Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 01-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Confirmed dates - updated itinerary - looking for recommendations along current route

Hello everyone,

My last thread was very helpful and I've since moved forward with my purchase and finalized dates. I am now planning on this route:

I'm not sure where to plan on staying after leaving Salzburg in the itinerary below.

Itinerary:
May 10th: Take the redeye direct to Munich.
May 11th: Arrive in Munich ~10am local time. Get picked up by Rolf. Check in to hotel. Explore city.
May 12th: Continue to explore Munich, tour the BMW museum.
May 13th: Go on the factory tour, check in at welt, pick car up at 3:40pm. Depart Welt for Salzburg.
May 14th: Depart Salzburg on the highway south, drive south along the Grossglockner and then back north the same way to Salzburg. This day will entirely consist of driving the grossglockner, taking pictures, etc.
May 15th: Spend the day in Salzburg. (This day and the previous day may be swapped depending on our energy level)
May 16th: Depart Salzburg along the Alpenstrasse toward Fussen.

Here's where I need your help. I'm unsure how much of the Alpenstrasse to chew off everyday, where to stay, or exactly what to do. I don't have to have everything planned out and it might be fun to just wing this part of the trip, but I'd love to hear suggestions. I want to stick to this driving route pretty closely, but I'm open to suggestions.

May 19th: Stay the night in Fussen.
May 20th: Explore Castles and Andechs.
May 21st: Drive back to Munich, drop off car, fly home to wait for PCD.

To sum up: Give me suggestions on where to stay and what to do, especially in the May 16th to May 19th timeframe.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
You and I seem to be doing a similar circuit, but in opposite directions. Maybe we'll meet in the middle somewhere.

Things that I'm doing between Salzburg and Fussen include Berchdesgaden, Innsbruck, and the Zugspitze; see my updated thread in this forum. But as this is my first trip to Germany and Austria, I'm more qualified to ask for advice than to give it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Bimmer App
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Good route. In Salzburg there are countless good hotels for a good rate, I'd point you to bookings.com and bring up salzburg and then switch to map mode, look around for a place that has room decor to your liking and you should be good there. There are also several good B&B near neuschwanstein castle you could look into as well, but wifi in those isn't likely if that's important to you.

I also don't think there's unlimited roads on your segment, A10 might be (but not sure) the fastest road at 130km/hr.

PS, I had a May 13th delivery date but moved it back 5 days to Sat the 18th so I could make it up to Nurburgring for a taxi ride on the 26th. I'll be in Salzburg on the 19th, Innsbruck/Mieders on the 20th (heck of a alpine coaster there I here) and over to Neuschwanstein on the 21st. I haven't booked hotels yet but did some deep checking on the cities last week.

Last edited by edx1; 01-27-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
Good route. In Salzburg there are countless good hotels for a good rate, I'd point you to bookings.com and bring up salzburg and then switch to map mode, look around for a place that has room decor to your liking and you should be good there. There are also several good B&B near neuschwanstein castle you could look into as well, but wifi in those isn't likely if that's important to you.

I also don't think there's unlimited roads on your segment, A10 might be (but not sure) the fastest road at 130km/hr.

PS, I had a May 13th delivery date but moved it back 5 days to Sat the 18th so I could make it up to Nurburgring for a taxi ride on the 26th. I'll be in Salzburg on the 19th, Innsbruck/Mieders on the 20th (heck of a alpine coaster there I here) and over to Neuschwanstein on the 21st. I haven't booked hotels yet but did some deep checking on the cities last week.

Thanks for the tip on the hotels. The A952 (last bit of highway coming into Munich from the south) is unlimited. I won't be past break in anyway.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Good route.

Couple thoughts -
1. Hotel Mueller (in Hohenschwangau) is a perfect vantage for visiting the Castles. It is literally between the two. Hotel Sonne (in Füssen) is a fantastic boutique hotel with a tiny parking garage. My personal recommendation would be to stay at Mueller as it will give you easy access to the hotels and you can always drive to Füssen for exploration time. When we stayed there last, they would also acquire your castle tickets for you (no guarantee that they still will).

2. If you have the budget for it, Hotel Sacher in Salzburg is amazing. Great location (right across a bridge from the old town), great staff, good food. Highly recommend.

3. When you are in Salzburg, don't just drive down the A10 unless you intend to stop at Hohenwerfeng. I suggest you drive down through Berchtesgaden, then by Zell Am See via the B311. Very nice road, and Zell am See is a gorgeous lake with several places to get out and stretch your legs. If you take this route, watch out for a statue of George fighting the Dragon made out of a trash in a round-about. Our pics of it didn't turn out well on our ED and I'd appreciate a better one. ;-)

4. You'll be near one of my favorite roads. If you can work it on, while coming back from Winklern, take the B166 to Hallstatt. Amazing drive, gorgeous town. If you add this route to your itinerary, don't make the mistake of taking the B145 back to Salzburg, return up B166 to B162 to A10 as B145 is boring.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
My only recommendations is to combine your visit to Andechs with your return trip back to Munich. Although Füssen isn't far from Munich (1.5 to 2 hours depending on traffic), you'll drive right by Andechs on your way back to the city. Maybe drive back a day early and do Andechs on the way? Or stay local to Andechs so you can really enjoy the bier?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesoffen View Post
My only recommendations is to combine your visit to Andechs with your return trip back to Munich. Although Füssen isn't far from Munich (1.5 to 2 hours depending on traffic), you'll drive right by Andechs on your way back to the city. Maybe drive back a day early and do Andechs on the way? Or stay local to Andechs so you can really enjoy the bier?
Fiancée doesn't like beer - she can drive after andechs! I may move the last night stay closer to Andechs and/or do it on the way back to Munich. My drop off is at ~ noon, though.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
Good route.

Couple thoughts -
1. Hotel Mueller (in Hohenschwangau) is a perfect vantage for visiting the Castles. It is literally between the two. Hotel Sonne (in Füssen) is a fantastic boutique hotel with a tiny parking garage. My personal recommendation would be to stay at Mueller as it will give you easy access to the hotels and you can always drive to Füssen for exploration time. When we stayed there last, they would also acquire your castle tickets for you (no guarantee that they still will).

2. If you have the budget for it, Hotel Sacher in Salzburg is amazing. Great location (right across a bridge from the old town), great staff, good food. Highly recommend.

3. When you are in Salzburg, don't just drive down the A10 unless you intend to stop at Hohenwerfeng. I suggest you drive down through Berchtesgaden, then by Zell Am See via the B311. Very nice road, and Zell am See is a gorgeous lake with several places to get out and stretch your legs. If you take this route, watch out for a statue of George fighting the Dragon made out of a trash in a round-about. Our pics of it didn't turn out well on our ED and I'd appreciate a better one. ;-)

4. You'll be near one of my favorite roads. If you can work it on, while coming back from Winklern, take the B166 to Hallstatt. Amazing drive, gorgeous town. If you add this route to your itinerary, don't make the mistake of taking the B145 back to Salzburg, return up B166 to B162 to A10 as B145 is boring.
1) Great suggestion...we will most likely book that hotel - it looks fantastic.

2) little higher than we wanted, but it looks pretty amazing. May consider this place.

3) The A10 was chosen mostly for time. I want to cross the grockglossner, turn around and drive back to Salzburg in a day. I'm not sure how much time that will take. I'm considering spending the night in Berchtesgaden (after departing Salzburg to head towards fussen), which would allow a day trip down to zell am see.

Last edited by KLC; 01-28-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
Good route.

Couple thoughts -

Just looked over 4) on a map. That does look good. Do you think I could depart Salzburg on the A10 south, cross the Grossglockner south, turn around, drive back across the Grossglockner, then catch B166 to Hallstatt, back up B166 to the B145 to the A10 to Salzburg in a day? I wouldn't want to do it non-stop, I'd like to stop to take pictures and sightsee a bit. I suppose we could always take the B166 on a day trip from Berchtesgaden (I might stay there a night after leaving Salzburg)

Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
Just looked over 4) on a map. That does look good. Do you think I could depart Salzburg on the A10 south, cross the Grossglockner south, turn around, drive back across the Grossglockner, then catch B166 to Hallstatt, back up B166 to the B145 to the A10 to Salzburg in a day? I wouldn't want to do it non-stop, I'd like to stop to take pictures and sightsee a bit. I suppose we could always take the B166 on a day trip from Berchtesgaden (I might stay there a night after leaving Salzburg)
Yes. We did a larger loop than that almost exclusively non-highway and were getting back into Salzburg as the sun was setting.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
Hello everyone,

My last thread was very helpful and I've since moved forward with my purchase and finalized dates. I am now planning on this route:

I'm not sure where to plan on staying after leaving Salzburg in the itinerary below.

Itinerary:
May 11th: Arrive in Munich ~10am local time. Get picked up by Rolf. Check in to hotel. Explore city.
May 13th: Go on the factory tour, check in at welt, pick car up at 3:40pm. Depart Welt for Salzburg.
May 14th: Depart Salzburg on the highway south, drive south along the Grossglockner and then back north the same way to Salzburg. This day will entirely consist of driving the grossglockner, taking pictures, etc.
May 15th: Spend the day in Salzburg. (This day and the previous day may be swapped depending on our energy level)
May 16th: Depart Salzburg along the Alpenstrasse toward Fussen.

Here's where I need your help. I'm unsure how much of the Alpenstrasse to chew off everyday, where to stay, or exactly what to do. I don't have to have everything planned out and it might be fun to just wing this part of the trip, but I'd love to hear suggestions. I want to stick to this driving route pretty closely, but I'm open to suggestions.

May 19th: Stay the night in Fussen.
May 20th: Explore Castles and Andechs.

To sum up: Give me suggestions on where to stay and what to do, especially in the May 16th to May 19th timeframe.

Updated:

Itinerary:

May 11th: Arrive in Munich ~10am local time. Get picked up by Rolf. Drop off luggage at hotel, walk around Marienplatz, Check into hotel. Explore city.

May 13th: Go on the factory tour, check in at welt, pick car up at 3:40pm. Depart Welt for Salzburg/Berchestesgaden (I'm not sure where to stay yet).

May 14th: Depart on the highway south, drive south along the Grossglockner and then back north the same way with a detour to Hallstatt if time permits. This day will entirely consist of driving the grossglockner, taking pictures, etc.

May 16th: Drive to Berchtesgaden. Take the Konigssee lake tour. Visit Ramsau Church. Drive down south to Zell am See and back to Salzburg for the night.

May 17th: Drive to somewhere near F. Stop and take picture along the way. Enjoy the countryside.

May 18th: Drive towards Fussen. Do Castle tours, check in to Hotel in Hohenschwangau.

May 19th: Visit Andechs, visit other Castle.

May 20th: Do the Zugspitze cable car/train tour leaving from Grainau.

Any suggestions for a place to stay near 'F' on the map? I'm probably just going to look for a B&B near Benediktbeurn

Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Very smart idea that you will explore Munich without your car. Central Munich is a little hard to drive but slightly farther out, like where BMW is located is easy. It's also nice that you aren't picking up the car after a red eye.

Does the car come with floor mats? If not, bring paper?

We should help each other out to find out which hotels are good for cars, such as safe parking and a better neighborhood. Also find out where to buy parts in Germany, specifically a German spec driver's mirror glass. I wonder if it is available in the US. At one time, I think one dealer in CT sold it along with a non-dealer.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 04-09-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 AM

Not sure about floor mats. I don't think so.

I'm staying at a small b&b outside Salzburg and a hotel mueller in howenswangu. Both offering parking

Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 AM

From searching this forum it appears floor mats come with ED cars.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
I don't have any hotel recommendations along your route from Salzburg to Fussen other than the Kugelmuhle for the Salzburg area. We stayed at the Kugelmuhle in Marktschellenberg (near Salzburg, Ramsau and Berchtesgaden) in 2010 and liked it very much. It is inexpensive, has safe parking, great views of the mountains from the south facing rooms and a good breakfast. We liked it so much that we have reserved four nights for this September. As I don't like unpacking, re-packing, checking in and checking out I would recommend staying in the Salzburg area while visiting Berchtesgaden and doing your Grossglockner and Halstatt drives. In case you have not seen the thread you should do a search for "parking in Halstatt". If you go there without a parking plan you might end up as I did and give up. This September we are giving Halstatt another try - with a parking plan!

The only sights that I would add to your list are: Eagle's Nest and Documentation Center in Berchtesgaden, the Linderhof Palace near Oberammergau and Wieskirche near Steingaden.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Ramsau church tip - go inside. Most likely no one else will be there. Nose around a little bit. Kind of hidden from general view there used to be a large picture frame with all of the local German soldiers killed in World War II. Pretty sobering to see so many died from such a tiny rural area.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with almost any accomodations in Berchtesgaden. In thirty plus years of going there at least once per year, we've rarely stayed in the same place twice. We are confirmed budget travelers and prefer farm stays, pensions and zimmer frei. However for not a whole lot more you might consider: http://www.edelweiss-berchtesgaden.c...-hotel-bavaria. Right in the center of Berchtesgaden. It looks very comfortable and perhaps a little too classy for us, but the outside bar with fur blankets and propane heaters at every table drew us in. When I win the lottery perhaps.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2011 Ford Fiesta (grey)

Last edited by Gluhwein; 05-11-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
Ramsau church tip - go inside. Most likely no one else will be there. Nose around a little bit. Kind of hidden from general view there used to be a large picture frame with all of the local German soldiers killed in World War II. Pretty sobering to see so many died from such a tiny rural area.
Great tip. I didn't notice the photos when I went there in 2010. I will make a point of checking it out this September.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
I don't have any hotel recommendations along your route from Salzburg to Fussen other than the Kugelmuhle for the Salzburg area. We stayed at the Kugelmuhle in Marktschellenberg (near Salzburg, Ramsau and Berchtesgaden) in 2010 and liked it very much. It is inexpensive, has safe parking, great views of the mountains from the south facing rooms and a good breakfast. We liked it so much that we have reserved four nights for this September. As I don't like unpacking, re-packing, checking in and checking out I would recommend staying in the Salzburg area while visiting Berchtesgaden and doing your Grossglockner and Halstatt drives. In case you have not seen the thread you should do a search for "parking in Halstatt". If you go there without a parking plan you might end up as I did and give up. This September we are giving Halstatt another try - with a parking plan!

The only sights that I would add to your list are: Eagle's Nest and Documentation Center in Berchtesgaden, the Linderhof Palace near Oberammergau and Wieskirche near Steingaden.
Here's my mostly updated route.
http://mapq.st/X6xOaC

And latest Itinerary:

Itinerary:

May 11th: Arrive in Munich ~10am local time. Get picked up by Rolf. Drop off luggage at hotel, walk around Marienplatz, Check into hotel. Explore city.

May 12th: Continue to explore Munich in the morning, tour the BMW museum (closed Monday).

May 13th: Go on the factory tour at 11:45. Check in by 11. pick car up at 3:40pm. Depart Welt for Bad Rechienhall (staying 4 nights at a farmhouse B&B).

May 14th: Depart on the highway south, drive south along the Grossglockner and then back north the same way with a detour to Hallstatt if time permits. This day will entirely consist of driving the grossglockner, taking pictures, etc.

May 15th: Spend the day in Salzburg. Old city. Fortress. May do Hallstatt this day if time did not allow for the previous day.

May 16th: Drive to Berchtesgaden. Take the Konigssee lake tour. Visit Ramsau Church. Eagles nest.

May 17th: Drive to Next Hotel (near N...already booked...forgot the name). Stop and take picture along the way. Enjoy the countryside.

May 18th: Drive towards Fussen. Linderhof palace? Wieskirche? Do A castle tour, check in to Hotel Muller in Hohenschwangau.

May 19th: Visit other Castle + Andechs + Fussen

May 20th: Do the Zugspitze cable car/train tour leaving from Grainau.

May 21st: Drive back to Munich, hitting some unrestricted autobahn, drop off car, fly home to wait for PCD.

Last edited by KLC; 04-11-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 AM

Your trip plan and itinerary posted on April 10 looks great. Let us know where you plan to stay along the Alpenstrasse as I am sure I will want to spend more time on the Alpenstrase on some future trip.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Your trip plan and itinerary posted on April 10 looks great. Let us know where you plan to stay along the Alpenstrasse as I am sure I will want to spend more time on the Alpenstrase on some future trip.
We're staying at Landgasthof - Hotel Reindlschmiede. I'll report back on our experience!

Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM

Landgasthof - Hotel Reindlschmiede is reasonably priced, looks pretty neat and is really well reviewed on Tripadvisor. Should be a winner.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Landgasthof - Hotel Reindlschmiede is reasonably priced, looks pretty neat and is really well reviewed on Tripadvisor. Should be a winner.
I'm hoping so. It's our only single night stay, so even if it's not great we won't be there long. We have a 4 night stay and a 3 night stay elsewhere.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
I would recommend Linderhof and its Grotto. My family enjoyed it a lot. If the other hotels in Fussen are booked, I would recommend Hotel Sommer as well.