Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
"New" 1995 740i

Just bought a 95 740i to introduce my Wife to BMW. Got it real 'cheap' since the check engine light and the battery light are on and have been for about a year. PO is running Mobil 1 and has since he owned it (abour eight years). It is immaculate inside and out. The battery reads 12.4 volts with engine off and about 13.7 with it running and no change when swithing the headlights on. POs mechanic said he thinks that it is low output from alternator causing the battery light to stay on????? He also said the check engine light is probably same issue. He decided to sell it since it was his wife's and she has decided to get a new one and he couldn't get it smogged due to the check engine light. If she is getting a new one anyway, he would not put any money into it and sell 'as is'.
The driver side seat doesn't adjust (though the lumbar adjust works fine. The power steering column quit working at the same time (about three months ago). Once again his mechanic said it is probably a common problem as they are both tied to the memory???
I am still excited about the acquisition but hope for a little guidance from someone who knows these. (I have learned a lot from my 1995 325i covertible and 1995 325i four door,
but his is a different critter. Thanks for baring with my long-winded thread.
Advertisement