Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
bad smell

just a little about my problem(e46 2001 325i) after taking long drives anything over 45 minutes there is a distinct burning smell (although hard to describe). The Valve cover casket and oil seperator were replaced just last year so I am ruling this out. There is no visible smoke coming from engine.....this smell has been noticeable for about 6 months now and I realize I can't ignore it much longer. I am in the dead of winter right now and will have to wait a couple of months b4 doing any work If anyone has any ideas as to what my problem might be I would appreciate any help thxs
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 320i se
Hi. I have heard the most common cause of a burning smell is oil leaking from the rocker cover. I wouldnt rule this out even though you say it was done. I have the same problem. On a long drive after stopping the front of the car really pongs of burning oil and I do have to top up about a half litre every 6 weeks. Im assuming a leak somewhere, and as Ive got no oil stains on the drive where I park I guess its seeping out somewhere onto something hot and burning off. From the info Ive read on here seems its most likely a leak around the top of the engine. Like yourself got bad weather here at moment, 6-8 inches of snow and minus 10 most nights.....its the UK lol so finding the time to get it sorted is tough right now. I would advise investigating this and if your topping up the oil like me then its certainly a leak somewhere. Dont ever assume a new part can be ruled out of any fault finding procedure. Also keep on searching the forums.....this site is invaluable for great advice. Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by SixPotPsyco; 01-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 525i
+1 on valve cover gasket. I had one leak only 8 months after installing it during a vanos rebuild. Bad brand, I guess, although I can't remember which. When the engine is not too hot, feel for oil on the head above exhaust manifold ports 4-6.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:38 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Double check the VCG for sure. It can leak with the slightest gap.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Double check the VCG for sure. It can leak with the slightest gap.
Generally it's oil seeping onto the hot exhaust.

Look there first (passenger side of the engine).
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
thank you all for quick response soon as weather warms up a bit will check out oil problems will keep all updated thanks again