Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive McGee View Post
LOL if anyone's interested I could definitely post some pics next week - a bit swamped on the domestic schedule for a few days!
We have this saying around here: "Pics or it didn't happen."

Kidding

I'm interested. And very impatient! lol

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 01-27-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Bentley Continental
At the risk of thread-jacking I will kindly oblige! I will try and make it at least somewhat on-topic. It's sort of a resurrected thread so hopefully you guys will be OK with it.

AWD making it's usefulness apparent this season. Finding a set of 275/35 r21s was NOT easy let me tell you. These tires are bigger than the ones on my wife's SUV.

The car back in October when I got it!

The REAL reason I bought an overpriced coupe - the children. Think of THE CHILDREN!

Bentley really knows how to do an engine bay.

A few shots of the interior. Not my finest camera work. The car was from dealer inventory - I would've definitely picked a darker color if it was BTO.

Some general thoughts on the Bentley versus the 6e. Keep in mind much of the below is my opinion only.
  • Entertainment technology favors the 6er by a noticeable margin. The Bentley cannot even use a device with the latest iOS version. I was lucky to find an old iPhone laying around with 5.something still on it. On the flipside, the 6er would be occasionally glitchy when listening to music - which the Bentley does not suffer from.
  • Interior favors the Bentley by a small margin, but this is totally subjective. It's more stodgy, but I feel the build quality is a bit higher. Much more customizable too if you BTO. I think the Bentley smells better too!
  • Ride quality favors the Bentley by a wide margin. Much smoother, less jarring. A big deal for me.
  • Performance is fairly similar but favors the Bentley a bit, more noticeable at low-speed driving and acceleration - less hesitation. Similarly for highway driving - but both feel essentially limitless.
  • Customer service at Bentley is a completely different world. The car is picked up and dropped off in my garage, and the extra driver is transported in a Porsche Panamera no less. The last time it came back from the service department, the car had MORE gas than when it left. When sourcing the hard to find winter tires, corporate flew them in from Crewe. My BMW dealer, while very nice, does WAY too much volume to be able to spend much time with me. And of course, BMW NA doesn't even know I exist.

That's it in a nutshell, I'd be happy with either car. And my time in the Bentley really drives home how good the 6er is at $75k cheaper. It will remain on my list when it comes to trading in.

Previous Rides
2012 650i xDrive - Loved it! 2010 535i xDrive - Very competent. Too sensible? 2008 Audi S6 - Still miss the V10.
2003 Maserati Coupe - The end of an era. 2002 Maserati Coupe - Gone and mostly forgotten. 2002 MB CLK 430 - Gone but not forgotten.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
At the risk of thread-jacking I will kindly oblige! I will try and make it at least somewhat on-topic. It's sort of a resurrected thread so hopefully you guys will be OK with it.
If anyone has a problem with thread-jacking, place the blame on me

Quote:
[B]The REAL reason I bought an overpriced coupe - the children. Think of THE CHILDREN!
lol. I like the way you think!

Quote:
Bentley really knows how to do an engine bay.
That's the W12, right?

That engine bay looks bigger than an entire Smart car.

Quote:
Interior favors the Bentley by a small margin, but this is totally subjective. It's more stodgy, but I feel the build quality is a bit higher. Much more customizable too if you BTO. I think the Bentley smells better too!
I would hope so since a small herd died to provide you with such an interior

Quote:
Ride quality favors the Bentley by a wide margin. Much smoother, less jarring. A big deal for me.
I'm sure the kids appreciate that, too. All of the other kids riding around in daddy's Porsche are going to be so jealous

Quote:
Performance is fairly similar but favors the Bentley a bit, more noticeable at low-speed driving and acceleration - less hesitation. Similarly for highway driving - but both feel essentially limitless.
How about handling? Both are big boys, but is there any (significant) difference between the two when you fly into the twisty bits?

Quote:
Customer service at Bentley is a completely different world. The car is picked up and dropped off in my garage, and the extra driver is transported in a Porsche Panamera no less.
Very nice, but I think I'd get more amusement out of the Bentley being followed by a VW Beatle. The contrast would be quite comical I'd feel bad for the driver, though.

Quote:
That's it in a nutshell, I'd be happy with either car. And my time in the Bentley really drives home how good the 6er is at $75k cheaper. It will remain on my list when it comes to trading in.
Glad you're enjoying it. It's such a beautiful car! Thanks for stopping by to post the pictures and review and allowing me to live vicariously through you

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Bentley Continental
Thanks! It is in fact the W-12, and it is indeed crammed in there.

As far as handling, they feel pretty similar - except for when you get on bumpy pavement - where the better suspension of the Bentley feels more planted, less unsettled during the turns. A bit more pleasant overall - though I don't think you're pulling any more Gs.

Previous Rides
2012 650i xDrive - Loved it! 2010 535i xDrive - Very competent. Too sensible? 2008 Audi S6 - Still miss the V10.
2003 Maserati Coupe - The end of an era. 2002 Maserati Coupe - Gone and mostly forgotten. 2002 MB CLK 430 - Gone but not forgotten.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM

So cool! Congrats, and don't be a stranger!