Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 530iA
Rear Wheel Shakes!?

Alright gents, here's what's going on. The wife picks me up at work in the 01 530i and starts driving towards the gas station. I thought I heard something so I turned down the radio and heard this horrible sound coming from rear driver side wheel. We parked at the station and I got out to check out the noise. Apparently I can grab hold the wheel and shake it. There is just a bit of play in the wheel. I tried to tighten the bolts just to see if they were loose but they weren't. There was a previous noise that was more of a hum coming from the wheel. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
It sounds a lot like it may be a bad wheel bearing. Especially since it has progessively gtten worse. See if you can jack up the rear of the car and spin the wheel in question to reproduce the sound to narrow down possibilities.

Another possible culprit could be a sticking brake caliper or perhaps even something (ie. rock, pebbel, etc) geting stuck between the rotor and pads.

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i v8
Lower ball joints in the box control arms. Its very common for those to go bad.

#2 is the ball joint(+ you will need the c-clip #3). Sometimes you also will need #4 as well. Good news its a easy job and no wheel alignment is necessary afterwards.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=33&fg=30
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB c240
The only way to tell is to jack up the car and have a good look at the control arms and ball joints of that wheel.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Lower ball joints in the box control arms. Its very common for those to go bad.

#2 is the ball joint(+ you will need the c-clip #3). Sometimes you also will need #4 as well. Good news its a easy job and no wheel alignment is necessary afterwards.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=33&fg=30

I have heard of the rear wheel bearing going bad before but 9/10 its the lower ball joint.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 535i v8
I jacked up the rear wheels off the ground. I had the trans in neutral and engine off. When I grabbed the rear wheel at the 12 'O Clock and 6 'O Clock positions and pulled in and out - my rear wheels had about 15mm's of play at the bottom of the wheel.

AFTER I had the rear ball joints replaced.... (#2 in that RealOEM.com link #33326767748) The rear wheel play was gone - when I retested the wheel play.

I did not want to do the job myself. I shopped around at a few German repair shops. My tire shop wanted 380 euros to replace the ball joints (both sides) plus an 79 euro alignment. Another shop gave me a quote of 600 euros, then he came down to 350 euros w/alignment.

By chance I was at my BMW Zentrum (dealer) and asked the guys I know there about it. Even though their shop labor is 110 euros per hour vs 49 euros per hours for those two indi shops... my BMW dealer quoted me 210 euros parts and labor. PLUS they told me that an alignment wasn't necessary! AND they gave me a two year warranty good at any European BMW dealer. So... needless to say I was pleasantly surprised to use my BMW dealer.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 530iA
Well Gents, thanks for the quick reply. Turns out it was the wheel bearing...