Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Crickets...
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Registered Drooler

Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
What.....just.....happened.....here?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton View Post
What.....just.....happened.....here?
You missed one hell of a dinner party. You should see my AMEX bill.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
I have to leave my iPhone unlocked and with the connected drive app up front and running in order to get the integration. The same for Pandora.. it's one or the other, but not both. A little annoying, but not too bad.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
The problem is with iPhone. The way the Apps works is you can have your apps running but when you get a call and you talk for more than the time set to lock your phone it will lock. Then you have to unlock your phone to re start the app if you never use lock feature then after your call the app should restart.

X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
When I'm playing music from my iPhone 5 via USB connection, I'm unable to force other audio (i.e. internet radio apps) from my phone to play through the car stereo. I can launch for example the Live365 app, and it will start streaming for about 1 second, then the normal iPod music on my phone overrides and starts to play.

This was not the behavior when I used the Media cradle + iPhone 4 on my 2012 M3 with Nav.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will let me keep my phone connected via USB?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 AM

Check if your Bluetooth audio is disabled and try I have notice my Bluetooth audio will take over all the time. After I finish a call my audio from iPod will start on its own.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
When I'm playing music from my iPhone 5 via USB connection, I'm unable to force other audio (i.e. internet radio apps) from my phone to play through the car stereo. I can launch for example the Live365 app, and it will start streaming for about 1 second, then the normal iPod music on my phone overrides and starts to play.

This was not the behavior when I used the Media cradle + iPhone 4 on my 2012 M3 with Nav.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will let me keep my phone connected via USB?
When your iPhone is plugged into USB, iDrive assumes you don't want to stream. There is no workaround for this. When you are plugged in via USB, you cannot stream over Bluetooth. Certain apps, like Pandora, allow you to listen to music via the USB connection and not via Bluetooth wireless. Check your individual apps for settings that allow you to toggle between the two.

In general, docking your iPhone to USB is inconvenient in a BMW. The workaround that many of us use is to buy a beater iPod touch and keep that in the armrest all the time. This way, your iPhone can connect over Bluetooth for phone, text, and streaming while your iPod has your MP3's ready to go. An iPod touch can sync to iTunes over Wi-Fi, so you don't even need to bring the iPod into the house to get new content on it or update playlists.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-26-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 AM

Bluetooth for audio is not enabled. That is not the problem. It's an Apple thing.. it wants to force override other music output when you get the Accessory Connected interface.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Bluetooth for audio is not enabled. That is not the problem. It's an Apple thing.. it wants to force override other music output when you get the Accessory Connected interface.
I just tried an iPhone 5 and a 4S in my M3, and not only any audio app audio (outside BMW Apps) from the iPhone plays via USB but if the app has compatible metadata it will show in the iDrive screen (Album Art, album/artist/station).

I think that your issue is your new 4.2 iDrive/Combox setup. Something must have changed in the way the enhanced USB is implemented with the iPod/iPhone that it does not allow any other audio to pipe thru besides the BMW Apps-approved. Or it is simply a bug at the new Combox section.

Which would not surprise me as I found this "feature" buggy because of the same reason above... audio will pass thru but also metadata. But the metadata will pass only once and will stay there regardless of new metadata, app or display at the iPhone. That happens when Pandora is played in a non-BMW apps USB as well.

I would guess that BMW simply eliminated that with the new iDrive USB... with the audio as well.

Last edited by Technic; 01-26-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 7 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
,,,The workaround that many of us use is to buy a beater iPod touch and keep that in the armrest all the time. This way, your iPhone can connect over Bluetooth for phone, text, and streaming while your iPod has your MP3's ready to go. ,,,
BJ
This is what I do. However, when I access BMW Apps (via cradle) I get an error if the iPod USB is simultaneously plugged in. I have to unplug the iPod for BMW Apps to stream. A bit of a hassle but live with it.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I just tried an iPhone 5 and a 4S in my M3, and not only any audio app audio (outside BMW Apps) from the iPhone plays via USB but if the app has compatible metadata it will show in the iDrive screen (Album Art, album/artist/station).

I think that your issue is your new 4.2 iDrive/Combox setup. Something must have changed in the way the enhanced USB is implemented with the iPod/iPhone that it does not allow any other audio to pipe thru besides the BMW Apps-approved. Or it is simply a bug at the new Combox section.

Which would not surprise me as I found this "feature" buggy because of the same reason above... audio will pass thru but also metadata. But the metadata will pass only once and will stay there regardless of new metadata, app or display at the iPhone. That happens when Pandora is played in a non-BMW apps USB as well.

I would guess that BMW simply eliminated that with the new iDrive USB... with the audio as well.

Thanks for checking. Like you, I had no problems doing this in my M3. However, I was always using the cradle interface, but could still override and push audio to the system. And, it even showed metadata for other audio apps.

But this is not a BMW problem. I found some other forums for Spotify where users of Jeeps, etc., run into this problem. Anytime the phone recognizes "Accessory Connected", the phone wants to override with iTunes, instead of Spotify, etc.

Can you check to see if when you're playing iTunes music off an iPhone, does the phone lock you out with Accessory Connected? Or can you still select tracks via the phone, not just the iDrive?

I also just tried the "switch USB plugs" in the center console plan. From the normal USB back connector to swap with the cradle connector. I got to the USB/AUX connectors OK, but couldn't remove the cradle base plate from the center console without fear of breaking it. I felt around below the base plate, and I'm not even sure if that connector type to the cradle is the same as what connects to the USB. The back of the USB port connects via a white circular port. That's not what the connection to the underside of the cradle felt like. It seemed more like a flat pin connection.

Last edited by SamS; 01-26-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM

I did find a solution to my iPhone-iPod-music-overriding-streaming-streaming-services-while-connected-to-USB problem

There may be other/simpler ways, but this seems to work:

1) Launch Pandora (or could be Mog, or other BMW Apps app) BEFORE you start iPhone/iPod playback
2) Start playback of Pandora via ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps.
3) Press Home button on iPhone, launch your streaming app.

The car still seems to think it's in the ConnectedDrive audio menu, as evidenced by the Entertainment details screen. You can now consistently play back any other audio service via your iPhone without the iPod audio overriding what you're doing. Good times! The only drawback so far is lack of ability to skip tracks via the steering wheel. That is OK in my situation, as I have the iPhone docked just ahead of my iDrive knob, so I can change tracks or navigate while stopped.

This is actually better than what I had in my M3 + cradle. When the iPhone is docked in the cradle, it was really impossible to launch an app, change a Live365 preset, etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
When your iPhone is plugged into USB, iDrive assumes you don't want to stream. There is no workaround for this. When you are plugged in via USB, you cannot stream over Bluetooth. Certain apps, like Pandora, allow you to listen to music via the USB connection and not via Bluetooth wireless. Check your individual apps for settings that allow you to toggle between the two.

In general, docking your iPhone to USB is inconvenient in a BMW. The workaround that many of us use is to buy a beater iPod touch and keep that in the armrest all the time. This way, your iPhone can connect over Bluetooth for phone, text, and streaming while your iPod has your MP3's ready to go. An iPod touch can sync to iTunes over Wi-Fi, so you don't even need to bring the iPod into the house to get new content on it or update playlists.

BJ
My 335i M-sport is coming in next week and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the nuances of using the USB vs the bluetooth. If you use an iPod Touch in the armrest while your iPhone is connected via bluetooth, does that limit the BMW apps you can use because most of them don't work through bluetooth and the iPod Touch doesn't have a cellular connection? Said another way, do you lose certain functionality but gain the convenience of not having to plug your phone in everytime? Just trying to figure out exactly how I want to set everything up. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufsteez View Post
My 335i M-sport is coming in next week and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the nuances of using the USB vs the bluetooth. If you use an iPod Touch in the armrest while your iPhone is connected via bluetooth, does that limit the BMW apps you can use because most of them don't work through bluetooth and the iPod Touch doesn't have a cellular connection? Said another way, do you lose certain functionality but gain the convenience of not having to plug your phone in everytime? Just trying to figure out exactly how I want to set everything up. Thanks for all of the help.
Use USB instead of BT. You'll gain charging, added functionality, as well as superior sound quality.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe
Quote:
Use USB instead of BT. You'll gain charging, added functionality, as well as superior sound quality.
Thanks for responding Sam. Apologies if I wasn't very clear, but I definitely plan on using the USB for music and did so when I test-drove the car, however, I'm trying to understand what functionality I would lose with the apps if using an iPod Touch hooked up through the center console and a my iPhone connected via bluetooth, since some have suggested this is the best solution.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for responding Sam. Apologies if I wasn't very clear, but I definitely plan on using the USB for music and did so when I test-drove the car, however, I'm trying to understand what functionality I would lose with the apps if using an iPod Touch hooked up through the center console and a my iPhone connected via bluetooth, since some have suggested this is the best solution.
If you're using Bluetooth connection for your iPhone you will get zero functionality from any of the "BMW Apps". That means no integration for Pandora (thumbs up/down/skip), no FB/Twitter/WikiLocal/etc.

The best method, with zero consequences, is to connect an iPhone via USB. Use BT for phone/text, of course.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Bad news for those waiting on the iPhone 5 snap-in adapter. It has been pushed back to Q3 2013 -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=687428

Tim
Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 328i 2013 Sport Line
Quote:
I use my iPhone 5 for calls and emails/texts only. I connect an iTouch 4 to the USB in the console and use it t access my itunes library, BMW Apps, Pandora, Stitcher and my Calendar. I do not use bluetooth for audio in this configuration, which in fact is disabled by the car whe you use the USB connection. If you connect your iPhone to USB, I believe that you lose the ability to receive emails and texts over iDrive.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermeupscoty View Post
I use my iPhone 5 for calls and emails/texts only. I connect an iTouch 4 to the USB in the console and use it t access my itunes library, BMW Apps, Pandora, Stitcher and my Calendar. I do not use bluetooth for audio in this configuration, which in fact is disabled by the car whe you use the USB connection. If you connect your iPhone to USB, I believe that you lose the ability to receive emails and texts over iDrive.
I don't think so you lose the ability to receive text and email. I have my phone connected to the USB and still receive the txt. I have not been able to get emails on the iDrive don't know what I am doing wrong. But for sure it does not disable the Bluetooth feature completely.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
I don't think so you lose the ability to receive text and email. I have my phone connected to the USB and still receive the txt. I have not been able to get emails on the iDrive don't know what I am doing wrong. But for sure it does not disable the Bluetooth feature completely.
Bluetooth Audio is disabled, but I know that bluetooth altogether is not disabled, as you can still make calls using the car's interface.

I suspect texts come across the USB in some manner because of the Apple message app. While I am among several on this board who have gotten emails to work over bluetooth, I do not think anyone has succeeded in getting emails throught the USB connection.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Time to move back up to the top...I picked up my new iPhone 5, uploaded the BMW Connect App and my Calender is not connected. The iPhone shows the Calender is not accessible, what do I do? I have removed the App and reloaded, but no avail

Do I have to do something on the iPhone or the car to make it work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	374470

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Time to move back up to the top...I picked up my new iPhone 5, uploaded the BMW Connect App and my Calender is not connected. The iPhone shows the Calender is not accessible, what do I do? I have removed the App and reloaded, but no avail

First off, does Text messaging and Email messaging work for you in iDrive (not any app)?

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM
conf t

Mein Auto: 2014 328xdT M Sport
Has anyone had some experience with the new NBT iDrive (the one in the AH3 and F31)? Is the iDevice integration any better?

Current: '14 F31 328d xDrive M Sport.
Gone: '09 E90 328i xDrive.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post

Attachment 374470
I am confused. I assume you can read the calendar on your Iphone independant of iDrive. If so, you need to check you iDrive configuration. Somewhere in settings for Bluetooth or phone there is a check box for Office. Make sure it is checked.