Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:47 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0D
2009 BMW X3 3.0 D Exhaust smell.

Hi All,

I own a 2009 BMW X3 3.0D – a great car.

After driving short distances (low revs) the car starts to produce a very heavy smell that can only be described as smelling like oil, but it’s not an oil smell – if that makes sense. The smell is definitely coming from the exhaust.
There is no smoke and it does not use any oil between oil changes (once a year). There is no unusual deposit in the exhaust.

I went to see the local BMW dealer here in Andorra and he told me that it is a smell produced by the catalytic converter. He suggested that if I ran the car at around 3000 revs for about 30 seconds the smell will go – which it does.

I am coming to the end of the extended warranty and would appreciate a second + opinion from a mechanic on this forum, as I do not want to be paying for a blown turbo out of my own pocket in a few months time!

Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Could be the DPF

yeah mate - got the same car but this issue could be your Deisel Particulate filter. If you are only driving short runs the filter gets blocked and the only way to burn the soot off is to get the exhaust up to high temp, (long run at +2000rpm.) Or BMW can force a regeneration.
the previous owner of mine only drove around town - hence the DPF was blocked and cost £1700 to replace!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM

Thanks

Thank you for your advise. I'll take it back to BMW and get it looked at.