Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E70 X5 M / E71 X6 M

E70 X5 M / E71 X6 M
Forum for the all-wheel-drive models BMW X5 M and BMW X6 M.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Launch control video on YouTube

Finally found some kind of demo on video. Has anyone ever tried this yet? I know we were talking about it recently but I didn't know there was this "checkered flag" icon on the gauges. I'm a little skeptical about doing a brake stand in such a new ride; but it appears it was designed for this?

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark

Last edited by Die Wolfe; 01-29-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6M
Nice, thanks for postig!

My disclaimered instructions were a bit off then, in the other thread. In the video you can see the checkered flag (which I also did not know about) at around 3k RPMs, I guess for the turbo to fully kick in. I love how quickly this engine builds revs, it defies all logic that one is sitting in a 5300 pound vehicle ... Sick!

Btw I can watch this video over and over and not get bored.

I'm at just over 1400 miles now, so I may give this a try soon, just have to find a suitable place.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Nice, thanks for postig!

My disclaimered instructions were a bit off then, in the other thread. In the video you can see the checkered flag (which I also did not know about) at around 3k RPMs, I guess for the turbo to fully kick in. I love how quickly this engine builds revs, it defies all logic that one is sitting in a 5300 pound vehicle ... Sick!

Btw I can watch this video over and over and not get bored.

I'm at just over 1400 miles now, so I may give this a try soon, just have to find a suitable place.
No problem, pretty cool huh! I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow!

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: X6///M & 06 ///M6
Im going to trybthis today...
This launch mode is a bit different than the M6 launch mode.
M6 launch don't use brake.
H&R lowering springs
BMC air filter
resonator & secondary cat delete
CF front lip
CF mirror inserts
CF steering wheel cover

04 645ci convertible blk/blk MT- SOLD
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 AM

So I did this.

Yesterday, went to try and find a spot for some photos around sunset, spot was ok and my photos sucked. Anyway, it was at the end of this road that borders some farms and a residential complex and dead ends into a dirt road.

As I was leaving, I thought, hey, it's this long straight road... And no one is around... Hehehe. I should try the launch control!

Holy mother of god! It KICKS you back like no car I've ever driven. It's really easy to do. I did confirm in the manual the instructions the other day. I also messed it up the first time as I wasn't pressing the brake hard enough and the car jumped forward a bit. Had to wait about 20 seconds as it wouldn't let me do it again - the manual mentions this, btw.

My X6M is in M / MDM / Power / Manual shift settings pretty much 100% of the time, so didn't need to do anything there. Decided to leave it in MDM mode (turning off traction control completely is not necessary as I originally thought).

Press the brake hard. Floor the gas pedal, and the car builds and holds revs at around 3000. I believe this is optimal so the turbos can spool up. Checkered flag comes on in the display between the gauges. Release brake, and WOW it launches so fast, I still have not wiped the damn grin off my face since last night!

If you haven't tried this yet in your X6M / X5M you really need to, it is so much fun. I'd rather have Launch Control over Active Cruise Control any day! This car does not need any more power!

I had my camera gear and a gym bag in the trunk close to the back seats and immediately as the car launched, all those contents slammed to the back of the trunk! Note to self, don't have stuff in the trunk when doing launch control!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
So I did this.

Yesterday, went to try and find a spot for some photos around sunset, spot was ok and my photos sucked. Anyway, it was at the end of this road that borders some farms and a residential complex and dead ends into a dirt road.

As I was leaving, I thought, hey, it's this long straight road... And no one is around... Hehehe. I should try the launch control!

Holy mother of god! It KICKS you back like no car I've ever driven. It's really easy to do. I did confirm in the manual the instructions the other day. I also messed it up the first time as I wasn't pressing the brake hard enough and the car jumped forward a bit. Had to wait about 20 seconds as it wouldn't let me do it again - the manual mentions this, btw.

My X6M is in M / MDM / Power / Manual shift settings pretty much 100% of the time, so didn't need to do anything there. Decided to leave it in MDM mode (turning off traction control completely is not necessary as I originally thought).

Press the brake hard. Floor the gas pedal, and the car builds and holds revs at around 3000. I believe this is optimal so the turbos can spool up. Checkered flag comes on in the display between the gauges. Release brake, and WOW it launches so fast, I still have not wiped the damn grin off my face since last night!

If you haven't tried this yet in your X6M / X5M you really need to, it is so much fun. I'd rather have Launch Control over Active Cruise Control any day! This car does not need any more power!

I had my camera gear and a gym bag in the trunk close to the back seats and immediately as the car launched, all those contents slammed to the back of the trunk! Note to self, don't have stuff in the trunk when doing launch control!
LOL! Nice, I still haven't tried it yet! I definitely will now because it sounds like I'm missing out!

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 PM

Obviously I did this wrong. I had it in M mode (MDM, Power), shifted into S and held the brake as I accelerated. No checkered flags. Am I missing a step?

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Obviously I did this wrong. I had it in M mode (MDM, Power), shifted into S and held the brake as I accelerated. No checkered flags. Am I missing a step?
1. After you put shift into S, did you push up on gearshift so that you go into full M (manual shift) mode in 1st gear?

2. If you did #1, did you depress gas pedal completely to the floor? Has to be completely floored.

Normally in full manual shift, the car will not up shift for you at all. However, with launch control, you have to be in full manual and it will do all the shifts for you as long as you keep the gas pedal completely floored. As soon as you let off the gas a little, the launch control disengages and you're in manual mode again at whatever speed and in whichever gear you let off.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by ddk632; 02-07-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
1. After you put shift into S, did you push up on gearshift so that you go into full M (manual shift) mode in 1st gear?

2. If you did #1, did you depress gas pedal completely to the floor? Has to be completely floored.

Normally in full manual shift, the car will not up shift for you at all. However, with launch control, you have to be in full manual and it will do all the shifts for you as long as you keep the gas pedal completely floored. As soon as you let off the gas a little, the launch control disengages and you're in manual mode again at whatever speed and in whichever gear you let off.

Hope this helps!
Ahhhhh, manual!!!!

Mission complete! I did it this morning...on an empty street in a safe manner of course! Lol, it was so awesome!

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die wolfe View Post
ahhhhh, manual!!!!

Mission complete! I did it this morning...on an empty street in a safe manner of course! Lol, it was so awesome!
nice!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5M
Hey everyone, I joined this board a long time ago but haven't been active on it. Gonna try to start posting when I can.

I've had my X5M 3 years and 2 months now with 29K miles and I am still Mazed every time I drive it!

Launch control is a blast. The first time I tried it was right when I hit 1200 miles and now I usually just do it when I have friends in the car who haven't experienced it. lol.

As someone mentioned before, you have to wait a minute or so for it to cool off between launches. But, if you just put it in Sport Mode and hold the brake while flooring the accelerator, I'm almost positive it's the same effect, just without the checkered flag.

Also, I just found out something new (to me) today that I didn't know about. When using cruise control, if you pull the CC stalk back and hold it, the car will apply the brakes to slow the car down. If you pull it all the way back to the 2nd click and hold it, it brakes even harder! Love it!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MB View Post
Hey everyone, I joined this board a long time ago but haven't been active on it. Gonna try to start posting when I can.

I've had my X5M 3 years and 2 months now with 29K miles and I am still Mazed every time I drive it!

Launch control is a blast. The first time I tried it was right when I hit 1200 miles and now I usually just do it when I have friends in the car who haven't experienced it. lol.

As someone mentioned before, you have to wait a minute or so for it to cool off between launches. But, if you just put it in Sport Mode and hold the brake while flooring the accelerator, I'm almost positive it's the same effect, just without the checkered flag.

Also, I just found out something new (to me) today that I didn't know about. When using cruise control, if you pull the CC stalk back and hold it, the car will apply the brakes to slow the car down. If you pull it all the way back to the 2nd click and hold it, it brakes even harder! Love it!
I just tested the CC braking on my road trip to LA a couple of weeks ago...nice feature.

And Launch Control never gets old! Haha

1971 Buick Skylark