Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
ED in Late Feb

Where to go?

Originally I looked into Lake Como but I'm finding out most places are shutdown until a week or two after I return. Wanted to go up to the Ring but they're opening a few weeks after I'm back home.

Still plan on staying in Munich for a few days but now I have to make a last minute switcheroo. Thinking about Salzburg down to N. Italy/Tuscany over to Monaco but this is my first ED and I'm not sure if there would be better places to check out.

I've checked out the wiki and done a load of research online but I feel that there is a lot of tacit knowledge that I'm missing as ED is a very special circumstance (especially winter ED).

Any suggestions? I'll be there from 2/24-3/3
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Are you going to rent winter tires and are you getting an x-drive BMW?
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Are you going to rent winter tires and are you getting an x-drive BMW?
a) yes
b) no
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 (ED on order)
Very challenging time to go, first question is if you really have to go then? If you have a mini perhaps in a lease, wouldn't they let you extend it until things warm up a bit?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurom View Post
Very challenging time to go, first question is if you really have to go then? If you have a mini perhaps in a lease, wouldn't they let you extend it until things warm up a bit?
Time is set in stone at this point. Really it was on based on travel for work and the time selected is the only comfortable time I could select in the next 2-3 months.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4m3 View Post
Time is set in stone at this point. Really it was on based on travel for work and the time selected is the only comfortable time I could select in the next 2-3 months.
What are you getting? (didn't realize that you could ED a mini) Just curious.

I understand the desire to hit Italy and 15 different cities, but especially with this being winter, I'd encourage you to pick 3-ish cities and really hit those while staying on the northern side of the Alps.

You can easily burn your week between Munich (awesome city), Füssen (castles), and Salzburg (castle + sound of music + great historic downtown + wine + schnapps). They are all within a few hours of each other direct with a great deal to do and see around it, including fantastic scenic driving.

If you are interested in Skiing the Alps, Innsbruck is in that general area.

Another easy town to hit is Dinkelsbühl, which has easy access to Rottenburg and Stuttgart.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
What are you getting? (didn't realize that you could ED a mini) Just curious.

I understand the desire to hit Italy and 15 different cities, but especially with this being winter, I'd encourage you to pick 3-ish cities and really hit those while staying on the northern side of the Alps.

You can easily burn your week between Munich (awesome city), Füssen (castles), and Salzburg (castle + sound of music + great historic downtown + wine + schnapps). They are all within a few hours of each other direct with a great deal to do and see around it, including fantastic scenic driving.

If you are interested in Skiing the Alps, Innsbruck is in that general area.

Another easy town to hit is Dinkelsbühl, which has easy access to Rottenburg and Stuttgart.
I'm actually getting a e92 M3, I have a couple MINIs in my current stable and as my daily driver.

I was thinking warmer weather of S. France/N. Italy would be appropriate but there is a butt ton I'd like to do. I have no problem driving a lot and have a co-pilot if we get into any long distance hauls.

I'm going to have tell people to do ED so I can keep tagging along to visit everywhere!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Okay, with winter tires I suggest Tuscany with a base in Artimino just outside Firenze. Spend a day or two exploring the environs and the scoot over to Nice or Juan les Pins for a few more and drop the car in Nice.

http://www.artimino.com/index.php/ar...g/sistemazioni

EDIT: Ooops, car must be returned to Munich for the winter rubber. My suggestion still stands though; save Germany and Austria for a summer trip
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 01-28-2013 at 04:30 PM.