Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
SideShow activist

Mein Auto: 745Li
WOW! Great work Stuart!

Current Lineup:
BMW E31: Air suspension,19x10 / 19x11 Trafficstar
BMWE38:Air suspension,20x10 / 20x12 Forgiato
BMWE65: 22x10 / 22x11 Asanti ELT
Lexus SC400: Single turbo, 19" SRR wheels
Lexus GS300: VIP , Air Suspension,19" WORK wheels
S13 Silvia: WideBody, JDM conversion,SR20det,15" WORK wheels
Lexus LS430 UL:Air Suspension, 20"MAYA DLS

Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftGirl View Post
WOW! Great work Stuart!
Thanks!

Been playing with this again today, I removed the EEPROMS and connected a logic analyser to the first 8 bits of the EEPROM address bus.

The logic analyser connects to A0 - A7, there are 16 address lines in total. I only have an 8 bit logic analyser though

Anyway... when the processor powers up it will instantly address the EEPROM and start executing code. The image below shows the address lines after power up.

For those of you familiar with HEX, the processor first addresses 0x00000001 of the EEPROM and increments the address by 1 every 500 micro seconds. There is no code there as the EEPROM is missing, so the processor just counts up until its reset by the watchdog IC.

This does prove now that the processor is working, before it would randomly hang at power up. I am suspecting an issue with the EEPROM or RAM addressing that is causing the issue.

Its a very strange setup, the RAM and EEPROM do not share the same address or data bus like conventional micro processor systems, and the upper address bits are controlled by flip-flops.

I hope to post the 'FIX' soon so I havent just filled this thread with worthless rubbish! wish me luck!

Stuart
Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
I must say your doing a great job on your
Little project there Stuart

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Thanks PAPER,

My mate reckons the amount of time I have spent on this I could have just filled out a load of online surveys instead and just bought a new amp! he's probably right!

Anyway, I fitted some PLCC32 sockets today so I can swap out EEPROMS easily, The two I removed from the card originally erase OK but one of them fails to program with an addressing issue. This definitely means one of them was faulty. The remaining one does program OK but still causes the processor to hang every now and then. When it does work the EEPROM sends out the right data.

I had a PLCC32 1Mbit intel EEPROM kicking around at work, I plugged that in and the address lines work fine, unfortunately its so old (1993) the new programmer wont program it with the software!

A correction to my earlier post, the EEPROM is addressed from A0 to A16, the start address or reset vector is at 0x00010000, thats where the processor starts reading the code from the EEPROM.

Anyway, I have ordered some new EEPROMS today, but some 3.3V ones instead, on the board you can swap a link so you can use 5V or 3.3V EEPROMS, the system is 3.3V but it uses resistors to protect the CPU from the 5V logic output when using the 5V EEPROMS. If this does ever work again at least the EEPROMS wont be damaged if the PSU goes wrong!

I will update when the new EEPROMS arrive and I get them programmed.

Stuart
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Well, at last I have some good news!

Im trying not to get too carried away but i'm 99% sure Ive fixed it!

I dug out the old EEPROM programmer today and managed to flash some new EEPROMS with the code I managed to read from the old ones.

I fitted them to the board in then new IC sockets and switched ON, the processor giving the problems was addressing the EEPROM OK but the code was not presented on the output. The other EEPROM worked fine

After a bit of head scratching the new EEPROMS have a pin to make them go into a low power shutdown state, this was floating as the original EEPROM does not have this feature. I therefore shorted this to 5V and it started working!

This shows the processor card with the PLCC32 sockets fitted and the new intel EEPROMS (or FLASH memory to be correct). you may be able to see the little link on the left EEPROM. The other EEPROM has a slightly different part number, it seems to work OK with the shutdown pin floating. (this is only temporary till the proper 3.3V FLASH chips arrive).

The watchdog being kicked by the processor, this is the image from the scope thats connected in the previous picture. This is a healthy state and indicates both processors are running and executing the software stored in the memories.

MOST activity is now present at initial power-up for about 15 seconds, it then shuts down and waits till light is present at the fibre input.

And finally a thermal image showing the two processors warming up indicating they are running the code and on the right the DSP processor is also running now communication has resumed between the three processors.

I didnt have time this evening to assemble everything and try it in the car, the amplifier card need re-assembling which I will do tomorrow and try it out in the car. I hope this has fixed it at last!

Stuart
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E90 CLI
You are genius!!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Vito

Mein Auto: 7 series
Hey all I'm no where near as tech savey as u but I pulled mine and I see same corrosion but the rest of the board is fine
Did u ever get it to work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Hello @ all

Stuart you are great Now i have learn somthing more about the L7 System
Before i was replace only the TDA.

odd.....
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 750 LI

thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 735i
Great info on this forum! Priceless.
I'm from Holland and i drive a 2004 735i with logic 7.
Few months ago my right sub was making noise and crackling. My right back door speaker didnt work for a longer time.
For About a week the whole logic 7 shut down and only the ASK works perfect ( replaced a new about a half year ago )
So i ordered the TDA 1562 for the right sub and the TDA 8563 for the back door speakers and soldered it on the board as the instructions on this forum.
I tested the amp but still doesnt work. So I think there is another problem in my amp because the whole amp is not working.
I see a lot of smart people on this forum reparing and experimenting with the logic 7 amp so I hope someone here can help me with my problem.
I'm sorry for my bad english hope you guys know what I mean and can help me with my problem.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci cabriolet
Stuart - i have no idea what you are on about in your posts, but it sounds might impressive and hope it all works!
I've just bought a 645 cab and found the rear right speakers buzzing so looks like i might have a similar amp issue.
I plan to remove it and check for water damage first - whats the best/safest way of cleaning off any corrosion?
Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Ms. AWesome ;)

Mein Auto: E66
STUART was abducted by the BMW team for knowing too much LOL :P
Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: E38 7 series
Hi! Im having a Inssue with my L7 amp, but my problem Isn't the amp chips...its a short in another component.
I has marked it in the picture, I cant find what this component is or the name to search it.
Please if any body knows tell me!...thanks a lot!

Lucio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L7.JPG
Views:	1097
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	383732  
Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Here are logic 7 repair instructions for every 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucio_dohc View Post
Hi! Im having a Inssue with my L7 amp, but my problem Isn't the amp chips...its a short in another component.
I has marked it in the picture, I cant find what this component is or the name to search it.
Please if any body knows tell me!...thanks a lot!

Lucio
Fairchild Semiconductor
HUF76107D

It's a power transistor that regulates the 5V power supply for the processor card.

How you know it's faulty? The amp is basically a write off if this has gone see my previous posts. I managed to get mine back to a semi working state but its intermittent and crackles now and then so I have given up with it.

The design of this power supply is very poor, it's a major weakness in the design, no surprise it was ditched in the later revision of the amp for a switch mode DC-DC power supply, much more robust for this type of application.

Also the later amps manufactured after Q2 of 2006 have proper encapsulated processors (OS8805) not the chip on board crap the first ones had!

In summary the later ones should be much more reliable than the older ones with respect to the actual clever processing bit. Unfortunately the actual amps aren't any better!

Stuart

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 06-26-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Thanks a lot for your answer Stuart,..I think that is this component becuse its extremely hot when the board is conected.
I have the same simptoms as you...the fiber optic board is reseting it self all the time, and when i turn of the car te I-drives continues working and non stop.
Sorry I had not noticed your previous post...I read them..and I have the same problem! :S
Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 PM

No problem, yeah it gets very hot if you run the amp with the card removed from the metal chassis!

You will most likely find that the component is actually OK, the fault lies with either the Zener diode or the little three pin transistor controlling the voltage at the base input of the big transistor that's getting hot.

I would get a multimeter and check the voltage on the processor card, there are two oblong brown chip things near the ribbon connector on the main processor board. These are inductors on the power supplies, one should be 12v another 5v and there should be a pair just above the left processor which should be 3.3v one is analogue supply and the other digital supply for the two oasis processors.

You should also find a -12v supply for the pre amp IC's I have highlighted most of it on a previous post.

Stuart

Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
hello . somebody knows how to read and write internal flash ? chip xs8805b0aq ( os8805). dug the entire Internet . nothing found
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 AM

I decapsulated processor in the old Board of logic7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OQP235c1.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	383793  
Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 AM

Hi,

Are you trying to flash a blank X/OS8805?

I think it can be programmed directly from the MOST interface when blank, the flash files are in the winkfp data folder, try using winkfp to program.

To read I'm unsure, I have seen options in INPA to read flash files from modules not sure if the AMP supports it, be worth checking.

Otherwise you may need a MOST development kit to be able to talk to the processor at low level via the fibre interface.

Interesting work you have done decapsulating the processor! Have you found any other information on the dies? I assume they are somewhere between the OS8804 and OS8805, the original obviously had external EEPROM and a basic D to A for the audio as it required separate pre-amps on a 24V rail to actually drive the main power amplifiers.

What I find interesting is the OS8805 has built in DSP's but they use the Motorola DSP? Perhaps the system designers were more comfortable using the Motorola DSP instead of the ones built into the oasis chips?

Interestingly the older Becker BM54 radios uses a OS8804 which is MOST capable but its not used! However it's there for its DSP and D to A functions.

Stuart

Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 AM

I decapsulated processor to show what is written on the chip . wanted to find a replacement , but in Google no information found . I have not worked with the program winkfp . winkfp be able to find and do the update logic , when a blank flash ?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li

Bump for good find!

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )
Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Stuart is a genius!

Stuart, You are not from Earth man! LOL....My goodness you are an electronics genius. There is no way on GOD's green earth I would have/could have done or gone through all of that. Thanks for all the information....It was quite entertaining and I was rooting for you man. I had to laugh out loud at another comment that said you had been abducted by the BMW people. Good stuff though man. GREAT JOB!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745
Maybe someone has wiring diagram of Logic 7 and could tell original amp chips markings?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li; 2004
StuartJohn24.... thank you.

I don't understand everything you're saying. I've got a little experience in electronics & amplifiers, but what you've cataloged here has given me a bunch of jumping off points to study & increase my knowledge.

Thank you.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Right then....

Been messing around with this at lunchtime today, removed all inductors and capacitors from the amplifier card to eliminate anything there.

I fired the amp up and still a fair bit of current being drawn, reset line on processor card still being pulled low by the watchdog IC every 1.2 seconds.

Decided to have a poke around the board with the scope, noticed the processors were doing "something" so tried the thermal camera on the processor card.

Noticed the EEPROM cooking itself! Checked the 5V rail and found it to be over 9V!

Anyway long story short... The component getting hot on the amplifier card in the corner was the MOSFET for the 5V power supply. When I originally started testing the card the output voltage from the MOSFET circuit was 12V, I didn't think this was abnormal. Little did I know it should have been 5V!

Luckily the three processors and RAM all run on 3.3V and have not been over voltaged.

I therefore tried running the processor card from a separate 5V bench supply.

This provided some hopeful results, the processor is now kicking the watchdog IC and it's no longer resetting every second or so.

I will investigate whats going on with the 5V supply and take it from there.

There is a slim chance it's repairable if the EEPROMS are not damaged. (I don't have the code, and I can't imagine it's easy to get hold of!)

Stuart
Hi Stuart, do you know from what part or the board I can run the processor card from a separate 5V bench supply, in order to know if my procesor card is still in working condition?...thanks a lot!