Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Manual 6sp to auto...M Roadster to 335 Convertitible

I have a wonderful '06 M Roadster that I really love but at my age am starting to realize that I need something larger so I am looking to trade for a 335 convertible('07-10)....one question is how will I enjoy/like the auto trans compared to the 6 MT...Thanks
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Why not avoid the question altogether and get a 6MT 335i? You say you want something larger, not less fun to drive.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Why not avoid the question altogether and get a 6MT 335i? You say you want something larger, not less fun to drive.
+1
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well if you get the paddle shifters, its kind of like a manual but no clutch to keep pushing in, I use to only drive manuals, but when I got my second 4 runner they didnt offer Manuals, so it was an auto, so all I buy now are automatics, I still have my Triumph TR6 which is a manual when I have the urge to shift gears.

I think you will like it

Hondo
Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin717 View Post
I have a wonderful '06 M Roadster that I really love but at my age am starting to realize that I need something larger so I am looking to trade for a 335 convertible('07-10)....one question is how will I enjoy/like the auto trans compared to the 6 MT...Thanks

If you're asking us, there's one important qualifier: We're not you.

You know the rest.

I recommend you post your impressions. Give us the long & short - should be interesting.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I've had several including an '04 M3 and an '07 335 sedan all with 6MTs.....actually the 335 sedan with the 6MT was probably the sweetiest car I've ever driven(combining power and shifting ease).....the problem is that there are not many 6MT convertibles around....but that would be my first choice.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I drove nothing but MTs for years but when I ordered my 335i Convertible I decided to get a Steptronic. I do not regret the decision at all.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
stick with 6MT whilst your right hand/arm is still capable shifting gears and your brain is still capable of having ultimate driving enjoyment
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
After 12+ years of driving cars with manual transmissions, I do not regret the absence of the clutch pedal but do love the ability to "shift" with the triptronic transmission. In fact, that is how I drive 99% of the time. Some claim that the 3rd pedal makes driving more fun, to each their own! To me it makes for more involvement, not in a good way!

OP - test drive both and let the best one win, however it is you define "best."

Good luck and post pics when you get it....

Bemo

Last edited by Bemo; 01-27-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Coming from an E86M myself, and having a steptronic 335 at the same time, the answer is .... no.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
stick with 6MT whilst your right hand/arm is still capable shifting gears and your brain is still capable of having ultimate driving enjoyment
+1. Dance with you car using all your limbs.

Flappy paddles are like those people who "dance" while sitting on their chairs at wedding receptions.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
+1. Dance with you car using all your limbs.

Flappy paddles are like those people who "dance" while sitting on their chairs at wedding receptions.
"Flappy Paddles" are now on most race cars including F1 and ALMS. F1 drivers left foot brake and use all of their limbs. Yes I know that the Steptrionic is not the same as a race car transmission but by the same token neither is the 6 speed manual.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 01-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
"Flappy Paddles" are now on most race cars including F1 and ALMS. F1 drivers left foot brake and use all of their limbs. Yes I know that the Steptrionic is not the same as a race car transmission but by the same token neither is the 6 speed manual.

CA
I hear what you're saying and I know that 3-pedal cars are no longer more efficient nor faster than modern automated transmissions. Still, when the subject is driving enjoyment in a street car/daily driver, 3-pedals is more fun and involving the same way some people prefer Weber charcoal grills to gas ones.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I hear what you're saying and I know that 3-pedal cars are no longer more efficient nor faster than modern automated transmissions. Still, when the subject is driving enjoyment in a street car/daily driver, 3-pedals is more fun and involving the same way some people prefer Weber charcoal grills to gas ones.
I hear what you are saying but frankly I don't find driving any car on public roads at a fraction of its capabilities all that involving regardless of what kind of transmission it has. I find it enjoyable but not particularly involving. After years of driving MTs shifting gears, including double clutching and heel and toeing, became second nature and not what I would call involving.

What I consider involving is driving a car at the limits knowing that if you go any faster you will lose control. This is not something I would try on public roads and even if I could I would not want to have to be driving with the level of concentration that that style of driving requires when I am out for a pleasant drive. IN that situation I do not have the need to feel involved. I need to concentrate on driving and feel that I am in control of the car and understand what is going on around me but I also want to feel somewhat relaxed. In the words of Mario Andretti "If everything seems under control you aren't going fast enough"

In any case I understand that many people enjoy driving MTs, myself included, and would not try to talk anyone out of one but IMO there is much more to high performance driving than shifting gears. Perhaps the fact that I regularly get to drive an MT car has somewhat influenced my lack of interest for an MT on my street car.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

In any case I understand that many people enjoy driving MTs, myself included, and would not try to talk anyone out of one but IMO there is much more to high performance driving than shifting gears. Perhaps the fact that I regularly get to drive an MT car has somewhat influenced my lack of interest for an MT on my street car.

CA

I've read a lot of your posts here and your experience with cars and driving is certainly much more than mine. I don't have nearly as much seat time and I only have one car.

This could explain our differences in perspective.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:

I've read a lot of your posts here and your experience with cars and driving is certainly much more than mine. I don't have nearly as much seat time and I only have one car.

This could explain our differences in perspective.
Perhaps, but I respect your opinion. And personal preferences are exactly that, personal preferences, and you have to go with what you like. I was an MT diehard for years and I enjoyed every minute of driving those cars, but I also enjoy driving my AT street cars.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-28-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Whoa! Wait a minute! Define "at my age". Why exactly do you need "more room"? Grandchildren? Unless you're approaching your 80's and have an arthritic left left and/or right arm, why give up the M Roadster?

My wife has a 6MT 335is Coupe and it's fun to drive but it is nowhere near the fun of driving my M Roadster. My choice for more than a weekend trip, but no comparison.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
My $.02... I think there are many of us MT die hards because the experiences we've had with ATs is likely with rental cars. That at least goes for me. And the rental cars I've driven are usually garbage to include the slush box. I've seen plenty of complaints about the ATs in the E9X 328s. But people usually post about their dislikes and problems. I'm certain there are plenty of 328 drivers that don't mind their ATs one bit, but don't find that remarkable enough to post about it. As for the AT in the 335i and 335d, far fewer complaints. And the reviews on the 8 Speed ATs in the F30 seem to be glowing.

Since the OP is looking at a 335, I've got a feeling he'll be alright.

I went the MT route both for preference and reliability over the long haul. Plus there seems an undeniable pureness in a 6MT and NA I6. I just love how it pulls to redline.

Last edited by PartyBoyWA; 01-28-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
HKD

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Titan Silv Red
Have had 04 325i 5mt and 07 335i 6at streptronic with paddle shifters and 08 335i with 6mt. Love the mt living in so cal. It's slower than dct but it is IMHO just pure and smile every time I drive it.

2013 e92 335i Titan Silver Corral Red
6MT Prem Nav M Sport Comft Access PDC HK Sound Fire Seats