Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Question 17k Suspension problem? or dealer BS?

Do E90's have weak front suspensions?

I have 2011 328i non-sport with 17k. Recently noticed wandering on wavy hwy pavements. Dealer re-aligned, but states front left camber can not be put into spec. Claims likely bent control arm or upper shock tower mount damage. Likely from pothole.

Seems fishy to me. I've owned since new. Alignment was in spec (by same dealer) 3 months ago. I would know if I hit a "serious" pothole. Dealer saying no way to visually know...just start replacing parts!

Tips?

On how to check myself?
or on known problems/failures with these suspensions?
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiatspider2000 View Post

I have 2011 328i non-sport with 17k. Recently noticed wandering on wavy hwy pavements. Dealer re-aligned, but states front left camber can not be put into spec. Claims likely bent control arm or upper shock tower mount damage. Likely from pothole.

Seems fishy to me. I've owned since new. Alignment was in spec (by same dealer) 3 months ago. I would know if I hit a "serious" pothole. Dealer saying no way to visually know...just start replacing parts!

Tips?

On how to check myself?

HERE

If dealer's inspected, your oil filled bushings have been viewed and they are not leaking.

If another camber measurement is out o'spec and agrees w/dealer, hey....there's little camber adjustment in front. What's left is what they said but I'm surprised they can't readily ID the bad part[s]. Bent struts have been known to happen.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-28-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328IX Sportwagon
Quote:

Tips?

On how to check myself?
Get a second opinion from a different BMW dealer, then go forward!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
HERE

If dealer's inspected, your oil filled bushings have been viewed and they are not leaking.

If another camber measurement is out o'spec and agrees w/dealer, hey....there's little camber adjustment in front. What's left if what they said but I'm surprised they can't readily ID the bad part[s]. Bent struts have been known to happen.

Important DIY note: All wheels must be identical height respective to others.

Not as easy as it sounds. Google for DIY alignment - flat looking areas routinely have 1/2"+ diff in elevation.

Your camber measurement invalid if wheels out o'altitude.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I had a brand new toyota 4 runner, and took it to have it aligned at the toyota place at 10k miles they had the car for 2 hours, and they said they couldnt get it to line up and swore the car had been wrecked, I took it to another toyota dealer and they had no problem, alignment systems are computers too, maybe they should have it reprogrammed! Seems thats the standard BMW response when our cars have a problem they cant fix

Hondo,
Old 01-26-2013, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Thanks all.
Once the frigid weather passes I'll have a better look myself.
May take to another shop - dealer or Indy.

If anyone knows of common problems with '011 3 series front suspensions, let me know.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:

Tips?

On how to check myself?
"Wavy highway pavements." Where do you live? If you live in the Northwest and drive on the heavily rutted I-5 for example, I think you're in a lot of company. Some parts of CA highways have been "regrooved" lately and tend to produce occasional odd "wandering." The "old" CA rain grooves (that haven't been removed yet) still produce "wandering."

I have an '11 328i and have experienced occasional wandering sensation in CA (Conti RFs), and am quite sure that it would be terrible on the I-5 in Oregon for example as I've driven it before.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
This happens to me as well. When I come across bumps and bridge gaps, I can feel the car wanting to veer off to the the side. I have to counter steer a little bit to keep the car in my lane. I thought this was weird since with my old car, I just run through everything without a hiccup.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytofu View Post
This happens to me as well. When I come across bumps and bridge gaps, I can feel the car wanting to veer off to the the side. I have to counter steer a little bit to keep the car in my lane. I thought this was weird since with my old car, I just run through everything without a hiccup.
+1
I have noticed that newer BMWs with the two piece front control arms tend to have an inherent "bump steer" effect on uneven surfaces. Kind of annoying. My E46 would roll over these things as if nothing happened. Granted the old design would chew up bushings quickly but I'm not sure the new design is perfect either.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
+1
I have noticed that newer BMWs with the two piece front control arms tend to have an inherent "bump steer" effect on uneven surfaces. Kind of annoying. My E46 would roll over these things as if nothing happened. Granted the old design would chew up bushings quickly but I'm not sure the new design is perfect either.

You mean the shield? Should have no effect. Shock curve + progressive springs + oil filled bushings will.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I think also the tire tread pattern has a significant effect, tires with overlaping tread patterns that break up that single groove might have less of a wandering problem.

Maybe?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
I think also the tire tread pattern has a significant effect, tires with overlaping tread patterns that break up that single groove might have less of a wandering problem.

Maybe?
Tire compound also contributes. My ex-E93 had sh*tty RFs and wandered until I replaced with non-RF Michelin PSs.