Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d loaded
Water and electronics dont mix... You might get it running now, but over time rust will spread within electrical components and start causing issues all over the place (with a possibility of electrical fire!). So theoretically yes it is possible, practically you need to replace every single electrical component, including insulated ones.

Take it from a person who was involved (directly and indirectly) in post-Sandy recovery efforts...
Previous : 2010 335xi Monaco Blue/Black with just about every option...
Previous : 2008 X5 4.8i Space Gray/Black with just about every option...
Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. Most of us don't change our own oil. Hell, I don't know a single BMW owner that changes their own oil and I know a ton of BMW owners. Who changes their own oil nowadays? It's not even worth doing anything like that. Whoever can afford an X5 does not change their own oil.

You're telling an amateur (the OP) who has zero experience with BMW to revive a flooded BMW X5 with a ton of electrical components that sometimes even BMW dealers themselves have problems figuring them out? Why give the OP any hope? He's not asking how to change a bulb. I am telling you my X5 was flooded during Sandy and had similar symptoms as OP's car, so just out of curiosity I asked a few local shops if the car can be fixed and they all laughed at me and said they would not pay $50 for it, and they fix cars for a living.
You sir are an idiot...

I'd enlighten you as to why I do all my own maintenance and repair (out of warranty), its not because I can't afford to pay for it that's for sure, but you are not worth my time.

Kindly remove yourself from this and any other enthusiast thread.

Jay

Last edited by jashearer; 01-28-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Looks like most are missing the point, from his comments sound like this is his thing. Everyone has their "thing" so this maybe therapeutic for him or has nothing else to do with his time etc, etc....money was meant to be spend and if this is his crack well..go it for it man! GL put pics up when you get a chance. Subscribed!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
I change my oil even when its covered under 4 year warranty because I know what most of them do.
If I have to take a mercedes for oil change, fill out all paperwork, sit or take a loaner and politely refuse brake pad change, etc, I can do it in 5 minutes with mityvac without even taking my tie off.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Back to topic! Whats the best way to determine whether a particular module is shot or not. Best way to check power going in and power going out? I have ordered INPA/Ediabas K+D-CAN USB Interface OBD2 cable for future use.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
You sir are an idiot...

I'd enlighten you as to why I do all my own maintenance and repair (out of warranty), its not because I can't afford to pay for it that's for sure, but you are not worth my time.

Kindly remove yourself from this and any other enthusiast thread.

Jay
Tsk tsk tsk. Relax man. Did I hurt your feelings? What are you, 15? You certainly sound like one.

I am actually quite interested to see what the OP will achieve. So I will stick around. Subscribed!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
Tsk tsk tsk. Relax man. Did I hurt your feelings? What are you, 15? I certainly am, considering I post random thoughts that make no sense then try to be an Internet tough guy.
Yup, still not worth my time. Fixed it for you though.

OP a good multi meter will be your best friend, you'll need to measure voltage and resistance, of course your going to need to figure out what those readings should be. My set of C5 service manuals gave commanded voltage as well as resistance values for sensors, which helped in diagnosing failed electronics.

Does BMW print their service manuals for their techs?

Jay
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 PM

Tribecax5 he is at least contributing to this thread. I read all your posts, they sure don't reflect much age related maturity except repeating same thing over and over. Stick around and keep doing it. If I fail you can stand on tallest building in town and scream "see I told you guys". World is full of such individuals. Some people don't do crazy things some do provided its crazy enough!!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
And to sum up this thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
@ katanaplanet - good for you and the best of luck on your project. BTW, I change my own oil in between their oil changes too....unless someone is following their UOA very closely, they are potentially making a BIG mistake running their oil out as long as BMW allows.

@ tribecaX5 - I was going to say something about NOT changing your own oil along with the rest of your "crowd" that don't but I see you're from NY so anything anybody tries to tell you is not going to sink in. For you, I say you need a very large cup of STFU. It's like the old saying goes....anybody can fix cars, but nobody can fix stupid....you proved this point with your immature replies. People like you make me sick and it's people like you that give forums a bad reputation. I find it interesting that at 114 posts, you have an opinion that you think actually matters. You should keep your "random thoughts" to yourself.....better yet, sell your X and join the Maxima crowd....you ain't worthy of a BMW!

Oh yeah, offer several others a sip from your cup....alexmish, gresch, and anyone else on the naysayer train....it's HIS project and if you don't have any words of encouragement for him, then......um, you know what I was going to say!

Back off so I can get back down from my rant box!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetman View Post
@ tribecax5... I say you need a very large cup of stfu.
+1
Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
fleet -- Hey, lighten up on the "Maxima crowd" -- if you have driven a new one those are impressive machines! Maybe the "Rio crowd" might be more appropriate.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Sounds like a fun project for somebody who's into that sort of thing. Keep us posted on the progress!

BTW, I'm kind of surprised it cost 15k. I would've thought much cheaper, but then you could probably part it out for that much I suppose.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
you are correct UncleJ and I apologize for that remark and the remark about New Yorkers....there's only a few that I have a problem with....the rest are great!

C'mon back tribecaX5....let's hear some more.

As a wise man once said; "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it". That said, let's have some proof tribby!

@ katanaplanet - you go guy....keep us posted and you DO have supporters in here!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Sounds like a fun project for somebody who's into that sort of thing. Keep us posted on the progress!

BTW, I'm kind of surprised it cost 15k. I would've thought much cheaper, but then you could probably part it out for that much I suppose.
I think that's the point. If the project doesn't prove fruitful, he's got a boat load of parts that he can sell on eBay to recover his costs from. He'll also have learned quite a bit of the involved work on restoring a flooded car. The exterior and engine was in good shape so there's a lot of pretty pricey exterior parts that a shop can use.

And a doctor working on cars is a cool thing. I have an Audi as well and a cardiac surgeon enthusiast in our local group does his own work (aftermarket parts install, oil changes, minor engine work) just because it's relaxing.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmish View Post
Water and electronics dont mix... You might get it running now, but over time rust will spread within electrical components and start causing issues all over the place (with a possibility of electrical fire!). So theoretically yes it is possible, practically you need to replace every single electrical component, including insulated ones.

Take it from a person who was involved (directly and indirectly) in post-Sandy recovery efforts...
This....

Once water touches any electrical component it is toast.. corrosion sets in..
Unless all electrical components are completely replaced. You will only temporarily have it working if successful.

Good luck again!
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
This....

Once water touches any electrical component it is toast.. corrosion sets in..
Unless all electrical components are completely replaced. You will only temporarily have it working if successful.

Good luck again!
Yes it's true, but you would not believe that there some nice fluids exist which remove rust etc. it will not necessary kill it.
I restored 70% modules in e65 and it still runs.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Anything is possible, as I have mentioned in the other thread you had originally posted. INPA is a hit & miss situation. Since these are systems that rely on continuity of the system architecture, INPA may indicate which modules are working and which are not. However I feel like you`ll be left with the INPA either indicating alot of faulty modules (regardless of whether they are actually done for or not) since there gonna be a communications breakdown.

Whats the status, on acquiring some BMW terminal time for the X5?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gresch View Post
And to sum up this thread

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Was this freshwater or saltwater? If the latter I don't think it will ever be right. If just freshwater it might.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
looong time noooo seeeee folks!

Didn't have time to read through all the BS, I just read the OP's post and jumped straight to here:

A brand spanking new 2013 model got flooded and you are trying to salvage it yourself... hmmm, what happened to insurance?

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Was this freshwater or saltwater? If the latter I don't think it will ever be right. If just freshwater it might.
I think it was salt...I looked at the auction site where it was listed.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Fresh water is never fresh btw, but definitely better than real salty ocean water!!
The problem is that if 12v is present, you get electrolysis very quick;( but I was still able to resurrect lots of modules!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Fresh water is never fresh btw, but definitely better than real salty ocean water!!
The problem is that if 12v is present, you get electrolysis very quick;( but I was still able to resurrect lots of modules!

I didn't ask if it was potable. Only if was salty or not.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
looong time noooo seeeee folks!

Didn't have time to read through all the BS, I just read the OP's post and jumped straight to here:

A brand spanking new 2013 model got flooded and you are trying to salvage it yourself... hmmm, what happened to insurance?

Welcome back.

BMWNA or the dealer had insurance.

Car got flooded, saltwater, in the lot- prior to new vehicle prep (car still had shipping wrap)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Here: http://www.qcsadirect.com/Inventory....446db11439f695

"Primary damage: WATER- SALT"

insurance totaled the car, paid the total claim

Insurance then took the car, branded the title, sold it at auction

OP brought it at auction.

Last edited by ard; 01-29-2013 at 04:52 PM.