Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
[Resolved] I need some legal advice

Hello my fellow bimmerfesters.
I am in need for a legal advice, specifically my course of action in filing a small clams court lawsuit.
Here is what happened.
My car is a lease (36 month term started in October 2011), on January 5th 2013 my car was involved in a car accident and 100% fault has been assigned to another party.
My car is still in the shop being repaired, and by the time I might get my car back I would be out of it for more than a month.
My understanding of lease vs finance situation is that the lease is a rent as opposed to the financing (ownership). Now I am trying to get another company to reimburse me for the lease payment I incurred for the month my car is at the shop being repaired and not used by me. And it does not look like we are on the same page - so am I being unreasonable to request being reimbursed for my lease payment for the month my car is in the shop because it wasn't my fault?
Should I file the lawsuit against the other insurance company or their insured?
Thank you,

Last edited by lqaddict; 02-02-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Let me ask you if the insurance company provided a rental car while yours is being repaired.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
are they paying for a rental car for you?
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
If the rental company is providing you with a car then IMO they shouldn't have to pay for your lease.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Let me ask you if the insurance company provided a rental car while yours is being repaired.
My insurance provides the coverage ($30/day up to $900 limit per incident), and I incurred out of packet on that as well - the other insurance company will reimburse my insurance company and me if the rental is of the same class as my car - I am told Toyota Corolla is in my class, I am trying not to laugh.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
If the rental company is providing you with a car then IMO they shouldn't have to pay for your lease.
If I leased a beat up Corolla I'd agree
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
My insurance provides the coverage ($30/day up to $900 limit per incident), and I incurred out of packet on that as well - the other insurance company will reimburse my insurance company and me if the rental is of the same class as my car - I am told Toyota Corolla is in my class, I am trying not to laugh.
Quote:
If I leased a beat up Corolla I'd agree

i do not believe you have any legal grounds to sue for the lease payment-- they have to make you whole, in this circumstance, by providing transportation (the rental car). i do not believe NYS insurance regs require them to provide you with a same caliber rental, just same class (compact, a 3 and a corolla are the same size class).
it sucks, but IMHO, you have no grounds for a lawsuit to recover your lease payments. you had payments before the accident, that continues.

you can try arguing with your insurance company to put you into a better car, which they'll subrogate over to the other ins company, but thats pretty much the limit of what you can do
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
You are fighting a losing battle. Don't make your life more complicated than it has to be. The at fault party's insurance company should provide you with a rental car for the entire time it takes for your car to be repaired.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You are fighting a losing battle. Don't make your life more complicated than it has to be. The at fault party's insurance company should provide you with a rental car for the entire time it takes for your car to be repaired.
Thanks guys.
I see that Enterprise has an Infiniti G37x as a rental option - so I will get into that I guess - last time I tried the car they offered had all 4 tires as bold as slicks.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Thanks guys.
I see that Enterprise has an Infiniti G37x as a rental option - so I will get into that I guess - last time I tried the car they offered had all 4 tires as bold as slicks.
That's standard with these cars. That is where the "x" comes in. It's eXciting to drive on four slicks on everyday roads. Get with the program!

(Sorry to hear your car is taking so long to fix. Rentals sure ain't no fun. When my car had clutch issues some time back, they got me in the shop really quickly but could not provide a BMW loaner. I had a Ford Focus for a week. Boy, spending a month in one of these types of cars when you know your much better car is at the shop sure is a pain! Good luck with the ongoing repairs!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
That's standard with these cars. That is where the "x" comes in. It's eXciting to drive on four slicks on everyday roads. Get with the program!

(Sorry to hear your car is taking so long to fix. Rentals sure ain't no fun. When my car had clutch issues some time back, they got me in the shop really quickly but could not provide a BMW loaner. I had a Ford Focus for a week. Boy, spending a month in one of these types of cars when you know your much better car is at the shop sure is a pain! Good luck with the ongoing repairs!)
Man, I had the focus first, and it broke the second day I had it, changed to a Charger - what a barge POS. The Charger affair was over in a day, went back to Enterprise, they had the Infiniti on the lot, and I was told:
"we just changed the tires on it, so you might get a low tire pressure light just ignore it it will go away", I just went outside, looked at the shinny (they did go through a trouble shining those slicks up), stuck a penny, it barely covered "We" above the Lincoln head, went back to the office and handed the penny off to the Enterprise guy and told him he can keep the penny too. After that, they put me into a Mazda 6.
I'd tell you in the tight steering department it was the closest to the Bimmer, too bad they changed oil in it and forgot to put the cap back on, so the burning oil smell prompted me to return that, and get the Corolla
/rant
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Wow! I've always rented from Avis and from the sound of this, I think I'll keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Wow! I've always rented from Avis and from the sound of this, I think I'll keep it that way.
Whenever I needed a car I always went with Hertz, but apparently I can only use Enterprise for the insurance purposes.
All I want is my car back, it will be great if it drives straight as it did before the accident - I have low expectations though :sigh: Well enough with the bickering, I will keep you all updated.
Thanks for the advice so far!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:

Don't forget - a Toyota is a rebadged Lexus.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
You know, considering the static I took from Boris about my post-rear-ending rental Taurus during CTC4, I'm desperately trying to suppress an occurrence of schadenfreude while reading this.

Remember, this too will pass!

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 01-29-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
You know, considering the static I took from Boris about my post-rear-ending rental Taurus during CTC4, I'm desperately trying to suppress an occurrence of schadenfreude while reading this.
Thanks Zooks! Karma is a b!tch after all
P.S.: I hope I will have my Bimmer back by the C2C5, :crossfingers:

Last edited by lqaddict; 01-29-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
Don't forget - a Toyota is a rebadged Lexus.
Damn I forgot about that, was always thinking it was the way around - is it half full or half empty???
Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
If all the mighty Zooks could muster was a Ford Taurus ("torque steer edition"), I'd say keep the Toyota and cut your losses.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Quote:
Hello my fellow bimmerfesters.
I am in need for a legal advice, specifically my course of action in filing a small clams court lawsuit.
Here is what happened.
My car is a lease (36 month term started in October 2011), on January 5th 2013 my car was involved in a car accident and 100% fault has been assigned to another party.
My car is still in the shop being repaired, and by the time I might get my car back I would be out of it for more than a month.
My understanding of lease vs finance situation is that the lease is a rent as opposed to the financing (ownership). Now I am trying to get another company to reimburse me for the lease payment I incurred for the month my car is at the shop being repaired and not used by me. And it does not look like we are on the same page - so am I being unreasonable to request being reimbursed for my lease payment for the month my car is in the shop because it wasn't my fault?
Should I file the lawsuit against the other insurance company or their insured?
Thank you,
What you'll probably have to do is make the payment and talk with your insurance company. They'll negotiate for you. If your insurance has a 'loss of use' clause, you're set.

Insurance companies don't want to go to court unless they have to, especially if they're going to loose. An example: My wife was stopped for traffic trying to enter the local interstate when she was rear ended. The shoulder strap fractured her clavical so she was out of work for a bit. Rather then facing a lawsuit, the at fault's insurance paid for the work she missed AND all the overtime she missed! She also got pain and suffering tacked on.

You don't have to sign off until you're satisfied.

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 335Ci View Post
What you'll probably have to do is make the payment and talk with your insurance company. They'll negotiate for you. If your insurance has a 'loss of use' clause, you're set.

Insurance companies don't want to go to court unless they have to, especially if they're going to loose. An example: My wife was stopped for traffic trying to enter the local interstate when she was rear ended. The shoulder strap fractured her clavical so she was out of work for a bit. Rather then facing a lawsuit, the at fault's insurance paid for the work she missed AND all the overtime she missed! She also got pain and suffering tacked on.

You don't have to sign off until you're satisfied.
The thing is the insurance companies, neither mine nor the party at fault, doesn't want anything to do with. I originally went through my insurance to get the car on the road ASAP, and I am paying for rental coverage on my insurance ($30/day) and I still have to struggle trying to recover my out of pocket w/ a lousy carolla.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Sounds like you have a lizzard for your insurance ... or a poor agent. You can try asking for a case review, might help.

Just remember, insurance companies have pockets much deeper then your's. If you can prove this is their SOP towards their customers, a class action suit may get their attention.

Good luck.

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: mazda miata
Alright I am in the insurance industry so let me offer a little insight.

You are collecting under your own policy and thus are subject to the limits of your policy. in your case you opted for $30 a day rental coverage and thus you can be reimbursed up to that limit regardless of style vehicle. If that does not afford the BMW rental i'm sorry. look up some rates for those classes of car and ask your agent how much it will cost to get those limits and then make your own choices for the future.

Your other option is to go back to the other party and explain whats going on, tell them you want to get a comparable vehicle to the one you are driving and ask them if they will cover it (specifically say your looking to rent say a bmw not go by class). if they approve it then your golden and just wait for the reimbursement.

As for grounds of going to court over this and doing more then wasting more time and money? I would probably buy some scratch offs first.

In summery, always read your insurance contract and when in doubt, ask your agent.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
i do not believe you have any legal grounds to sue for the lease payment-- they have to make you whole, in this circumstance, by providing transportation (the rental car). i do not believe NYS insurance regs require them to provide you with a same caliber rental, just same class (compact, a 3 and a corolla are the same size class).
it sucks, but IMHO, you have no grounds for a lawsuit to recover your lease payments. you had payments before the accident, that continues.

you can try arguing with your insurance company to put you into a better car, which they'll subrogate over to the other ins company, but thats pretty much the limit of what you can do
I agree 100%. Sure the rental isn't a BMW but it is reliable transportation. Worrying about stuff like this is hard on ones psyche and not worth it.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 335Ci View Post
Sounds like you have a lizzard for your insurance ...

Good luck.
Right on the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeaken View Post
Alright I am in the insurance industry so let me offer a little insight.

You are collecting under your own policy and thus are subject to the limits of your policy. in your case you opted for $30 a day rental coverage and thus you can be reimbursed up to that limit regardless of style vehicle. If that does not afford the BMW rental i'm sorry. look up some rates for those classes of car and ask your agent how much it will cost to get those limits and then make your own choices for the future.

Your other option is to go back to the other party and explain whats going on, tell them you want to get a comparable vehicle to the one you are driving and ask them if they will cover it (specifically say your looking to rent say a bmw not go by class). if they approve it then your golden and just wait for the reimbursement.

As for grounds of going to court over this and doing more then wasting more time and money? I would probably buy some scratch offs first.

In summery, always read your insurance contract and when in doubt, ask your agent.
Thank you! I have cleared it up, so basically I went back to my insurance, and asked them what would they think a comparable rental would be for my car - luxury class was suggested, and I went with it - the Enterprise office I contacted had a few BMW's in the class available, and I got an X5 at the luxury insurance rate of $65 a day ($30 is covered by my insurance, $35 is out my own pocket).
My insurance extended their "gratitude" by providing a courtesy to try to get me reimbursed for out of pocket expenses on the rental when they go into litigation with the other insurance company - it is a non-fault to me accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
I agree 100%. Sure the rental isn't a BMW but it is reliable transportation. Worrying about stuff like this is hard on ones psyche and not worth it.
Sorry to sound too rude but you can go piss in the corner - I pay a premium on my own choosing for the car in this particular class, it wasn't my idea to get into an accident and create this headache for myself, I don't know why you think I should settle for less.

Last edited by lqaddict; 01-31-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
lqaddict, just curious. Why did you choose to file this claim with your insurance company rather than the insurance of the at fault driver? When I had a car totaled by an at fault driver I filed the claim with his insurance company and they handled everything in a timely manner. I did have to wait at all to get a rental car. They did try to low ball how much they would pay for my car, but when I produced evidence of three or four cars like mine and the retail prices they were currently being offered at they acquiesced without any hassle and paid me the fair market value for my car.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **