Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Must
M sport package
Xenon
Leather

Nice to if I can afford
Sunroof
Bigger wheels (can always update later when cash flow is better)
Gps (Garmin is much better to use)

Meh....
Heated seats
Tv function....
Etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Xenon and sport or m sport.

Sport auto if you get an auto. I'm not biased or anything its just what I got

I got parking sensors too but I wouldn't consider it must have. I'd say Sirius for me is a must have but premium wasn't so get that retrofit.

A lot of people say dhp. I'd say its a near must on and xdrive. But the sport suspension is not that rough . I drive in LA where the roads are fairly terrible and its not bad at all.

Last edited by hans007; 01-28-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
What can ya offer for $750 that improves upon the F30 HK? My wallet is ready

The F30 HK is about as good as EPS in my M3. Bass isn't as tight, and it still suffers from too much treble at 2k/5k/10k. Take each of those down about 3 clicks and you have something that doesn't make your ears bleed.
Your impression is quite accurate: the F30 HK is about as close as you can get to the Individual Audio in the M3 spec-wise... even the woofers are the same 7ohms instead of the HK 4ohms in the past. Power is slightly less (600 vs 825W), so that explains why the bass is not as tight -but even the IA was not known for tight bass anyways.

The HK could be upgraded for about $1100 in parts and coding (it has to be coded back to HiFi, otherwise there is an extra $700 expense just to replace the OEM amp), because those 7ohms underseat woofers must be replaced.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Seriously? The EPS in my M3 I've found to be superior to the HK sound system in the 3. I've messed with the settings in every which way possible, too.
Yup. Remember the F30 HK system is quite a bit different/better than what's in the E9x cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Your impression is quite accurate: the F30 HK is about as close as you can get to the Individual Audio in the M3 spec-wise... even the woofers are the same 7ohms instead of the HK 4ohms in the past. Power is slightly less (600 vs 825W), so that explains why the bass is not as tight -but even the IA was not known for tight bass anyways.

The HK could be upgraded for about $1100 in parts and coding (it has to be coded back to HiFi, otherwise there is an extra $700 expense just to replace the OEM amp), because those 7ohms underseat woofers must be replaced.
Believe it or not, I can tell the loss of amplifier power in the F30 HK, vs the EPS in M3. The midbass loses control lower in the volume range, and everything else starts falling apart at higher levels.

I'd be more interested in improving the amp, vs. "more bass". The mids have a fairly neutral quality to them.

Is there another thread we should be discussing this on??
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
If you're good at it that can be arranged.

BJ
Fixed it for ya.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Yup. Remember the F30 HK system is quite a bit different/better than what's in the E9x cars.

Believe it or not, I can tell the loss of amplifier power in the F30 HK, vs the EPS in M3. The midbass loses control lower in the volume range, and everything else starts falling apart at higher levels.

I'd be more interested in improving the amp, vs. "more bass". The mids have a fairly neutral quality to them.

You could open a new thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
328i Configuration. It's a fantastic engine, makes a ton of HP, makes gobs of torque, is lighter than previous generations, handles like a dream, and gets great gas mileage. The 335i is overkill. Great car, not necessary anymore. The 328i closed the gap too tightly for the 335i to matter anymore.

Rear Wheel Drive. Own the car the way it was meant to be owned. XDrive is not a way to avoid snow tires. Very few geographic areas require both XDrive and snow tires anyway, so its a waste of time and money.

A "Line". The base model is missing too many features and too much styling. You need a Sport line or a Luxury line. Start there.

Technology Package. The LCD screen is the centerpiece of the cockpit and the smaller panel shoved in the larger piece of plastic looks atrocious. The F30 is a technological marvel, one shouldn't skimp on iPhone integration, album art, split screen, streaming audio, and of course the heads-up display.

Snow Tires. Not a BMW option, but if you live where the majority of 3 Series are sold you need good rubber for the winter time. No matter how you build your car, reserve $1200 for this critical safety feature. If it boils down to snow tires vs. XDrive, you choose the snow tires. Every time.

Lighting Package. A BMW isn't a BMW without xenon's. Not only is it a signature styling cue, but it is a quantum leap in illumination which enhances performance and safety.

Premium Package. Lots of goodies in an affordably priced bundle. Comfort access, all the toys, leather.

Rear Camera w/Park Distance Control. Very helpful, very safe, and BMW's execution is top-notch. If you have kids or live in a city environment it's a can't-miss feature.

Heated Seats. You don't need the winter package, just the seats.

Those are the "must haves". There are no "must considers" because at $50,000 you can afford any option you want and shouldn't drop a feature or two because you want to save a few dollars. Build it the way you want it, spend the money, done.

BJ
I agree with most of this. Comments:
  • I got mine without a line designation. I scoured the differences between line and no line and could not see significant enough differences to warrant the extra two to four grand. If the difference were $1,000 I might have been talked into it. I understand that thinking is not the norm here.
  • Rear wheel drive is useless in high snow areas, this winter notwithstanding. xDrive is a must have in the Great Lakes region.
  • Rear camera is overkill as far as I am concerned. PDC is enough--there's nothing a camera can add to the informational cues you need that you don't get with PDC.
  • Whatever your thinking on any of the options, you should definitely spend the money and get exactly what you want. If you're willing to drop $50K on a car, then spending $52K or $53K is not going to affect your standard of living even a little.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
  • Whatever your thinking on any of the options, you should definitely spend the money and get exactly what you want. If you're willing to drop $50K on a car, then spending $52K or $53K is not going to affect your standard of living even a little.
Exactly.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 AM

I think just about every option is a must have, except:
  • auto high beams,
  • cold weather package,
  • driver assistance package,
  • driver assistance plus package,
  • window shades,
  • active cruise control,
  • parking assistant, and
  • x drive
Heated rear seats are good enough instead of cold weather package, and PDC + camera instead of driver assistance works for me.

If I had budget contraints, here is what I would have done:
  1. I'd get the luxury line instead of sport line (definitely agree that sport or luxury line is a must have)
  2. I'd delete DHP
  3. I'd delete Sport Transmission w/Paddle shifters
  4. I'd get the 328 instead of the 335
I'd be perfectly happy with this configuration if I had to cut some $$$$$.

EDIT: by the way, if you drop from a 335 to a 328, you MUST add the lighting package that comes standard on the 335.

Last edited by krash; 01-28-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I think just about every option is a must have, except:
  • auto high beams,
  • cold weather package,
  • driver assistance package,
  • driver assistance plus package,
  • window shades,
  • active cruise control, and
  • parking assistant
I got every option on my car, save for Parking Assistant. I skipped Cold Weather, in favor of heated front seats + heated steering wheel, because I don't like the look of the headlight squirters. ACC is not available with M-sport. Other than that, my car is completely loaded including shades and auto high beams, Speed Limit Info, etc.

In real-world use, only Lane Departure Warning is pretty useless. I got this feature as a $0 cost option on the AH3, so I'm not too bummed. I like the shades, because I have two little kids that regularly ride in the back seat. Auto High beams are really nice! They're only $250, and it's basically like being able to have your high beams on all the time except when there is another oncoming car. Helps me concentrate on driving an not being distracted by fooling with the beams on/off. The Xenons throw out a tremendous amount of light on the high setting, so having these stay on as much as possible is very handy, not to mention safe.

Driver Assistant Package is great! I love the cameras. As someone who has scrapped plenty of wheels and bumpers in my time, I appreciate the added information.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I got every option on my car, save for Parking Assistant. I skipped Cold Weather, in favor of heated front seats + heated steering wheel, because I don't like the look of the headlight squirters. ACC is not available with M-sport. Other than that, my car is completely loaded including shades and auto high beams, Speed Limit Info, etc.

In real-world use, only Lane Departure Warning is pretty useless. I got this feature as a $0 cost option on the AH3, so I'm not too bummed. I like the shades, because I have two little kids that regularly ride in the back seat. Auto High beams are really nice! They're only $250, and it's basically like being able to have your high beams on all the time except when there is another oncoming car. Helps me concentrate on driving an not being distracted by fooling with the beams on/off. The Xenons throw out a tremendous amount of light on the high setting, so having these stay on as much as possible is very handy, not to mention safe.

Driver Assistant Package is great! I love the cameras. As someone who has scrapped plenty of wheels and bumpers in my time, I appreciate the added information.
Can you get heated steering wheel as a stand-alone option? I didn't think you could.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Can you get heated steering wheel as a stand-alone option? I didn't think you could.
You could, on the AH3. And it was free. They changed the configurator earlier this month, however, and now it no longer appears to be standalone.

I can show you my window sticker, if you'd like

You can see it on my VIN here: http://bmwvin.com/?vin=F483758&confirm_code=erywd And the CWP is not on there.

Last edited by SamS; 01-28-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You could, on the AH3. And it was free. They changed the configurator earlier this month, however, and now it no longer appears to be standalone.

I can show you my window sticker, if you'd like

You can see it on my VIN here: http://bmwvin.com/?vin=F483758&confirm_code=erywd And the CWP is not on there.
Lucky you.

I would have gotten that. Actually, the cold weather package is the one thing I regret most about not getting.

I had a heated steering wheel on a Nissan Maxima. This was years ago, more than 10 years ago in fact.

I loved it. Haven't had a car with one since.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Lucky you.

I would have gotten that. Actually, the cold weather package is the one thing I regret most about not getting.

I had a heated steering wheel on a Nissan Maxima. This was years ago, more than 10 years ago in fact.

I loved it. Haven't had a car with one since.
In Texas, heated steering wheel is rarely needed... I'd prefer to have a "cooled" option
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM

10 years warranty package

Wish they offer that
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:

That's pretty impressive. I've also found the B&O system in the BMW M5 and M6 to be absolutely amazing. Wish my car had it actually. I'm a rookie audiophile, so my ears are still new to all of this.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
MUST? Just 2 things for me: 3 pedals and Sport. Everything else is gravy.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
MUST? Just 2 things for me: 3 pedals and Sport. Everything else is gravy.
Plus Remus or Borla exhaust