Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Pairing iPhone for Text Messages

I have a 2013 328i with Nav & technology package & iPhone (latest iOS). My carwas recalled for "software upgrade" and I asked the dealer service rep about getting this pairing right so I could get my texts through the car. He said I would need to buy the iPhone cradle to be able to do that. I know there have been discussions here before about glitches with getting text messages & I didn't catch anything about needing the cradle. Is this true? I'm not convinced the dealer knows & expect you guys know better!
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient View Post
I have a 2013 328i with Nav & technology package & iPhone (latest iOS). My carwas recalled for "software upgrade" and I asked the dealer service rep about getting this pairing right so I could get my texts through the car. He said I would need to buy the iPhone cradle to be able to do that. I know there have been discussions here before about glitches with getting text messages & I didn't catch anything about needing the cradle. Is this true? I'm not convinced the dealer knows & expect you guys know better!
Not not true if you have the Enhanced Bluetooth with BMW Assist. Pair your phone with the car.

Then fallow BJ's steps:

1. Turn on "messages" under Telephone > Bluetooth settings in iDrive.

2. In the iPhone go to Settings > Messages and make sure notifications are on, change the number of notifications from what it's at now, choose 'alert' style, choose 'show on screen'.

3. In the iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth and click on the BMW link and make sure "show on screen" is selected.

4. The thing that finally did it for me was to connect via the white Apple USB cable and the Connected app. That allowed the iPhone and iDrive to "see" each other that first time. Since then, no issues wirelessly.

Note: The iPhone must go to sleep during your testing. You can't hit the off button and force it. Have to let it sit (set to 1 minute in Settings) until it goes full-black, then send a test text from another phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
FYI if your fast enough you can send a text to yourself. Just hit the off button immediately after you hit send. It will show up in the iDrive the same time you get a phone alert.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,