Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
K&N Air Filters

Hi,

I plan to replace my F10 air filter with K&N air filter.... does anyone know where can I locate the air filter on the F10?!

http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/st..._050.jpg?w=530

THX
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Curious...what are you hoping to gain?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by emimix View Post
Hi,

I plan to replace my F10 air filter with K&N air filter.... does anyone know where can I locate the air filter on the F10?!

http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/st..._050.jpg?w=530

THX
The only thing you will gain is more induction noise - if that is what you are after, I understand. Other than that, the switch will be all negative - no additional power and less filtration allowing more dirt into the engine.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
The only thing you will gain is more induction noise - if that is what you are after, I understand. Other than that, the switch will be all negative - no additional power and less filtration allowing more dirt into the engine.
Exactamundo!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Been there....done that! Not worth the effort with respect to any slight gain and as stated previously ...poorer filtration
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
From the hundreds of reviews and the people who use them, the K&N air filter design is superior to a paper element (OEM) because it allows for superior filtration without sacrificing air flow for a longer period of time ....many high performance cars use them

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

My brother uses 2 K&N air filters in his Infiniti FX50S, and he loves them....he says he will never go back to his OEM filters.

So.... anyone knows where can I locate the F10 air filter?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
From the hundreds of reviews and the people who use them, the K&N air filter design is superior to a paper element (OEM) because it allows for superior filtration without sacrificing air flow for a longer period of time ....many high performance cars use them

My brother uses 2 K&N air filters in his Infiniti FX50S, and he loves them....he says he will never go back to his OEM filters.

I do not know if they have filters yet for the f10.

That being said, with the new strict CAFE requirements on mpgs it is hard to imagine there would be a way to just bolt on an airfilter in an existing box to gain hp and mileage. It was certainly true a decade ago, but since then the manufacturers have aggressively wrung those easy to find hps and mpgs out of the cars. That is why todays filters are so much bigger and often have 2 vs 1 filter.

You also run the risk of filter oil clogging the sensors which do void engine malfunctions when they are proven to cause the problem.

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Diver624

Mein Auto: Porsche 911 Turbo
Quote:

Why does you brother like them, has he measured any power/torque difference on a dyno? Do you really think an auto manufacturer would use an air filter that restricts power when they spend enormous amounts of time and money trying to get even small increases in power from these engines. If such a cheap, simple item really increases power I have no doubt the manufacturers would be using them. K&N is a marketing company. Additionally if you use one of the oiled K&N filters your asking for trouble with your MAF (mass air flow sensor).
Porsche 993 Cab.
Porsche 996 Turbo (Ruf 550) gone but not forgotten
Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver624@aol.co View Post
Why does you brother like them, has he measured any power/torque difference on a dyno? Do you really think an auto manufacturer would use an air filter that restricts power when they spend enormous amounts of time and money trying to get even small increases in power from these engines. If such a cheap, simple item really increases power I have no doubt the manufacturers would be using them. K&N is a marketing company. Additionally if you use one of the oiled K&N filters your asking for trouble with your MAF (mass air flow sensor).
TBH BMW cars are all running rich from the factory, this poor ecu set-up is due to cars being fed all sorts of poor fuel quality throughout the world, the ECU remaps enhance premium fuelled car set-ups, and give more BHP and better fuel economy as well as better running.
There is always "some Power" to be gained by this method regardless of Turbos or Naturally aspirated.

Last edited by johnbmw6; 11-04-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I do not know if they have filters yet for the f10.

That being said, with the new strict CAFE requirements on mpgs it is hard to imagine there would be a way to just bolt on an airfilter in an existing box to gain hp and mileage. It was certainly true a decade ago, but since then the manufacturers have aggressively wrung those easy to find hps and mpgs out of the cars. That is why todays filters are so much bigger and often have 2 vs 1 filter.

You also run the risk of filter oil clogging the sensors which do void engine malfunctions when they are proven to cause the problem.

OEM stuff are not optimal so you keep getting back for replacements

it already compared OEM with KN
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/33-2970.pdf

the filter is not about power, but better ventilation and air flow ...it's also more $$ than the OEM, and you dont' need to change it for life
Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:

the filter is not about power, but better ventilation and air flow ...it's also more $$ than the OEM, and you dont' need to change it for life
If you want better power and airflow, you'll get a heck of a lot more from the swapping out the computer, that controls everything. Swapping out paper filters for K&N may give you more power at full throttle, but I doubt it's noticeable with a OEM ECU.
Also the cost of the K&N over stock makes the "save money change it for life" argument, mute, since it would take you 10 years to be on the + side of that monetary equation. Assuming you keep the car that long.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2007 530xiT
Perhaps one who is unable to locate the air filter should not be replacing same? Just a thought. My advice... Stay away from K & N filters, you're just asking for trouble.
2007 530xiT -- Titanium Silver / Black Dakota / Nav / PP / Step / Sirius / HD / CWP / CA /Rear shades / 2 Diono Monterey Booster Seats in Pink :>) / Hüper Optik tint -- Ordered 08/19/06 -- Delivered 10/17/06 -- 59 days order to delivery.

"Money is a strange business. People who haven't got it aim at it strongly. People who have it are full of troubles." -- Ayrton Senna

BMW CCA Member
Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Diver624

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
TBH BMW cars are all running rich from the factory, this poor ecu set-up is due to cars being fed all sorts of poor fuel quality throughout the world, the ECU remaps enhance premium fuelled car set-ups, and give more BHP and better fuel economy as well as better running.
There is always "some Power" to be gained by this method regardless of Turbos or Naturally aspirated.
I was only referring to changing the air filter to a K&N filter which will not produce any gains and might cause problems if you use the oiled version.
An ECU re-map will, especially on a turbocharged car produce HP/Torque gains but will void your warranty.
Porsche 993 Cab.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:

So what you are saying is that faced with tens of millions in fines from CAFE and ever escalating costs to get another 1/2 mile to the gallon (the same reason you would get more hp is the reason you would get more MPG), BMW has cheaped out and put in a sub par filter to save a buck? Seriously quit with the snake oil...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:

It might be one of those things that you must do regardless of anyone's advice. If you are young enough then it may be exactly that. For some of us older guys we've done it too - springs, exhausts, shocks, turbos, K&Ns and much more without much gain with the exception of noise and a harsher ride. You'd be wise taking the advice but you may not want to because you just need to do it - if that's the case, go ahead with that K&N swap, even if the extra power and better running of your engine is not true you will just "know" that it's running better and it will make you happy regardless.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: RS6
Oil from the filter (if over oiled and not properly dried) will damage the mass air flow sensor. Be careful.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Oil from the filter (if over oiled and not properly dried) will damage the mass air flow sensor. Be careful.
IF of course your engine has one, the E92/90 M3 does not. I am not sure if the 550i has or not till mine arrives.
I did use the BMC filter on the M3 and it did give some BHP about 4BHP and increased the induction noise, it did sound nice with the remap. I will not go this route with the 550i M sport though must be getting old.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i sport
Dinan wont void warranty and adds 95hp. 100 ftlb torque its 3000

Sent from my Nexus One using BimmerApp
Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Diver624

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyn550 View Post
Dinan wont void warranty and adds 95hp. 100 ftlb torque its 3000

Sent from my Nexus One using BimmerApp
Are you saying that BMW supports the Dinan modifications. If you can get that in writing then go for it.
Porsche 993 Cab.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Honda Accord
Emimix,
Did you end up buying the K&N air filter? if so, did you notice any gains or better air flow? I believe in K&N as i used to have it in my Accord back in the day. It definitely breathe better.
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | Hamann CF Front Lip | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust System | M5 Rear Diffuser | Painted Calipers, Reflectors & Black Gloss Grill | FormulaOne Pinnacle Series Tint | Born on 1/30/12

Gre8tW8LL

Last edited by Gre8tW8LL; 01-27-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
I tried K&N once a long time ago. I did used oil analysis, too. The ppm silicon (dirt) in the used oil analysis nearly tripled after the K&N - - almost to the labs condemnation point around 20+ ppm IIRC. I never used one again. The K&N does reduce the inertia of the air column in the intake track (removing the filter altogether does, too) which gives you a feeling of a more sensitive throttle response, which in turn is mistaken for more power. But it's all smoke and mirrors, pure illusion.

By the way, BMW does recognize DINAN. Many BMW dealers are also DINAN dealers and DINAN warranties their mods/software. If the dealer updates your factory software/ecu when you have the car in for service (which they do all the time and which will wipe your DINAN), and if they're a DINAN dealer, they will reload whatever DINAN performance stage you have at no charge - - it's part of the DINAN warranty. Don't think other mod houses do this.

Last edited by m6pwr; 01-27-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I was thinking about it, but I know from Mercedes and now apparently BMW, K&N filters don't do much except add more risk and throw the "balance" off, per-se. Seems these motors are engineered to a degree where a K&N won't help at all (maybe hurt?). I wouldn't mind extra induction noise especially from a Turbo, though. At the same time, I love the quietness of this car where you hear some deep engine noise around town (subtle and "pleasant"), but only "truly" hear it when you get on it, nice balance IMO.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
back in my C5 A6 days putting in a K&N was a no-no due to problems with sensors, like MAF.

i can't see sticking one of those in and incredibly expensive machine like at 550. nake oil imo.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
emimix, make sure you get some of that Slick 50 oil treatment and Tornado fuel saver when you put in the K&N filter
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
emimix, make sure you get some of that Slick 50 oil treatment and Tornado fuel saver when you put in the K&N filter
LOL.

I had a K&N air filter in my heavily modified Tegra and it definitely "sounded" faster than OEM. Whether it had a larger impact on the car than the japanese characters I had painted on the door, I'm not sure.

Last edited by AggieKnight; 01-28-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Clarification -> I did have a Tegra that was heavily modified and did put a K&N in it, but did not actually paint characters