Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
BMW nav added about an hour to the ETA for my trip from Little Rock to Houston. When I zoomed out, I saw that it wanted me to go through Dallas!!! For those who aren't familiar with the area, that's a HUGE unnecessary detour... Anyway, I thankfully had my good 5 year-old Garmin Nuvi on hand so just for the heck of it, I had both systems going simultaneously for comparison. This very quickly highlighted another very serious shortcoming of the BMW nav; when zoomed in enough, the Garmin had every street name clearly displayed. Fully zoomed in, the BMW nav had only very few street names shown. And in some instances, even the names of streets of most interest like the one the car was currently on or upcoming intersecting roads were not shown! Seriously BMW, seriously?!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned because I didn't read the whole thread but you can switch the route preference between "fast route" "short route" and "efficient route" Try toggling between them and see if it gets the route you were expecting...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Tried that and it still wanted to take me on a detour through Dallas!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Yes, the navigation wasn't very good. Last time I planned a trip from Pittsburgh to Killington, it routed me through Canada, including some 300 miles of state roads instead of the interstate. On the plus side it was fun going 100MPH+ on miles and miles of state roads with no cops or speed limit signs.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Yes, the navigation wasn't very good. Last time I planned a trip from Pittsburgh to Killington, it routed me through Canada, including some 300 miles of state roads instead of the interstate. On the plus side it was fun going 100MPH+ on miles and miles of state roads with no cops or speed limit signs.
I need to go on that route I think all the problem with BMW navi is the auto traffic re-route. If we turn off this we should be fine. What do you guys think?

X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
I need to go on that route I think all the problem with BMW navi is the auto traffic re-route. If we turn off this we should be fine. What do you guys think?
I think it's a combination of that and common sense.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Maybe keep an old fashioned paper map in the glove compartment to help you figure out where the GPS is trying to take you?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
Hey some time the GPS gets you lost but you discover a new route or a place we complain to much. Few years ago we did not even have GPS so keep driving your BMW and enjoy what's there

X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
.... Few years ago we did not even have GPS so keep driving your BMW and enjoy what's there
True but back then you were not charged hundreds of dollars extra for it either... If BMW is willing to include navigation as a standard feature without charging a penny for it, then we wouldn't be complaining.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Maybe keep an old fashioned paper map in the glove compartment to help you figure out where the GPS is trying to take you?
Or you could just look at the mp on the Nav screen.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
I can't agree fast enough! The BMW system's stink. Interface stinks, data stinks, and routing logic stinks. And oh, it's the most expensive freaking thing (including the updates!).

It's amazing, I was recently in Vermont trying to get to a ski area I hadn't been to before. The BMW system kept sending me down dirt roads that were closed, open fields, and even into people's driveways! Not to mention, the route it used to get there probably added a good 45 minutes to the trip to begin with. Certainly, at a minimum it taught me I have to pre-plan the route and not rely on it's overall routing logic.

Anyway, long story short, I had to take out my Samsung G3 and use the android navigation app to get me there, the BMW nav just couldn't figure out how to do it (and at 12am, after 6 hours of driving, it was getting OLD)! Of course, the phone got me there without a single problem or wrong turn.

What a great system indeed.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
Or you could just look at the mp on the Nav screen.
Except that for MANY minor roads, the Nav system doesn't label the roads by name or number when zoomed-in, and then when you zoom-out, so you can see the name, it no longer shows the minor road you were looking at at all!

The BMW Nav program is missing the logic to ensure the road identifier in on the screen when zoomed in. As noted, this wouldn't be a problem except that the logic then no longer shows the road (to avoid cluttering the screen with excessive detail) when you zoom-out to "give it enough room" to show the road name/number.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 Xdrive M Sport
Great i just purchased a CPO 2010 X5 and had the dealership update the nav. After hearing all these comments im womdering if it were a waste of time. Just got it today and tried it on way home from dealership in PA, i live in Jersey. Nav wanted to take me onto Rt1 which has a milliom traffic lights opposed to the NJ Turnpike (fast n direct). Is there a way for me to tell which version nav i have? Salesman seemed unsure and said it should be the 2013 version (which im not sure is even released yet). Secondly, does this nav have the 3d option? I couldnt find it if it did.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbee View Post
Great i just purchased a CPO 2010 X5 and had the dealership update the nav. After hearing all these comments im womdering if it were a waste of time. Just got it today and tried it on way home from dealership in PA, i live in Jersey. Nav wanted to take me onto Rt1 which has a milliom traffic lights opposed to the NJ Turnpike (fast n direct). Is there a way for me to tell which version nav i have? Salesman seemed unsure and said it should be the 2013 version (which im not sure is even released yet). Secondly, does this nav have the 3d option? I couldnt find it if it did.
Go into navigation options menu, there should be an option somewhere that shows the "Navigation system version" (can't remember right now where it was)... And yes, you should be able to see 3D buildings (the option is called "perspective view in 3D", should be in navigation settings), but only in large cities, like Manhattan area of NYC and buildings look much worse than on iOS Maps app or Google Maps so it's pretty useless feature.

Last edited by Ripred; 01-29-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM

Thank you for your help, im gonna go look now. So your saying the 3D option will only be accessible in large cities? Will i still see an option for it when not in a city? And was this option available in my 2010 from the factory, or was it an upgrade with the new software?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Ok i did see the options you mentioned. My version said NA BMW 1.4.6 road map north america premium 2009-2
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Ac***** ******

Quote:
Ok i did see the options you mentioned. My version said NA BMW 1.4.6 road map north america premium 2009-2
That means the navigation map data was never updated since your new car came out of factory It has map database for 2009 "year".
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM

You are 100% correct the dealer flat out lied to me. Do you know what the latest version is for the x5 so i can reference this to the dealer? Thsnk you for your help.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Ac***** ******

Quote:
You are 100% correct the dealer flat out lied to me. Do you know what the latest version is for the x5 so i can reference this to the dealer? Thsnk you for your help.
The latest is 2013 "year". If the dealer will update for free -it's fine, but if he will ask $200 or more for it - don't do it
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Bimmer navi is certainly horrible like most every other navi that isn't made by Honda/Acura. I can't stand any of them having used BMW, Volvo (really, Volvo?), Lexus, Infiniti...

Honestly, I don't bother other than using it as a map to show major roads. If I'm in need of directions, I always just use my Android Google Maps navigation that is terrific. On the new Androids, it even automatically switches to Street View as you pull up to your destination. Amazing execution by Google that should be a no brainer how-to for luxury cars. Garmin is pathetic in comparison IMO.

Destination entry and voice commands with BMW is a waste of time. In three years, I can't think of a single successful attempt at a voice command working correctly. Acura does a decent job, but tv commercials all make voice entry an overrated feature on any car.

Use your phone Google Maps before you leave.
My two cents.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM

That was actually a condition of my purchase, update the nav which salesman assured me was done. Im furious right now bro, u have no idea!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
This is completely off topic, but i was looking at your miles and ..
I dont know how you get that good a mileage on the d. I have driven all 500 miles on highway and I still get 24-25/ gallon. Should I get this checked with my SA .. Taking -1-81 all the way from md to ny

Last edited by jitubats; 01-30-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
I drive mostly highway. I think my lifetime average speed is something like 46 mph+-
Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM

Update: spoke w/salesman who assured me nav was updated and provided copy of work order which states update nav maps for delivery of vehicle and shows 2.00 hrs labor. How is this possible car still shows version 1.4.4 2009-2??
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM

Type o version shows 1.4.6
Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Ac***** ******

Maybe it's the only nav version they had in stock?