Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Millennium68 Millennium68 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 sport M-package
Loading music to hard-drive from USB Flash

Hello, would like to see if only I have this issue or not and if anyone offer any suggestions. I am trying to load music to hard-drive using USB Flash drive. 1st of all it is taking too long - 4GB loading more than 30 minutes. Second, if you turn off you car before the load finished, then when you try to load it again - it does not see that some music already present and load it again as a duplicate.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Sea Doom Sea Doom is offline
OCD Afflicted
Location: Coastal So. SoCal
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
Mein Auto: '10 X5d & '08 EX35
Yep, USB>HDD is a GLACIAL process. With a '10 E70 we haven't encountered the duplicate write problem with start/stop, as you describe. We DID encounter duplication [and other] problems when attempting to re-load from the USB stick after making edits to the USB stick. Because of this flaw in the iDrive HDD logic we abandoned HDD playback, and switched to center console USB stick playback - much more efficient for owners who routinely edit their onboard audio collection.

Last edited by Sea Doom; 08-19-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM
the J-Man the J-Man is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CO
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,055
Mein Auto: BMW
I did this today in my 2011 335. I have all my music in itunes, so I just copy and pasted all of my itunes music folders onto a blank USB drive. I copied about 5 gb worth of music. I then put the USB drive in the car and did an import. It took about 15 minutes to copy it all to the hard drive, and everything is categorized and named perfectly thanks to the Itunes organization.

In the future if I want to add new music, I will just copy any new music to a BLANK USB drive and do the import. Do not keep trying to import new music on a USB drive that has your entire collection on it. The first update into idrive will take the longest. Everything after that will be importing your new music only.

I really like the music collection. Compared to using my iphone, it gives much better sound quality, and compared to using the usb stick directly in the center console, it gives you voice search.

Set your voice command to "short" rather than "default" under the language/units in idrive.

Then say "Music Search" they say "new search." Then you can say:

Artist Elvis or
Album XXXX
or Title XXXX

(I am not sure if pre 2011 models allow you to say "artist" and then the actual artist name in one step. It might be 2 steps for 2010 models and earlier).

I find that the system pulls up what I want via voice 9 out of 10 times even for really funky track or artist names. It's pretty smart for abbreviations too. I can say "Doctor Dre" for "Dr Dre." and the lady comes back and says "Doctor Dre" and the music plays, or I can say "Drive Dre" for "Dr Dre" and the lady comes back and says "Drive Dre" and the music plays. It works either way.

I think the music collection is worth figuring out to get the voice search functionality, especially if you have a lot of music.
__________________
ED # 1: 5/27/2010 - 2011 E92 M-Sport

Last edited by the J-Man; 08-19-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 AM
David1's Avatar
David1 David1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Great Lakes
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,026
Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Wait till you try and make a back up of the music files, Plan on at least an hour and you have to have the car running or it will stop after about 10 to 15 minutes if the car is not running.
__________________
2009 335i Coupe - LBM - Black Dakota/Glacier aluminum - 6spd | Nav | M-Sport | Premium | Logic7 | Heated Seats | CA |BMW Performance Suspension/M3 control arms|
2009 X5 3.0 - AW- Black Dakota/Bamboo | Premium |Tech | Cold Weather | Ipod | Rear Climate |
07 X3 - Sold
07 335 coupe - sold
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Millennium68 Millennium68 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 sport M-package
Quote:
Originally Posted by the J-Man View Post
I did this today in my 2011 335. I have all my music in itunes, so I just copy and pasted all of my itunes music folders onto a blank USB drive. I copied about 5 gb worth of music. I then put the USB drive in the car and did an import. It took about 15 minutes to copy it all to the hard drive, and everything is categorized and named perfectly thanks to the Itunes organization.

In the future if I want to add new music, I will just copy any new music to a BLANK USB drive and do the import. Do not keep trying to import new music on a USB drive that has your entire collection on it. The first update into idrive will take the longest. Everything after that will be importing your new music only.

I really like the music collection. Compared to using my iphone, it gives much better sound quality, and compared to using the usb stick directly in the center console, it gives you voice search.

Set your voice command to "short" rather than "default" under the language/units in idrive.

Then say "Music Search" they say "new search." Then you can say:

Artist Elvis or
Album XXXX
or Title XXXX

(I am not sure if pre 2011 models allow you to say "artist" and then the actual artist name in one step. It might be 2 steps for 2010 models and earlier).

I find that the system pulls up what I want via voice 9 out of 10 times even for really funky track or artist names. It's pretty smart for abbreviations too. I can say "Doctor Dre" for "Dr Dre." and the lady comes back and says "Doctor Dre" and the music plays, or I can say "Drive Dre" for "Dr Dre" and the lady comes back and says "Drive Dre" and the music plays. It works either way.

I think the music collection is worth figuring out to get the voice search functionality, especially if you have a lot of music.

Strange, for some reason in my 2011 X35I it takes much longer than 15 min to load 5GB.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM
samsonitep samsonitep is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 487
Mein Auto: BMW
how many songs are you guys putting on and can you load while you drive??

Say I have sirius playing while I wait will it still load while I am cruising around?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 PM
the J-Man the J-Man is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CO
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,055
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
how many songs are you guys putting on and can you load while you drive??

Say I have sirius playing while I wait will it still load while I am cruising around?
Yes, I can use other audio sources while the music collection is loading. I put about 800 songs on my car the other day in about 15 minutes.
__________________
ED # 1: 5/27/2010 - 2011 E92 M-Sport
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Sea Doom Sea Doom is offline
OCD Afflicted
Location: Coastal So. SoCal
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
Mein Auto: '10 X5d & '08 EX35
J-Man correctly points out several advantages of HDD music storage, not the least of which is voice control. However, at least for the '10 HDD-s, you are limited to ~12GB music storage. To repeat, the overwhelming advantage of center console USB stick storage and playback is the ease/speed of editing your collection (additions, deletions, IDTag corrections, etc).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM
nastaad nastaad is offline
Registered User
Location: Qatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 630i
uploading music

Hi all,

Sorry this is an old thread but, if I just used a blank USB added my entire collection of say 7gb onto the idrive system, would it stil be able to organize music internally to be able to do voice search etc.

Im not using itunes, just MP3 on flashdrive (no folders etc.).

Any new music I add to a clean USB and update periodically..

I have the 2010 630i

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 PM
yahtzee's Avatar
yahtzee yahtzee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
I use BT audio with my iPhone 5 and just plug it into my power cord from the center console. No issues whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 PM
buckeyewalt buckeyewalt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 169
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Read my mind, I was ready to post an issue with my USB, anyway, I can't get it to load at all. I loaded my cd's with no problem, I wonder why it won't load my USB songs??
I just put 5 songs on the stick as a "test", and it displayed the artist and song title and even played the song, but when I moved it over to download the songs, it gave me a command to make sure the cable was in the USB slot, which it was,,I clicked OK and it took me back to the playlist without downloading anything. I have got to be doing something wrong but can't figure out what it is!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM
nastaad nastaad is offline
Registered User
Location: Qatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 630i
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Read my mind, I was ready to post an issue with my USB, anyway, I can't get it to load at all. I loaded my cd's with no problem, I wonder why it won't load my USB songs??
I just put 5 songs on the stick as a "test", and it displayed the artist and song title and even played the song, but when I moved it over to download the songs, it gave me a command to make sure the cable was in the USB slot, which it was,,I clicked OK and it took me back to the playlist without downloading anything. I have got to be doing something wrong but can't figure out what it is!
well im getting the car soon, so will try.
Did you read this post -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417311

anyway please let me know if you have any updates
thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM
buckeyewalt buckeyewalt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 169
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastaad View Post
well im getting the car soon, so will try.
Did you read this post -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417311

anyway please let me know if you have any updates
thanks
I did not read that post..and after reading it,I think I have found my pproblem. The USB in the glove box does not work!!! The one in the center console does work and will play my songs,BUT it won't import them...I thought that it would but I guess I was wrong,,never given the glove box a thought. So I guess its back to the dealer to get it fixed!
Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM
nastaad nastaad is offline
Registered User
Location: Qatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 630i
sure, let me know if you figure out how to upload and to use voice search?
thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2013, 01:42 PM
buckeyewalt buckeyewalt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 169
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastaad View Post
sure, let me know if you figure out how to upload and to use voice search?
thanks!
Truck going to the dealership in about 2 weeks,,,will post after that!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 AM
nastaad nastaad is offline
Registered User
Location: Qatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 630i
I just got my car, stuck a USB drive (100 songs to start) into glovebox USB slot and it loaded in a minute.
Two questions

1. I put some MP4 format videos on there, but it didn’t recognize. Besides dvd, can you play video in any particular format with usb? I suspect no, judging from the manual.

2. How do I use the voice command to search for music or to just play a particular song?

This is a bmw 630i 2010 model, it has the new gear (same as the 2011 etc.) and new idrive.

On a separate note, the steering is so light when you start off, and is heavier at higher speeds. Is this the electric assist? Its quite good.
Not sure if the “active steering” is in this model (rear wheel turn dependent on speed)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 AM
erkbiz erkbiz is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 96
Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Problems with playback after loading from USB

Hello,

Loaded up my vehicle's hard drive with lots of MP3 files and am having trouble on playback. At times no music plays after selecting a tune, other times the tune starts than stops for a bit and starts again, this happens repeatedly.

I thought perhaps the files were corrupt so I burned a CD loaded it onto the vehicle and everything is fine.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I'm trying a few more things but don't have a lot of confidence in using the USB port.

ERK
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM
buckeyewalt buckeyewalt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 169
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Looks like something is more serious with mine instead of loading issues. Took it to the dealer and worked on it for the better part of a few hours to the point where they say that the USB in the glove box is not working at all. Didn't want to leave it with them so I just took it back. $%$#@*&^%...with all of the electrical issues that I have had, it feels like I have a Fiat at times!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 AM
dingular dingular is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: 2013 x6 50i
For me, the loading issues are not time (transfer time isnt fast, but it's manageable.. i moved 700+ songs over pretty quickly), nor over-writing (it doesn't do this, it just adds the new songs -- I was surprised it did this given its other stupidities!).. it's the fact that some mp3's decide not to play (but show no error, it just skips them) and that if i put my usb drive in the glove box usb jack, it doesn't recognize it / import music right away. I usually have to drive it, turn it off, get back in, then try again... I thought maybe you needed to have it in before you turn the car on, but that is not the case. Just seems to "decide" it's ok to read from it all the sudden.

Personally, I miss my aftermarket stereo's solution from my last truck (08 4Runner) -- an SD card of whatever size I choose that I put into the SD slot in the head unit and it reads right away, problem free. Having a 32 gig SD card to load music onto is super helpful.
__________________
2013 X6 xDrive 50i

Last edited by dingular; 03-26-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Jim E.'s Avatar
Jim E. Jim E. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 480
Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
For those of you who have a usb port in the center storage compartment (option 6FL?), why don't you get an external hard drive and just use that to play your music?

In my X5, I use a 1 TB drive and have all my music in WMA lossless format. Simple and easy and I don't need to clog up my internal HD.

Not saying all drives work in all cars btw.

I recently tested a 2TB drive and it worked in the X5. Also not saying anyone needs anywhere near that capacity if all you have is compressed music.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:27 PM
dingular dingular is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: 2013 x6 50i
maybe thats a great use for my currently unused, dust collecting 250gb hd!
__________________
2013 X6 xDrive 50i
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Teemo Panda's Avatar
Teemo Panda Teemo Panda is offline
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 851
Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Remember BMW data storage is based on 5300rpm HDD, a bit dated in today's standards.
The more media you place into the car's storage the more slow it loads data.

The best way to listen to your media through your car is to simplify your library to songs that you like to listen the most into playlist and if you want some flexibility, load your songs into your iPhone.
Or use Pandora :P

Good Luck!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms