Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
I blame Top Gear. Now every car show or segment feels it has to be "funny" whatever that means. The 2nd guy wasn't actually that bad; if he lost his hillbilly sidekick it wouldn't have been a bad segment.
Exactly.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
I have a two part response to this video:

1) I agree with the consensus; these two clowns look like they should be driving Camaros and Mustangs and drinking Bud Light while having one hand down their pants, Al Bundy-style. Even if they are qualified to evaluate a luxury sedan, nobody's going to take them seriously because of the way they present themselves.

2) Subjective things aside, it's obvious that Audi put in a ton of effort to crush the 5-series with the C7. In almost every empirical measurement, the A6 wins, whereas before Audi would put out a car that was 0.8 seconds slower on the 0-60 run, or a few hundredths lower on the skidpad and they didn't give a rat's ass. The C7 is notably different in this regard, and for that Audi deserves a tip of the hat for upping the ante.

Meanwhile, with the F10, BMW did a cursory cosmetic update and added a few features they copied from the 7. The F10 is by no means a bad car (I have one ), but I'm sorry, you have to give Audi the gold metal here when it comes to improving their mid-size sedan over the previous model. BMW just kind of rested on its laurels and didn't really produce a game-changer this time around.
Funny you say this I think both Audi and BMW kind of rested on there laurels. Audi interior is great but no longer way ahead of BMW on this and some even say the 5er has a better interior. While Audi rested on their laurels on the interior of the C7 BMW rested on their laurels on the handling front of the F10. BMW E60 was way out in front of the C6 Audi but the new C7, Audi has beaten BMW in this department like it or not. So IMO both have rested on their laurels. It's almost like BMW and Audi trading places. It used to be on BMW forums all you hear would be handling/performance and on Audi forums you hear all round car with amazing interiors but it is reversed now with BMW forums talking about interiors and all round car and on Audi forums all you read about is performance/handling. Pretty nuts.
MB board still read who just passed away. LOL just kidding.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 10-13-2011, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrandfanboy View Post
Funny you say this I think both Audi and BMW kind of rested on there laurels. Audi interior is great but no longer way ahead of BMW on this and some even say the 5er has a better interior. While Audi rested on their laurels on the interior of the C7 BMW rested on their laurels on the handling front of the F10. BMW E60 was way out in front of the C6 Audi but the new C7, Audi has beaten BMW in this department like it or not. So IMO both have rested on their laurels. It's almost like BMW and Audi trading places. It used to be on BMW forums all you hear would be handling/performance and on Audi forums you hear all round car with amazing interiors but it is reversed now with BMW forums talking about interiors and all round car and on Audi forums all you read about is performance/handling. Pretty nuts.
MB board still read who just passed away. LOL just kidding.
Come on Audibrandfanboy, the A6's steering is still light years behind the F10

Esteemed senior editor Jonny Lieberman summed up his thoughts after his drive of the new A6 earlier this year: "Like the A4 and the A8, the adaptive [Servotronic] steering is the A6's weakest link. Overboosted and sloppy in Comfort mode; artificially heavy, uncommunicative and just plain sketchy in Dynamic mode; and God knows what you're going to get in Auto mode (overboosted and uncommunicative?)"

Associate editor and resident European car wonk Mike Febbo said this after a few days behind the wheel of the A6 tester: "The A6 steering is like a band with a musician missing. There is a layer of vibration that comes through the wheel that feels like road surface, then there is the resistance from turning the wheel, and you can feel resistance load-up from scrub radius/caster trail. But there is a layer missing. The road feel doesn't seem to change with big steering movements; you don't feel what the contact patch is really doing. There are two distinct feelings coming from the wheel, but they seem unrelated. There's drums and guitar, but the bassist just isn't tying it all together."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1adv7j0EB

And by the way, your S4's also way way behind the E90's

Last edited by bm323; 10-13-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsell View Post
Somewhere a village is missing two idiots...
I agree the test is very unscientific but the outcome has been repeated on several times by some very well respected journalists. So whilst they may well be villiage idiots they are at least in good company.

Anyway who cares what someone else thinks about your car or one you might be considering because the end decision rest firmly on your shoulders and it's that what's ultimately important, anyhow they are both great cars that anyone would and could enjoy owning over an extended period and never regret that decision.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post

Esteemed senior editor Jonny Lieberman summed up his thoughts after his drive of the new A6 earlier this year: "Like the A4 and the A8, the adaptive [Servotronic] steering is the A6's weakest link. Overboosted and sloppy in Comfort mode; artificially heavy, uncommunicative and just plain sketchy in Dynamic mode; and God knows what you're going to get in Auto mode (overboosted and uncommunicative?)"

Associate editor and resident European car wonk Mike Febbo said this after a few days behind the wheel of the A6 tester: "The A6 steering is like a band with a musician missing. There is a layer of vibration that comes through the wheel that feels like road surface, then there is the resistance from turning the wheel, and you can feel resistance load-up from scrub radius/caster trail. But there is a layer missing. The road feel doesn't seem to change with big steering movements; you don't feel what the contact patch is really doing. There are two distinct feelings coming from the wheel, but they seem unrelated. There's drums and guitar, but the bassist just isn't tying it all together."

Here is another Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson lover.
If you can read you should read whole articles comparing the 5er vs A6 on performance and not pick sentences out of the whole story BMWa$$boy.
LOL you have to compare my steering to the e90's and not your slow moving 535d. Either way my car still moves faster than the e90 and your 535d.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima

Last edited by Nobrandfanboy; 10-13-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A6 TDI
I'm a little surprised to hear they feel the steering on the S4 to be inferior to the E90 because I found it quite lovely with a quick rack. The A6 feels surprisingly similar for a car that's actually bigger but alas it's rack hasn't got as quick a rack.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Well they had worse things to say about the handling of the 5 series.

"Subjective driving feel bears this out. The 550i is quiet and smooth at quickly reached highway speeds, then feels too big and heavy to negotiate canyon roads with tight, fun corners. And while the turbo V-8 is strong and makes the right kinds of noises, its power delivery isn't as linear as BMW's naturally aspirated engines."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1ahAsMdh9
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrandfanboy View Post
Well they had worse things to say about the handling of the 5 series.

"Subjective driving feel bears this out. The 550i is quiet and smooth at quickly reached highway speeds, then feels too big and heavy to negotiate canyon roads with tight, fun corners. And while the turbo V-8 is strong and makes the right kinds of noises, its power delivery isn't as linear as BMW's naturally aspirated engines."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1ahAsMdh9
Here, Audibrandfanboy

The new 5 (which goes on sale in 535i and 550i flavors in June, with the 528i coming later), at least when fitted with EPS and optional Active Steering, and practically every other chassis trick in the book as our test car was, is far more rewarding to drive on a twisty coastal road than its predecessor. ...

Out on the narrow, hilly, and twisty roads northwest of Lisbon, Portugal, the 535i's dynamics hark to the E39s in some respects. The grit and grip at the road can be sensed at the Active Steered helm once again, only now you virtually never have to cross your arms or go hand-over-hand in the hairpins.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1aigiHyqS

ps dot your is

Last edited by bm323; 10-13-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBigMan View Post
I agree the test is very unscientific but the outcome has been repeated on several times by some very well respected journalists. So whilst they may well be villiage idiots they are at least in good company.

Anyway who cares what someone else thinks about your car or one you might be considering because the end decision rest firmly on your shoulders and it's that what's ultimately important, anyhow they are both great cars that anyone would and could enjoy owning over an extended period and never regret that decision.
Try not to be consolatory.

And if so, why remain on this board with your A6, persistently "pouring cold water".

Last edited by bm323; 10-13-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Here, Audibrandfanboy

The new 5 (which goes on sale in 535i and 550i flavors in June, with the 528i coming later), at least when fitted with EPS and optional Active Steering, and practically every other chassis trick in the book as our test car was, is far more rewarding to drive on a twisty coastal road than its predecessor. ...

Out on the narrow, hilly, and twisty roads northwest of Lisbon, Portugal, the 535i's dynamics hark to the E39s in some respects. The grit and grip at the road can be sensed at the Active Steered helm once again, only now you virtually never have to cross your arms or go hand-over-hand in the hairpins.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1aigiHyqS

ps dot your is
You can say whatever you want but the numbers don't lie. Your article says it has great handling then motortrend does the review on the 550i and has a totally different opinion on the same chassis.
Like someone already has indicated on this thread who owns a BMW 5er that the A6 is a great performing car with numbers to prove it while you want to just say that the 5er has better steering but has no numbers to prove that it can handle better than the A6.
Anyways what do you need handling for? You drive a diesel in Singapore. As good as the diesel engine is it still is way slower than the petrol engines and you live in Singapore with lots of traffic.

Singapore Traffic
In Singapore, you will drive on the left-hand side of the road, like the English system. For people who are used to driving on the right-hand side of the road: don't worry. You will be surprised how easy you adapt to left-hand traffic and right-seat driving. It takes less than 5 minutes to get used to switching gears with your left hand, however the only thing you will continue to do wrong for at least 2 weeks, is switching on the windscreen wipers when you mean to switch on the indicators. Don't worry, you won't get fined for that.

Driving in Singapore

Much debate has been taking place by expatriates about the 'quality' of Singaporean traffic. It is probably safe to say that if you come from a 'western' country, you will find Singaporean traffic mildly frustrating. Singaporeans are generally quite insecure and highly defensive drivers. You will find traffic moves slow, cars don't pull up quickly at traffic lights or when merging into a highway. For some reason unknown to us, there is something very appealing about the fast lane, which is why most drivers will stick to this lane as if their life depended on it, even though they might only drive 60 km/h and are not overtaking anyone. At the same time, don't be surprised if you see someone taking 10 minutes to back their car into a parking spot while at the same time blocking the flow of traffic on the road. Indicators are virtually never used in Singapore, especially by drivers of a Mercedes Benz (must be some sort of unwritten code).

Kiasu-ism

Another frustrating thing about the Singaporean way of driving is the so-called 'Kiasu-ism' displayed by many drivers. Kiasu means 'afraid to loose' and translates itself on the road into a complete lack of courtesy. The average Singaporean driver would rather total his BMW than grant you some space if you want to merge into a highway, or simply switch lanes on the roads. There is a virtual neon flashing 'Me First!' sign on practically every car. It's a bit of a shame this mentality is nowhere to be found when it comes to operating the accelerator paddle. The trick to overcome this is by developing a fair share of kiasu-ism yourself.

http://singapore.xpatxperience.com/v..._traffic.shtml
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013audi a6(c7), 2010 E60
Angry

Chek these reviews as well: a6/535/e300

Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM

Cool

even edmunds.com has compared 535 and a6 quotes the following

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a6/2012/...ison-test.html

"Yet, the 5 Series is the car that made the midsize luxury sedan class cool, and BMW executives seem to have lost sight of that. There's nothing terrible about this softer, more luxurious 2011 535i, but it doesn't match its predecessor's braking and handling numbers, and more critically, it just isn't as fun to toss around anymore.

The Audi A6 has never been a player in this class the 5 Series usually outsells it 4 to 1. But great things happen when an automaker has nothing to lose and this A6 feels like a winner.

This 2012 Audi A6 puts a smile on your face when you steer into a corner. And it puts one there again when you floor the throttle at the exit. This all-wheel-drive sedan is arguably a more entertaining car to drive than any of its rear-drive rivals. Sport sedan or not, the Audi A6 is now the car of choice in this category."
Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
So glad you joined this site to dig up a 2 year old thread bashing the F10 and praising the A6. Great job! So proud!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: German
That bm323 child is gonna have a field day with this one
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
So glad you joined this site to dig up a 2 year old thread bashing the F10 and praising the A6. Great job! So proud!
My 550 is waiting on the docks at Bremerhaven. Is it too late for me to cancel my order and buy an A6 instead? I'm now worried my 550 will be a complete piece of garbage.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
The 550 is a great car, there are not many comparisons for the 550 vs A6. One post said that the knobs felt cheap in the 5 series. My knobs dont feel cheap or plastic at all, they are ceramic and they shine. There hasnt been one person who sat in my car and complained, and I have had a lot of people look at it.

I think that most of the people on these forums must be penny pinchers and purchase a stripped down base model version of the 5 series. If I did that, yea I would not be happy in it either. But with the M package, Bang and Olufen, Ceramic knobs, carbon fiber extras, shadow line trim, and more the car is really great
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Give him a break, the kid just bought his first luxury car and wants everybody to know what a great car he bought
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
My fellow troll, have you forgotten the A6 (like the S7) has the usual Audi steering

"But as much fun as the S7 is, Scott and I couldn't get past the sadly typical bad Audi steering feel. Comfort mode is lacking and Dynamic is overboosted -- there's no sweet spot. Ron described it as "numb but precise." Fair enough. But the mid-corner understeer can best be described as middling. But in this company, and especially at this price, it's unacceptable."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2JKmIcvHg
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
My fellow troll, have you forgotten the A6 (like the S7) has the usual Audi steering

"But as much fun as the S7 is, Scott and I couldn't get past the sadly typical bad Audi steering feel. Comfort mode is lacking and Dynamic is overboosted -- there's no sweet spot. Ron described it as "numb but precise." Fair enough. But the mid-corner understeer can best be described as middling. But in this company, and especially at this price, it's unacceptable."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2JKmIcvHg
Did you bring your pom poms?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Did you bring your pom poms?
steering wheels that feel like pom poms?

ps btw, nothing new, I mentioned this a long long time ago. Are you not aware of the steering?

Last edited by bm323; 01-28-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Quote:
OMG! Did I make the wrong choice then? All this pleasure must just be made up craziness in my head!
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 AM

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a6/2013/#fullreview:

In years past, buying a midsize luxury sedan typically came down to what you desired more: luxury or sport. Other than BMW, no automaker seemed to be able to truly provide harmonious levels of both. But with its 2013 A6, Audi has shown that it's finally got the secret recipe as well. And in some ways, it's even better than BMW's.

Last year, Audi subtly redesigned the A6. On the outside, the A6 gained the large trapezoidal grille and more angular headlights found on the latest A7 and A8 models. Outer dimensions shrunk slightly, but interior space grew, thanks in large part to a longer wheelbase. Yet Audi trimmed the car's overall weight with increased aluminum construction, helping the A6 feel lighter behind the wheel.

This year, the 2013 Audi A6 continues its charge by piling on even more new features. Most notably, the addition of an all-wheel-drive option for the A6's base 2.0T model effectively eliminated one of our chief complaints from the 2012 model. Also new is a fuel-saving start/stop engine function for the 3.0T and a top-view camera system with front and rear side cameras to peek around corners.

All the bells and whistles from last year are here as well. Features like a head-up display, an adaptive suspension, night vision with pedestrian detection and mobile Internet all keep the A6 on the cutting edge of technology. Besides all of this high-tech wizardry, the A6 also maintains Audi's reputation for high-quality interiors and a refined ride quality.

Taking all of this into account, it's easy to see why the A6 is a front-runner in the midsize luxury sedan game. Notably, the Audi knocked the venerable BMW 5 Series from its "Ultimate Driving Machine" perch when we pitted the two in a comparison test; it's simply the more engaging car to drive.:

The new Lexus GS is also pretty sporty, though perhaps not quite as dialed in as the A6. Of course, the stately Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Jaguar XF are also worthy of consideration, as both are biased more toward luxury rather than driver fulfillment.

Deciding among any of these fine choices won't yield any losers. It will simply come down to what you value as a driver. That said, you'd be remiss not to check out the 2013 Audi A6, regardless of your preferences.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i xDrive M Sport
Quote:
He did the same here:
http://forums.5series.net/f10-discus...114876/page23/
Typical troll.

2014 550i xDrive, M Sport, Carbon Black, Mocha Nappa Leather/Anthracite, DHP, Executive Pkg , CWP, Lighting, Luxury seating, Side and Top View camera, Sunshades (11/2013 build)

--------------------
2015 X5 xDrive50i (wife)
2012 X5 xDrive50i (retired)
2011 550i xDrive M Sport (retired)
2008 X5 4.8 (retired)
2008 550i M Sport (retired)
2005 545i (retired)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingolstud View Post
That said, you'd be remiss not to check out the 2013 Audi A6, regardless of your preferences.
Guess what, I dont need to check out the C7 A6, I owned one before I traded in for my F10.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Yes!,lets all join in...
I lack in my language by being not native and a long way from all you overthere.
But this distance gives just a slightly different perspective.

I wonder why are it never Mercedes lovers that bash the car that is the topic of this forum on this forum?
Could it be Audi pays the salesman with the best F10 bashing of the month a nice premium?
All this stupid remarks by non owners just putting up some remarks ending in praising the fourringers.
It is quite tiresome..

So, no vibrance, nothing bad to report, besides being at 80k kms and having to change the brakepads for the first time in a couple of months.
Anybody know how much the Audi is better at that?