Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
Put this here too.

Anyone ever have an issue with their rear brake shield rubbing against the caliper?

Got these weird noise that started from the rear wheel(mostly passenger, but a little driver side but it's not as loud or persistent) as soon as a lowered the car about 1/4", and I also added reinforcement plate to the RSM's. Sounds like I'm rubbing on something almost, and it is directly related to speed. Was thinking bearing, but I didn't hear anything before the lowering process, and if I wobble the tire there is no play. Suspension was already installed and no settings were changed, just turned the coil down a little. Tires were taken off and there are no signs of tire rub at all. Not felt in the car or steering wheel at all.

So, weird rubbing sound related to speed, no tire rub. Came after lowering a little, and put Turner reiforcement plates on the RSM. Only noise, no vibration. No play in wheel.

Maybe the e-brake adjuster got tweaked from the lowering? Or maybe the shield got put against the rotor? Porbbaly going to pull the rotor tomorrow night to check for signs of the shield rubbing against the rotor. Haven't got an alignment yet, was waiting until I got the ride height really hammered out before I did that.

So where would you start?
You canít spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat
gangsta ****
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I6 feels good

Mein Auto: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaV MaNN View Post
Put this here too.

Anyone ever have an issue with their rear brake shield rubbing against the caliper?

Got these weird noise that started from the rear wheel(mostly passenger, but a little driver side but it's not as loud or persistent) as soon as a lowered the car about 1/4", and I also added reinforcement plate to the RSM's. Sounds like I'm rubbing on something almost, and it is directly related to speed. Was thinking bearing, but I didn't hear anything before the lowering process, and if I wobble the tire there is no play. Suspension was already installed and no settings were changed, just turned the coil down a little. Tires were taken off and there are no signs of tire rub at all. Not felt in the car or steering wheel at all.

So, weird rubbing sound related to speed, no tire rub. Came after lowering a little, and put Turner reiforcement plates on the RSM. Only noise, no vibration. No play in wheel.

Maybe the e-brake adjuster got tweaked from the lowering? Or maybe the shield got put against the rotor? Porbbaly going to pull the rotor tomorrow night to check for signs of the shield rubbing against the rotor. Haven't got an alignment yet, was waiting until I got the ride height really hammered out before I did that.

So where would you start?
I happen to have the same issue, but with the front passenger wheels, I hear a constant clicking and sometimes grinding noise...

But does not do it all the time, I removed the wheel, pull the brake shield forward and drove again, seemed to go away, but then last night happened again...

All this happened after I lowered the car... Idk where to look anymore
Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
For searchers.

My problem was that I had one lug bolt that was barely too long and it was scraping against the parking brake. Took it out and no noise.

Off to the dealer tomorrow for a replacement.
You canít spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: Passat
Verify that the bolts arent't to corrored otherwise your problem can get really tricky.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 3181
just purchased a 1997 318i, car needed some work and did most of it my self to correct oil leaks and noises that was caused by the belt tensioner. however I now notice that the exhaust sounds a bit loud when driving checked with the car lot I bought the car from to see if there was a leak. but they told me it was because the exhaust was a aftermarket magna flow. I think that maybe it has something to do with insulation, or maybe the exhaust is touching the body and the sound is being transmitted throughout the interior of the car. does anyone have a take on this? any suggestion as to how to have a quieter interior would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglarry20 View Post
just purchased a 1997 318i, car needed some work and did most of it my self to correct oil leaks and noises that was caused by the belt tensioner. however I now notice that the exhaust sounds a bit loud when driving checked with the car lot I bought the car from to see if there was a leak. but they told me it was because the exhaust was a aftermarket magna flow. I think that maybe it has something to do with insulation, or maybe the exhaust is touching the body and the sound is being transmitted throughout the interior of the car. does anyone have a take on this? any suggestion as to how to have a quieter interior would be greatly appreciated.
Dynamat.

B-Quiet. (1/2 the price for 80% of the qualities).

Install and money.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 94 Mtechnic, 91 vette
Jack it up, check to see if it's rubbing the body anywhere. Otherwise it could just be a noisey muffler(i've never heard magnaflow on e36's). Dynamat helps a bit, but you could always switch the muffler out. I used "hushmat" when I did my vette. Easy to use and cheaper than dynamat
Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Smooth Operator

Mein Auto: '98 BMW 323is
OK, I'm hearing a single clunk/pop from the rear end when torque gets applied to the drivetrain. It's especially loud from a dead stop right after engaging the clutch, but I can also reproduce it to a lesser degree by hitting the gas at lower speeds or sometimes downshifting. It sounds more like its coming from the passenger side, but I'm not 100% on that.

I just picked it up a little over a week ago after having the suspension completely overhauled, including the sub-frame mounts, diff mount, etc. All of the mounting points on the chassis for the sub-frame and rear shocks were in solid shape. Everything was feeling great up until last night when I started hearing this banging noise.

Both the guys from the shop I've been dealing with with are out of town until early next week, so I figured I'd post something on here in the meantime. Anyone have any thoughts about what's causing this? Should I be driving this thing at all until I figure out what's wrong?

'98 BMW 323is
'87 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R
Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: what ever starts
Straight line? Turning? I had a clunking noise that turned out to be the camber bolts. I would hear the noise when I loaded up the suspension. It would only do it once. Check your flex disc and you tranny mounts. Both easy to check and to replace. Do you have access to a lift. If so get the rear wheels off the ground and turn the drive shaft each way to check for play. You might hear a slight clunk there. Start slow check the things you can. I had another clunk I thought was the rear end but it was the shaft. SAFETY FIRST
Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Smooth Operator

Mein Auto: '98 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Straight line? Turning? I had a clunking noise that turned out to be the camber bolts. I would hear the noise when I loaded up the suspension. It would only do it once. Check your flex disc and you tranny mounts. Both easy to check and to replace. Do you have access to a lift. If so get the rear wheels off the ground and turn the drive shaft each way to check for play. You might hear a slight clunk there. Start slow check the things you can. I had another clunk I thought was the rear end but it was the shaft. SAFETY FIRST
You called it. It turns out someone did some suspension work back there before I owned it, and they installed some bolts that were the wrong size. They were too thin and the slack it created inside the surrounding bushing was causing things to move around. I got the right ones installed and that took care of it.

'98 BMW 323is
'87 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R
Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM

Good for you. Glad to share.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 93 BMW 325is E36 2dr 5spd
Re: Sounds From the Rear: Explained

I'm getting a slight pop sound when I really get into it. Its not a continuous sound only when I first let the clutch out at an above average rpm. I've replace shock and shockmount. It fixed it the majority of the sound. But its still there. Is there anything else this could possibly be?

Sent from my VS910 4G using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Trailing arm bushing, camber bolts, drive shaft brace.
Is it just when you let out the clutch or can you get it to make the sound if you hit it in a low gear. You need to do some more research and report back. If something is unloaded it might only happen once and then not make a sound. I would look at the brace and flex disc first and see waht you can come up with. Any vibration or just the pop?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Ok thank you. I'll look into those. But not getting a vibration. Wheel bearring in the rear just started humming which I'm going to replace it now. But the pop was there before the humming.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 AM

It does do it when I do a rolling start.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM

An often overlooked is the camber bolt. I spent a ton of time and cash looking for something and then it turned out to be that bolts. If you are comforatble doing it you can check your bolts and rtab when you change the bearings. Start simple and check the flex disc and center brace.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Will do. I do all my own work. Been to school. This is my first BMW so its all new to me. Just doing research before I jump into it.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM

It sounds like you are having the same issue that Downtown had. My bolts were oem but very rusted and worn.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 BMW 3 Series E36
Hi all, this is my first ever post, so please be gentle. I have recently purchased a 1991 320i with 12900kms on her. Amazing car to drive. The only thing that is really annoying me at the moment is a thumping noise from the drivers rear on braking. My mechanic has had the car for three days now, the discs are fine, the pads have heaps of grip left on them, there is nothing wrong with the bearings either (that was his main concern). He took it for a drive around town, and couldnt hear the noise. I find once I have been open road driving and have to enter town driving and brake at traffic lights it happens then. Brakes applied, thump thump thump thump, car stops. Drive off, no noise, next set of traffic lights or braking to stop and it happens again. I am a little stressed as I miss my car, apparently it is being put back together for me to drive tomorrow with my mechanic so he can see how I drive and also if he can pick up the noise. I just dont understand how hard it can be to diagnose a thump. Please help......
Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 AM

When you here the noise, do you feel anything? Vibration pounding anything? Could be any of you dif mounts. Something is worn and when you are braking it's geometry is changing. Are you sure it is from the rear. Most braking is done by the fronts. Over twenty year old car stuff dries and get brittle. Could be a warped rotor also. Start slow and think it through.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM

My mechanic and I went out for a drive. The thumping noise didn't happen. But I can now hear my diff whining. He believes the other noises I could hear are all related to the diff needing repairs. I am happy with that diagnosis as after reading these forums and talking to a few people that own BMW's it seems to definitely make sense.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Your sure it is the dif and not just the road noise from your tires? Out of curiosity do you know when the dif lube was last changed?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:41 AM

Diff lube was changed four thousand kilometers ago. The types do make some road noise, but there is also a distinctive whining coming from the diff area. It has also developed a leak as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 E36
Rear End Noise

I have replaced my Guibo, Driveshaft, and CV Axles. I am still getting a horrible vibration/growl noise as soon as I get to 45+ mph I have listened to my wheel bearings and no noise from them. Could the rear diff be making that noise?