Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

View Poll Results: Does your tpms indicate individual tire pressure loss and/or psi?
Yes, it indicates which tire is low and/or individual psi 10 37.04%
No, it only shows tire pressure low for all wheels and no indication of each individual psi 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Recent x5 buyers tpms survey

Wanted to see the consensus on the tpms issue. From late 2010 BMW offered a dumbed down version of its tpms where the system detected a low pressure, but didn't offer which tire had the low pressure. After a thread about a 2013 x5d owner stating his system indicated which tire was low, I wanted to find out whether BMW went back to it's old system which could indicate individual tire pressure loss.

Hence survey.

So if your a recent buyer of a 2013 petrol or 2012-13 diesel, please answer this simple question. Also post your assembly date, found on the door jamb.

Noi4

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: German
I'm curious about this too. I have the old crappy system.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED!

To all those respondents who said

1) No
2) Have a 2013 vehicle

Could you kindly also add the production date!

Thanks

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM
BMW Fan

Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
I thought that in the screen it showed which tire is low by changing the tire color from green???
Is that not right?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
oops I voted.

I didn't see you wanted only newer X5 owners.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
I thought that in the screen it showed which tire is low by changing the tire color from green???
Is that not right?
The tire colors change, however it doesnt show which tire is low, as all the tires change to yellow. This is true of all late 2010-current MY. However its beginning to seem as though BMW changed the TPMS design again, where (before late 2010 Vehicles) the individual tire pressure loss is indicated though a color change for only that specific wheel.

Why does this matter?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
oops I voted.

I didn't see you wanted only newer X5 owners.
thats perfectly fine

Why does this matter?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
1) No mine does not show individual tire pressure warnings
2) 2012 model year December 2011 build date

Jay
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
1) No mine does not show individual tire pressure warnings
2) 2013 35i model April 2012 build date
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
(1) No individual tire pressure warnings.

(2) 2013 50i Dec 2012 build.

The attached photos should answer your question. With the ignition all four tires are green if they are ok. I would assume if one or more is low it would be yellow, and if one or more was flat it would be red. BTW, I apologize for the small & horrible pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	80
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	359753   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	86
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	359754  

Last edited by Sean; 01-29-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM

Agree that's the way it used to and should work, but its not how mine works, as verified when my wife called me when she had a screw in her tire.

Jay
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I wish I could've provided a pic, however the the TPMS is now malfunctioned. Maybe that's why it showed the individual low pressure. Irregardless, it showed a single yellow tire vs. the others green along with the highlighted tire that was low
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicrtype1 View Post
I wish I could've provided a pic, however the the TPMS is now malfunctioned. Maybe that's why it showed the individual low pressure. Irregardless, it showed a single yellow tire vs. the others green along with the highlighted tire that was low
I'm hoping that's the case, where BMW decided to revert to showing which individual tire is low. It just makes a tad bit easier. Whereas the current system, just shows tire pressure low, And you have to go outside to measure each tire. I don't understand the reasoning behind BMW engineering decisions sometimes..

Why does this matter?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: Z3,X5d,750Li,E93,1200RT&C
Voted and have an '11 made in dec 2010.
Only announces low press somewhere like on the old 2008 etc
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bimmers View Post
On my 2008, it tells which specific tire is low.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
I had a low tire a couple weeks ago and in the center info display between the gauges, it said which tire was low. I did not notice what the iDrive display showed though. I immediately went and checked the RR tire and it was not low. I never checked the other tires though. I may have to test this again though.

2013 50i build December 2012.

Last edited by ktono; 01-29-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Update

UPDATE:

So it seems as though the 2013 owners, two confirmed thus far for DEC production have unique experiences.

KTONO:

Idrive status: didnt notice
MID: Indicated a specific tire was low on tire pressure.
Actual tire pressure: normal psi
MFG DATE: DEC 12

civicrtype1:

Idrive status: Indicated a specific tire was low on tire pressure.
MID: didnt notice
Actual tire pressure: N/A
MFG DATE: N/A

Sean
Idrive status: No Individual warnings, TBA
MID: didnt notice
Actual tire pressure: N/A
MFG DATE: DEC 12

Why does this matter?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
Since we are expecting snow, I thought this would be a good time to check all of the tires. With the varying feedback it will hopefully provide better insight.

My iDrive screen prior to the test showed green all the way around and each tire was between 35-36psi. I let air out of the front passenger side and once it got to 27psi it displayed as low on the iDrive screen. The center gauge cluster showed the tire light but had no indication of which tire as I previously mentioned. I filled it back up and it returned to green once it got back above the 35psi setting. Pics attached.

Question...the recommended cold pressures are 33psi fronts and 39psi rears. Should I follow this exactly or is 35psi fronts and 36psi rears sufficient. Will it noticeably affect anything? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359519921.804985.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	359801   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359519936.402958.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	359802   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359519951.301912.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	359804   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359519963.735977.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	359806  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM

Update 2

So we have VISUAL confirmation BMW has reintroduced the old TPMS system onto Dec-2012 production X5 vehicles.

Thanks KTONO for the pictures!

Why does this matter?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktono View Post
Since we are expecting snow, I thought this would be a good time to check all of the tires. With the varying feedback it will hopefully provide better insight.

My iDrive screen prior to the test showed green all the way around and each tire was between 35-36psi. I let air out of the front passenger side and once it got to 27psi it displayed as low on the iDrive screen. The center gauge cluster showed the tire light but had no indication of which tire as I previously mentioned. I filled it back up and it returned to green once it got back above the 35psi setting. Pics attached.

Question...the recommended cold pressures are 33psi fronts and 39psi rears. Should I follow this exactly or is 35psi fronts and 36psi rears sufficient. Will it noticeably affect anything? Thanks.
I would run the the tires almost 2-3 psi below recommended (if its snowing you get a bit more traction area).

Why does this matter?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
So we have VISUAL confirmation BMW has reintroduced the old TPMS system onto Dec-2012 production X5 vehicles.

Thanks KTONO for the pictures!
Hate to say this but it's almost like BMW sort of either forgot or ran out of certain components to indicate individual tire pressure on some 2011, 2012 models..and realized they screwed up and corrected the problem...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM

Honestly, its has to be a receiver/software issue.

Each tire definitely has a TPS in it (verified visually when a tire was off getting a hole patched). Its possible that some bean counter (like me) could have decided that they could produce 100 more X5s per year by not synchronizing the individual sensors with the receiver. I have to do this manually when I rotate my tires on my V and it takes an additional 2-3 minutes probably.

Also if the person rotating the tires doesn't do this synchronization the driver could get a warning that the driver rear is low, manually check it and determine its fine and then continue driving to the detriment of his passenger front which is actually the one setting off the alarm. Ktono - your first post is what led to my theory, but it appears you then refuted that in your subsequent testing.

I haven't checked operation of the TPMS since the latest software update, perhaps it was one of the changes, maybe I'll check tonight.

Jay
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM

If it is in fact a software issue, I wonder if we could code this feature??
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 325Ci + ZPP/ZSP/ZCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bimmers View Post
My '07 shows specific tire causing TPMS alert.

Alpinweiß 2005 325Ci
Spacegrau 2007 X5 3.0Si

Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM

I have asked this question quite a few times here and BMW coding forums. The response that i got has been that the later 2010 engineering change was with the receiver and it's capabilities. The receiver has access to TPM sensors but unable to determine which wheel was low and hence the vague idrive status. However logic dictates that for the tpms system to just flash that a tire is low on pressure, it has to get some form of pressure reading from each wheel indicating that it's low (may it be tpm sensor or wheel rotation sensor). Hence it should just be a simple software change that makes the reciever system information available to the driver's idrive. Soo it's eithwr a move that saved BMW some programming costs or idk they wanted all x5 owners to learn how to check tire pressure the good old way lol.

Why does this matter?