certified mechanic to have the computer reset and error messages cleared.
Its really hard to tell what damage your car have suffered without a picture. I am just going by your description and the number of air bags deployed. Your car is worth too much to be totaled, but thats not always a good thing for you. Damage from an accident may look cosmetic at first, but with the amount of sensors and electronics in your BMW, there are bound to be some mechanical or electrical issues associated with it. Lets just hope they can find them all and fix it before they return it to you.
A preferred shop with the insurance company simply means that the body shop will work at the set rate of the insurance company, which is usually lower than the dealer's. Also, they might also use after market parts or refurbished parts, you might want to ask them about that.
As far as delays repairing a car that have that much damage, its pretty common. They usually find more and more things broken as they start the job. Good Luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 AM

Just when I think it can't get any worse...since last Thurs (1/31) the car has been at the local BMW dealership. Whatever shop had it before then could not get all of the error messages to clear, so the manager of the body shop took it to the dealership. And let me tell you, the dealership is none too happy to have my car. Evidently, they don't regularly do business with this shop, and now they are caught in the middle of my situation (I took it upon myself to call the dealership last week and tell them the story). One of the service managers basically told me no one was getting my car back until he gets paid. I'm not sure why he is so paranoid about being paid, but it doesn't really seem like a fair deal that they can keep my $40k+ vehicle over $2200 in parts and labor. To top it off, we are moving, and this dealership is only a few miles from our new home. I'm expecting to be blacklisted after this fiasco, so I'll probably have to drive 40 miles out of my way to get my car serviced once I (if ever) get it back and we move.

I got my insurance company involved yesterday. They told me that, even if I'd had rental coverage, it would have only lasted for 30 days (today is day 61). Exceeding the 30 day limit may have raised a red flag with the insurance, if I'd had the policy, but with the holidays and all, I expected the repair to take more than 30 days (certainly not 60+, though). The claims adjuster looked at my case and said it is very weird. She insists she could not see the estimate, even though I received an electronic copy of the estimate back in Dec. The good news is (or maybe it's bad?), the insurance company has not paid one penny to the collision center.

I did get the collision center to agree to waive my $500 deductible, but the $23/day rental car fee just keeps adding up.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 AM

Sounds like its time for a "sit down" with the major players here -- the insurance adjuster, the body shop mgr, the BMW service mgr and yourself to discuss why this is going on and what can resolve the problem. Sixty plus days is really too long -- unless there was far more damage than originally thought -- which brings up yet another problem -- for the car to be fixed and returned. On the rental, it has been my experience that for a long term (over a week or 10 days -- and you have exceeded that) rental the company will give you a reduced price -- you might want to check that. Just from what you have provided it seems like people are all going off in different directions with your car and the fact that the adjuster "can't get" the estimate makes me shake my head.. Good luck with this and please keep us informed as to your progress (or lack thereof).
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: Jgc
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Kat, check out TKO88 post here about "dropping the engine out of an X3" he is repairing an X3 with damage similar to yours. He has lots of photos so you will have an idea of all that is involved. I side with your father in this (as a father I kind of stick up for his advice) about getting it fixed and then trading it in. Yes you will take a hit for the repair but if it hasn't been "totalled" (salvage title) then it shouldn't be that bad. Next car get one that tells you you are getting too close and then starts braking! The new Mercedes do that as do the Volvos (the XC60 is nice) and some others. Great thing to have and I am sure it will show up on all the cars soon. I am glad no one was hurt and the other driver did not suffer any whiplash from the rear end crash! Keep us informed as to what you decide to do -- these are bummers but it will all work out at the end for you.
Unfortunately not available on X3. It's available on a x5, 3 series and others.

Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function:

Relaxed driving even in heavy traffic: Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function ensures that your BMW remains a predefined distance away from the car ahead, reducing the speed to zero if necessary. When the traffic begins to move again, the system accelerates your BMW - up to your preferred cruising speed if possible.

Active Cruise Control (ACC) with Stop & Go function is primarily intended to serve as a driver assistant on freeways and highways. Three radar sensors with a range of up to 150 metres permanently monitor the road ahead. As you approach a slower vehicle in your lane, the system directs the engine control unit to reduce power output and if necessary apply the brakes to ensure you remain a predefined distance away. If the vehicle ahead stops, ACC with Stop & Go will bring your BMW to a complete standstill too.

When the vehicle ahead moves off again or changes lanes, ACC with Stop & Go increases engine power; if possible, your BMW accelerates to your preferred cruising speed. If the total standstill is longer than three seconds, ACC with Stop & Go requires you to briefly apply the accelerator or press the ACC button to bring your BMW into motion again. If the standstill is briefer than three seconds, acceleration is automatic. Up to four different cruising speeds can be predefined and activated by the press of a button. Minimum cruising speed is 30 km/h; maximum is 180 km/h.

The distance to the vehicle ahead is measured in seconds rather than metres. This ensures that you have adequate reaction time in relation to the speed you are travelling at. ACC with Stop & Go makes driving both more relaxing and safer.
It adjusts your speed if needed on bends, using data from DSC and the navigation system to calculate a safe speed. On multi-lane roads, the system is able to differentiate between vehicles in your lane and in neighbouring lanes. ACC with Stop & Go function can be deactivated at any time by applying the accelerator or brake, giving you complete control over your speed.
It is important to remember that Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function is not an autopilot. If the vehicle ahead brakes heavily and suddenly, or if the system recognises a critical situation, it alerts the driver with acoustic and optical warnings. Nonetheless, ACC with Stop & Go makes driving in heavy traffic or moving through congestion significantly less tiring.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Sounds like a cool option which I might have gotten (although it would take some getting used to it for me to trust it in traffic). I believe MB calls it "Distronic" (...and a rather expensive option, if I recall).
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM

kat1, sounds like you need to have the body shop paid the dealer first and adjust their estimate for the insurance company's approval. 60+ days without a car for a minor accident is unheard of. I would file a complaint with your inaurance company and with their so called prefered body shop.

Last edited by The X Men; 02-06-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM

I'm back in my Bimmer!!! Got it back today and it looks and drives great! Hood placement is perfect, paint looks great, everything inside in the dash area works...cruise control (going 9 weeks/6000 miles without was miserable), windshield wipers (sorry to the guy on the motorcycle behind me who got sprayed when I tried them out), radio, blinkers, Bluetooth, sunroof, seat heaters, etc. Drove it 70 miles home and no warning lights or errors came up. Engine temperature was exactly where it was before the accident. The speed limit was recently increased to 75 on the last 15 or so miles of my commute, and it was such a joy to drive it!

Of course, as I was driving the rental to work for the last time today, the windshield got hit by a rock and was dinged :/. Just paid the $50 for a repair rather than risk the rental company trying to bill be for a new windshield.

I'm just so happy to have the car back and (as far as I can tell) in good as new condition!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM

All's well that ends well! Glad you got your ride back! Enjoy.