Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
I Test Drove M5

I test drove M5 yesterday. My current ride is 535i with ACS springs.

This is my mini review. This is only my opinion and not trying to offend M5 owners.

POSITIVE (From best to good)
  1. DCT is the best part of M5 over regular F10. It's very quick yet smooth. Even if you try, you cannot make it jerk. It's light years ahead of our 8AT.
  2. Suspension: M5 suspension feels very stable and solid (not floaty) compared to my ACS equipped F10. There's no body roll. The ride is actually better. I think it's due to PSS tires are much more comfortable than RFT. Come on BMW, why do you need to install RFT?
  3. Power: Although most people love the power. For me, having big power on the straight line does not mean that important for me. This is like AMG in the past. Just big power, not much excitement. Past legendary M cars were about delivering driving experience no other couldn't mimic.

NEGATIVE (from most critical to least critical)

1. The steering is dead. Even older non-M 5-series had more feel than this one. Changing the steering setting only makes it heavier. Sometimes there's fake feel coming from the steering which feels more like random vibration. I don't get why BMW messed it up when they have achieved a steering perfection in E39/E30/E36/E46 era.
  2. Weight: even with great handling, you can feel the car weight. You won't be able to feel the tossable feel that older M5 had over its competitors
  3. Interior: the one I drove doesn't have full leather. It makes the car feel the same as regular 5-series. I think BMW has oversold "M" brand with msport on all cars. Older M userd to have special interior pieces that made them special such as steering wheel, special stitching, M logos, etc.

Verdict:

If you MUST have one car, M5 is the best choice. It is very comfortable as family/business car, it is pretty excited as a "sport" car.

For $100k, I'd prefer to get 528 and used M3. Current M3 gives 9 out of 10 driving excitement. Whereas F10 M5 only give 7 out 10 driving excitement. It's hard to explain what's missing. Current F10 M5 does not give me goose bumps like when I drove older M cars (even with less power < 400 hp).
Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
hi, not offending you either how long did you test drive the M5 and on what roads? Did/do you own a E60 M5?

A reviewer with a different perspective http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...21&postcount=1

ps one more http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10...ml#post2605761

Last edited by bm323; 01-27-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post

1. The steering is dead. Even older non-M 5-series had more feel than this one. Changing the steering setting only makes it heavier. Sometimes there's fake feel coming from the steering which feels more like random vibration.
I have this sensation on my 535xi MSport. It is very subtle and not like a wheel is out of balance but it is like simulated road feel but it is a very very high frequency vibe in the steering wheel, like lane assist is barely on. I think it is just part of the drivetrain.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
I have this sensation on my 535xi MSport. It is very subtle and not like a wheel is out of balance but it is like simulated road feel but it is a very very high frequency vibe in the steering wheel, like lane assist is barely on. I think it is just part of the drivetrain.
I've felt a vibration in my steering wheel as well, though sometimes at idle. It's random enough for me to have thought it would be some weird purposeful sensation BMW engineered into it, to simulate some kind of "feel", though that wouldn't make sense as it was at idle....

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Thanks for the review

Quote:
I don't get why BMW messed it up when they have achieved a steering perfection in E39...
curious, have you driven the E39 M5? The recirculating ball setup had always been the Achilles heel on that car - Rack & Pinion would have made it 10 out of 10.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
hi, not offending you either how long did you test drive the M5 and on what roads? Did/do you own a E60 M5?

A reviewer with a different perspective http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...21&postcount=1

Man, you really cannot stand to hear anything bad about BMW can you? What does it matter if he's owned / driven an E60 M5? Is he not entitled to his opinion?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
I'm not sure how relevant other reviews are to this guys or whether he owned an older M5. Doesn't add much to the conversation and his points (particularly the steering) are things I've seen echo'd repeatedly.

OP,

Thanks for your review. Very much enjoyed reading it.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3, 2013 M5
Quote:

This is my mini review. This is only my opinion and not trying to offend M5 owners.

POSITIVE (From best to good)
  1. DCT is the best part of M5 over regular F10. It's very quick yet smooth. Even if you try, you cannot make it jerk. It's light years ahead of our 8AT.
  2. Suspension: M5 suspension feels very stable and solid (not floaty) compared to my ACS equipped F10. There's no body roll. The ride is actually better. I think it's due to PSS tires are much more comfortable than RFT. Come on BMW, why do you need to install RFT?
  3. Power: Although most people love the power. For me, having big power on the straight line does not mean that important for me. This is like AMG in the past. Just big power, not much excitement. Past legendary M cars were about delivering driving experience no other couldn't mimic.

NEGATIVE (from most critical to least critical)

1. The steering is dead. Even older non-M 5-series had more feel than this one. Changing the steering setting only makes it heavier. Sometimes there's fake feel coming from the steering which feels more like random vibration. I don't get why BMW messed it up when they have achieved a steering perfection in E39/E30/E36/E46 era.
  2. Weight: even with great handling, you can feel the car weight. You won't be able to feel the tossable feel that older M5 had over its competitors
  3. Interior: the one I drove doesn't have full leather. It makes the car feel the same as regular 5-series. I think BMW has oversold "M" brand with msport on all cars. Older M userd to have special interior pieces that made them special such as steering wheel, special stitching, M logos, etc.

Verdict:

If you MUST have one car, M5 is the best choice. It is very comfortable as family/business car, it is pretty excited as a "sport" car.

For $100k, I'd prefer to get 528 and used M3. Current M3 gives 9 out of 10 driving excitement. Whereas F10 M5 only give 7 out 10 driving excitement. It's hard to explain what's missing. Current F10 M5 does not give me goose bumps like when I drove older M cars (even with less power < 400 hp).
I somewhat agree with your assessment. Putting the Engine and Transmission aside, this is what 550I M-Sport should feel like, not an M5. I was thinking about getting an M5 but I may go with an M3, and buy a SUV as our second car.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I'm not trying to approve or disapprove anything. I already read all the reviews a long time ago.

I'm just giving my two cents.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Thanks for the review. Some guys love the M5 and some guys don't, unfortunately many of the guys who love the car just won't accept that others don't love it. It's hilarious that they challenge how long the test drive was after they dismiss other cars after short test drives. Either it clicks or it doesn't.

Personally, after a disappointing test drive of the M6, I told the CA not to brother with getting the M5 ready.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
Thanks for the review

curious, have you driven the E39 M5? The recirculating ball setup had always been the Achilles heel on that car - Rack & Pinion would have made it 10 out of 10.
I already drove non-M E39, E46 M3, E60 M5, E92 M3. Among all of these I like E46 M3 steering feel the best. However, it is too heavy for parking sometimes.

A lot of my friends said E36 M3 has better steering than all. But, I never tried it myself.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I've felt a vibration in my steering wheel as well, though sometimes at idle. It's random enough for me to have thought it would be some weird purposeful sensation BMW engineered into it, to simulate some kind of "feel", though that wouldn't make sense as it was at idle....
It's amazing what BMW would have us think.... or hope we think.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Thanks for the review. Some guys love the M5 and some guys don't, unfortunately many of the guys who love the car just won't accept that others don't love it. It's hilarious that they challenge how long the test drive was after they dismiss other cars after short test drives. Either it clicks or it doesn't.

Personally, after a disappointing test drive of the M6, I told the CA not to brother with getting the M5 ready.
With your Dinan-BBS-PSS-tuned 550i beast, I can imagine you will not be impressed with M5/M6 at all.

Last edited by bodonx; 01-28-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Sounds like our preferences and how we experience cars are very similar. My verdict after a test drive is close although mine is slightly harsher, likely due to showing up and leaving in an M3. And if you don't need the extra space there is imo no need for two cars if you buy an M3, it's not an uncomfortable car.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
I know what you mean about goose bumps. My previous car was a CL600 and when you took of, or took corners really fast my foot would shake and I would get goose bumps. I havent had this feeling in my 550. Having said that, I do like the 550i but the excitement isnt the same
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:

why not just get an m3+ ESS VT2-650
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Your impressions (which I share for the most part) were one of the main reasons I went for a 550i M-Sport with Dinan S2 and some 20" HRE P40SCs. There is a Blue F10 M5 in our parking structure at work and it looks great, but I am not interested in switching--especially for the extra $30k+. The M5 is too heavy and not sporty enough. The fact that at least one (2?) comparo has picked the E63 over the F10 M5 was also not a good sign.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth8 View Post
Your impressions (which I share for the most part) were one of the main reasons I went for a 550i M-Sport with Dinan S2 and some 20" HRE P40SCs. There is a Blue F10 M5 in our parking structure at work and it looks great, but I am not interested in switching--especially for the extra $30k+. The M5 is too heavy and not sporty enough. The fact that at least one (2?) comparo has picked the E63 over the F10 M5 was also not a good sign.
I havent gotten the Dinan Stage 2 on my 550... yet. Should go ahead and do it? My biggest set back is the fuel consumption. I just got rid of a V12 and the gas difference is huge
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
why not just get an m3+ ESS VT2-650
Hehhehe

M5 has way more than enough power. If it were up to me, I would be gladly trade 100hp less with better steering or 400 lbs weight reduction.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth8 View Post
If you switch your exhaust with M5 full exhaust (like in other thread), you will get the same experience as M5 and save $25k
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Man, you really cannot stand to hear anything bad about BMW can you? What does it matter if he's owned / driven an E60 M5? Is he not entitled to his opinion?
sure it matters, he's comparing with the E60 M5 (amongst others) was he not?? And of course, he's entitled to his opinion ... you mean you are regulating and one is not entitled to query the basis of his opinion??
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
There is no vibration when mine is at idle and the "vibration" varies with the road
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post

One forummer mentioned that the shop would only permit him to test drive a M5 going around the block ... and if I recall correctly, your test drive of the M6 was disappointing for very different reasons
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
If you switch your exhaust with M5 full exhaust (like in other thread), you will get the same experience as M5 and save $25k
Brilliant post, presumably you have the PSS, and your 535i handles like the M5

Quote:
[*]DCT is the best part of M5 over regular F10. It's very quick yet smooth. Even if you try, you cannot make it jerk. It's light years ahead of our 8AT.[*]Suspension: M5 suspension feels very stable and solid (not floaty) compared to my ACS equipped F10. There's no body roll. The ride is actually better. I think it's due to PSS tires are much more comfortable than RFT. Come on BMW, why do you need to install RFT?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
sure it matters, he's comparing with the E60 M5 (amongst others) was he not?? And of course, he's entitled to his opinion ... you mean you are regulating and one is not entitled to query the basis of his opinion??
No, simply that pretty much any time someone posts a negative review of the F10, you pretty much tell them they're an idiot.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but that's the way you come across. You certainly don't give the impression of respecting other's opinions when they're negative.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians