Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
Newer isn't better.

The new iDrive added a **** load of buttons onto the center console. I don't consider that an improvement.
The CIC iDrive is light years more functional than COMMAND. The stupid interface is not intuitive at all and the menus make no sense. Higher res screen on iDrive. And a ML with COMMAND has a million different buttons in the center console. Much more than CIC. The CIC merely added shortcuts, around the knob, like MMI.

They all pale in comparasion to MMI though.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
why is mmi better?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
why is mmi better?
Go play with a newer MMI. It is much more intuitive. The menus just make sense. Plus the address entry is superior with the new touchpad. It's so useful BMW is copying it in the next version of iDrive. When the touchpad isn't being used, it turns into buttons for your radio
Presets. IDrive doesn't have radio preset buttons outside, unless you count the programmable buttons on the dash.

MMI also has a built in cellular connection, which has hotspot connection for your devices. But the best thing is the Google Maps integration. Always up to date maps, like my Android.

Next gen MMI (debuting on the new A3) is supposed to have a LTE connection and upgraded NVIDIA chip for the maps.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Seriously?

The new iDrive is light years better than the previous generation. There is no aspect of the older system that could be considered better.

Command is terrible. My experience only, but neither our '09 ML or '10 X5 should be considered anywhere close to reliable. Difference is that our BMW dealership provides much, much better service than the local MB dealer.
COMMAND's problem is that they just keep cramming more and more into the same interface. I'm sure it was great when it was only a phone and AM/FM radio (which is, I assume, how it started, or the telephone keypad is utterly pointless). But with all the options it handles today? Cumbersome is a generous characterization. Sticking a wheel on it helped, but didn't cure anything.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safelder View Post
COMMAND's problem is that they just keep cramming more and more into the same interface. I'm sure it was great when it was only a phone and AM/FM radio (which is, I assume, how it started, or the telephone keypad is utterly pointless). But with all the options it handles today? Cumbersome is a generous characterization. Sticking a wheel on it helped, but didn't cure anything.
The new connected mBrace functionality is pure junk also. I tried playing with it in a new GLK. Doesn't even work. CNET ripped MB in their review of it too. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

You're right. MB is just adding more and more into the same **** interface. Look at MMI and iDrive. They've gone thru many versions and big overhauls (CCC to CIC iDrive, for example) to keep up with all the features.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 01-06-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
The new connected mBrace functionality is pure junk also. I tried playing with it in a new GLK. Doesn't even work. CNET ripped MB in their review of it too. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

You're right. MB is just adding more and more into the same **** interface. Look at MMI and iDrive. They've gone thru many versions and big overhauls (CCC to CIC iDrive, for example) to keep up with all the features.
Never activated mbrace on my wife's GL. Great safety technology in the ML, but that's about it. As a tech geek, not too impressed when I ask the merc salesman "what will I think is the coolest toy in this car" and he says "how it will park itself." If you can't park yourself, isn't it time to give up the license?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Quote:
Newer isn't better.

The new iDrive added a **** load of buttons onto the center console. I don't consider that an improvement.
If you want to see a *** load of buttons, look at the COMMAND system, or even worse at the Audi MMI or the Cayenne.

The iDrive (both old and new) are very spartan and functional. It does require getting used to (like many other things on a BMW) but once you get the hang of it you wonder how people can live without it.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Having owned a 2009 ML350 and now a 2011 X5 3.5 i can give you some thoughts.

The ML was extremely reliable. In 3 years of ownership never had anything go wrong with it. Not one little thing. Only brought it in for regular service with excellent dealer service. The voice command system worked very well for me. You could just say the information for the Navigation and it just worked. Easy to use. I had the Harmon Kardon upgraded stereo. DVD Audio (those high quality sound music disks) sounded amazing in the car. Everyone here says the COMMAND system is archaic but it did work fine (and if you remember the 2009 iDrive was a mess). My wife had no problem understanding its use from day one and she is not the most technically proficient. From a pure drive-ability standpoint the ML drove softly and smoothly but was definitely not sporty. The brakes (electronic i believe) were terrible. Very hard to modulate. Night and day from the X5.

When the lease was up I got a VW CC because i thought a car would be a nice change of pace. Loved the car up until a tree fell on it from Hurricane Sandy. Knew I wanted a SUV again, so the search went on and I've always loved the look of the X5. Nice and sporty. Some of you know that I've only had the X5 for less than a month and the dealer has had it now for about 2 1/2 weeks trying to figure out why it was stalling, etc (2011 Stalling thread....). From the short time i drove it (plus all of the test drives) i can say it is sportier and more confidence inspiriting (when it wasn't stalling that is ). My wife says it is more truck-like (her term) but I can see where she gets that from with a more "bouncy ride". She is driving a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport with the lowered suspension and EcoBoost engine (same tree took out her car too). Her ride is smoother but with 20" tires it handles VERY well. I think many here on this forum would be impressed with it's performance. Getting back to the X5, the Interior is nice but not awesome (i've had a 2013 750 loaner car - tough to compare the two of course!!). Around town the car doesn't have much power down low but it's better once you get into it. Steering, brakes all good. I'm sure as the miles go on I'll have stronger opinions about other aspects of it.

Hopefully, after they've replaced the DME module and battery my car will be trouble free and I can go off and enjoy it.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: Ml350
I traded in my 2010 ML350 for a 2013 X5 5.0 Msport and the biggest difference is the size. The x5 is much bigger inside and out. My parking space is much more cramped now. People think they are equal in size and class but they are not.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Yeah Mercedes is screwing people on the price of the ML, which traditionally has been BMW's job.

ML is the same price as the Q7.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod27 View Post
I traded in my 2010 ML350 for a 2013 X5 5.0 Msport and the biggest difference is the size. The x5 is much bigger inside and out. My parking space is much more cramped now. People think they are equal in size and class but they are not.
We've also owned both. The X5 is actually only slightly bigger overall outside and has a smaller interior capacity. The X5 is just under an inch taller, just over 2 inches longer and 2 inches wider. Specs as per manufacturer websites.

X5:

Height = 1776 mm
Length = 4857 mm
Width = 2197 mm

Interior Capacity (Max/Min) = 620/1750 Liters

ML:

Height = 1796 mm
Length = 4804 mm
Width = 2141 mm

Interior Capacity (Max/Min) = 690/2010 Liters

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey

Last edited by Cdnrockies; 01-16-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: Ml350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
We've also owned both. The X5 is actually only slightly bigger overall outside and has a smaller interior capacity. The X5 is just under an inch taller, just over 2 inches longer and 2 inches wider. Specs as per manufacturer websites.

X5:

Height = 1776 mm
Length = 4857 mm
Width = 2197 mm

Interior Capacity (Max/Min) = 620/1750 Liters

ML:

Height = 1796 mm
Length = 4804 mm
Width = 2141 mm

Interior Capacity (Max/Min) = 690/2010 Liters
well i havent done the measurements, but after leasing the ML350 for 3+ years and being in my current X5 for 3-4 months, the difference is very noticeable. Maybe the ML just has more misspent space.....but the X5 feels alot more spacious. And my parking spot neighbor hates my X5 cuz of less space for door opening.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35i
The wife and I test drove both 2013 Merc Benz ML and BMW X5:

MB felt smaller up front, but drove comfortable and steering was light/smooth.

BMW seemed bigger up front and had a sportier ride with stiffer steering.

Thank God convinced the wife to go with the more masculine BMW. Now she comments about seeing old ladies driving the MLs. X5 is like driving an SUV sports car. We don't have the AD, but I can still corner with the best of them.