Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
6 series new Idrive info

Got a call this AM from a out of state CA who I had spoken to previously on buying a 650i.
He advised me they have confirmed the new version of Idrive will be included in 6 series builds starting March '13. No word if the '14 will include a power trunk closer. He had a interesting take on the trunk question. When I complained that the 6er has been left without the power close feature, while being available on the 5 & 7 he mentioned that the 6 is the only model with the backup camera behind the roundel, which also functions as a trunk opener, which could make it more complex to add the closer - I don't know.
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
He had a interesting take on the trunk question. When I complained that the 6er has been left without the power close feature, while being available on the 5 & 7 he mentioned that the 6 is the only model with the backup camera behind the roundel, which also functions as a trunk opener, which could make it more complex to add the closer - I don't know.
That is interesting...

Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k Lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?

Whatever the reason, BMW really screwed up on this one...

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: range rover
Are you going to order it or wait for the '14? I am thinking the '14 will probably have the full lcd instrument panel, it could also possibly have the idrive touch system instead of just the updated combo box. I think I saw somewhere that the '14 builds start in June or maybe July, either way it's not that far off.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM

I think I'd wait for a '14 at this point (if I were in the market right now). As stated, it isn't that long between March and June-ish. There likely won't be any significant discounts (like end-of-the-year deals and incentives) between now and then. Idk if the new black panel, etc., will be on the '14, but it would prevent a possible '12 v. '13 disappointment and possibly help with resale.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Are you going to order it or wait for the '14? I am thinking the '14 will probably have the full lcd instrument panel, it could also possibly have the idrive touch system instead of just the updated combo box. I think I saw somewhere that the '14 builds start in June or maybe July, either way it's not that far off.
Yeah, I'm not sure. The '14 is supposed to have the LED dash, and possibly the touch controller. ( And maybe even that elusive trunk closer) But if BMW offers the option credits again in the spring. the '13 will be a better deal. If I wait for the '14, the discounts drop again.

Also, I would like to take a look at the redone MB 550 coming in June - shown at the auto show this month. Real nice looking - upped the wheels to 19", LED headlights standard along with some new electronics. And their Twin turbo V8 is not too shabby, for about $64K
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
that is interesting...

Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. Tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?

Whatever the reason, bmw really screwed up on this one...
+1

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k Lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?
I had the power trunk on my 550 and really didn't care for it, so I'm happier that it won't be on my 650.

Now I have a question for the power trunk fans, would also want power doors to open and close at the push of a button?

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I had the power trunk on my 550 and really didn't care for it, so I'm happier that it won't be on my 650.

Now I have a question for the power trunk fans, would also want power doors to open and close at the push of a button?
Nope (soft-close feature aside). The trunk tends to be utilized when my hands are otherwise occupied. I'd be more okay with it if the trunk had a stop that once overpowered allowed the trunk to fall freely - children's fingers be damned. It's the fact that you have to reach up into the hand holes and pull down forcefully with just the right motion - unless you push down on the lid with your hands, but the person that put their hands on the paint like that would find themselves stranded at the present location lol. Also, I've accidentally pulled the light out when using the left pull, and you also have to be careful if you are using your watch hand. They could charge $3k for that button, and I'd be the idiot willing to pay for it

Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Nope (soft-close feature aside). The trunk tends to be utilized when my hands are otherwise occupied. I'd be more okay with it if the trunk had a stop that once overpowered allowed the trunk to fall freely - children's fingers be damned. It's the fact that you have to reach up into the hand holes and pull down forcefully with just the right motion - unless you push down on the lid with your hands, but the person that put their hands on the paint like that would find themselves stranded at the present location lol. Also, I've accidentally pulled the light out when using the left pull, and you also have to be careful if you are using your watch hand. They could charge $3k for that button, and I'd be the idiot willing to pay for it
While I was shopping around I fitted my bicycle in a 6er and didn't have any issues opening or closing the trunk. I find I open and close the trunk much faster when I do it myself. I also have no issues touching the paint, but finger prints aren't that obvious on Alpine White.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I also have no issues touching the paint, but finger prints aren't that obvious on Alpine White.
Prior to ordering my car I was told that I would need to get a therapist to accompany my choice of Carbon Black. I'm starting to think there is something to that recommendation

Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:

What did you not like about it? I have a power close tailgate on my 4 Runner and love it. Don't see the point of slamming anything on a $90K car. Should be soft close all the way around.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: X6, F150, 650i xDrive Cnv
Quote:
Prior to ordering my car I was told that I would need to get a therapist to accompany my choice of Carbon Black. I'm starting to think there is something to that recommendation
Southey, I agree completely. I'm glutten for punishment, also own a Tuxedo Black F150 as well as my Carbon Black 650i.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
What did you not like about it? I have a power close tailgate on my 4 Runner and love it. Don't see the point of slamming anything on a $90K car. Should be soft close all the way around.
There's no need to slam the trunk closed, but the powered trunk moves too slow for me. It was one of those little annoyances that I learned to live with after a while.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
There's no need to slam the trunk closed, but the powered trunk moves too slow for me. It was one of those little annoyances that I learned to live with after a while.
Got ya. But once you make contact with the power closing mechanism, what difference does it make if it's slow in securing - you would be getting back in the car or leaving it anyway? I would find it more annoying to have to slam the trunklid on a non-powered 650. Pointed this out to the CA during a walk around and he agreed it was crazy to have paid $4400 for the Exec Pkg to get soft close doors but the trunk was not included. I get the strong feeling the '14 is going to fix this.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i GC 2010 Maserat
I agree, there should have been at least a standard soft-close feature for the trunk latch (but I would prefer a fully motorized one). I have had the power up/down trunk on other cars and I definitely miss it on the GC where you have to slam the lid to get it to latch. This seems like a strange oversight by BMW considering that this car has everything else motorized including the side/rear sunshades and even the sunroof sunshade!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofstet View Post
Southey, I agree completely. I'm glutten for punishment, also own a Tuxedo Black F150 as well as my Carbon Black 650i.
I'm in the midst of a losing battle with the pollen right now. My car can barely make it 3 days right now. Weekly washes are getting old, but it's well worth it once complete.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: range rover
While we are on the subject, how do you guys like the soft close doors? I am contemplating about retrofitting them onto the gran coupe. My car started production a month before they offered them.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
I'm in the midst of a losing battle with the pollen right now. My car can barely make it 3 days right now. Weekly washes are getting old, but it's well worth it once complete.
Get a California duster. I've used them for years on black cars with no problems. You will not scratch the paint - especially with pollen.

Now the salt I'm dealling with this time of year is another story. I hate winter.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i GC 2010 Maserat
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
While we are on the subject, how do you guys like the soft close doors? I am contemplating about retrofitting them onto the gran coupe. My car started production a month before they offered them.
My car was a December build and I ordered them and just got the car. I had them on my 550iGT and really liked not having to slam the doors. They work great! I'm hoping to find a way to retrofit a soft close feature on the trunk lid.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeatl View Post
I agree, there should have been at least a standard soft-close feature for the trunk latch (but I would prefer a fully motorized one). I have had the power up/down trunk on other cars and I definitely miss it on the GC where you have to slam the lid to get it to latch. This seems like a strange oversight by BMW considering that this car has everything else motorized including the side/rear sunshades and even the sunroof sunshade!
Amen - I feel EXACTLY the same
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:

I've got a jet black V8 4runner and it is the last black I will ever buy. Covered in pollen 30 minutes after cleaning. Would have to keep my CA duster strapped to my body............
Toughest color you can get.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Get a California duster. I've used them for years on black cars with no problems. You will not scratch the paint - especially with pollen.
Might have to look into that.

Quote:
I've got a jet black V8 4runner and it is the last black I will ever buy. Covered in pollen 30 minutes after cleaning. Would have to keep my CA duster strapped to my body............
Toughest color you can get.
Yeah, I'm coping with the Carbon Black, and I think Black Sapphire would be about the same. Jet Black would require medication, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeatl View Post
I always feel like an idiot when people are walking by admiring my car, and then I look like an fumbling idiot closing the trunk. Kills the scene.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Got ya. But once you make contact with the power closing mechanism, what difference does it make if it's slow in securing - you would be getting back in the car or leaving it anyway? I would find it more annoying to have to slam the trunklid on a non-powered 650. Pointed this out to the CA during a walk around and he agreed it was crazy to have paid $4400 for the Exec Pkg to get soft close doors but the trunk was not included. I get the strong feeling the '14 is going to fix this.
It's primarily the slow in opening that drives me crazy. I feel like if I could open the trunk, throw what I need into in there, close the trunk, hop in the car a drive off in the period of time I'm waiting for the power trunk to open.

BTW, it is truly annoying if you push the button to close the trunk, walk around and hop into the car, start her up, and get a warning light the the trunk is ajar. You look in the mirror and see that it reopened itself because it encountered some pressure while closing. After that happens a couple of times, you will find yourself waiting for the trunk to close before you walk away from it.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
It's primarily the slow in opening that drives me crazy. I feel like if I could open the trunk, throw what I need into in there, close the trunk, hop in the car a drive off in the period of time I'm waiting for the power trunk to open.

BTW, it is truly annoying if you push the button to close the trunk, walk around and hop into the car, start her up, and get a warning light the the trunk is ajar. You look in the mirror and see that it reopened itself because it encountered some pressure while closing. After that happens a couple of times, you will find yourself waiting for the trunk to close before you walk away from it.
I would be quite happy if BMW would simply add the soft close feature to the trunk - as I think most folks would. No waiting, but also no slamming to close as is the current case.
Again seems bizarre they would offer a package that includes soft close doors but omit the trunk.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 AM

The coupe and convertible have different trunks, as discussed in a thread a while back. The convertible's will close once you get it going whereas the coupe requires a good, strong pull and pops back up if it doesn't latch properly. I assume the GC matches the coupe - although you'd think they would've fixed the problem for their new baby.