Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3 Series
Tire Bulge from Pothole, SA says "Its fine, No problem"

I hit a big pothole over the weekend which created a bulge on the sidewall of my right rear tire. I have the tire/wheel warranty and had a similar problem replaced last year on a front tire.

I took the tire in today to the dealer and my SA said, "That is normal, they won't replace that under warranty unless air is escaping. I have a bunch of those on my tires, nothing to worry about."

Is he serious?! I am going to take it to another dealership to get it replaced I guess. I hit a road hazard which damaged my tire, making it unsafe to drive on. That is the whole reason to get the warranty. Why on earth would that not be covered?

Makes me think the SA is a complete moron.
Ads by Google
Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Take a pic of the bulge and send a note to the General Manager or owner of the dealership. All it would take is one accident & lawsuit after that sort of "professional" advice and that dealership could be out of business.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjimmy View Post
I hit a big pothole over the weekend which created a bulge on the sidewall of my right rear tire. I have the tire/wheel warranty and had a similar problem replaced last year on a front tire.

I took the tire in today to the dealer and my SA said, "That is normal, they won't replace that under warranty unless air is escaping. I have a bunch of those on my tires, nothing to worry about."

Is he serious?! I am going to take it to another dealership to get it replaced I guess. I hit a road hazard which damaged my tire, making it unsafe to drive on. That is the whole reason to get the warranty. Why on earth would that not be covered?

Unbelievable.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
Quote:

I had a bubble that was pretty hard to notice, and the dealer replaced the tire under the tire and wheel insurance program no questions ask. Did you get the car and the tire and wheel insurance from the same dealer?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Take a pic of the bulge and send a note to the General Manager or owner of the dealership. All it would take is one accident & lawsuit after that sort of "professional" advice and that dealership could be out of business.
Why take a picture? The OP was in the dealership, he should have escalated it right then and there, first asking for the Service Manager and then the General Manager if necessary. A picture may be worth 1K words, but seeing it in person is worth 1K pictures.

P.S. To the OP: where in "California" are you? What dealer?
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 01-29-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM

No this is a different dealer. This particular dealer is closer to where I work so I usually go here, but I prefer my other dealer.

When I had my other tire replaced on the road trip the SA did say that the warranty company is cracking down so they needed pics and they had to sign off on it before any work could be done. But this was a blatant result of hitting the pothole and it is compromising the safety of the tire! I can't believe he just passed it off like that.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
I agree it would have been best to escalate it right then and there, but since that didn't happen getting the attention of Sr management at the dealership (and having documentation) should get a response that might include a goodwill gesture too. Its worked for me before.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335 cab and 07 X5 3.0
in ny i dont believe you can pass state inspection with a tire bubble.

07 335 cab space gray/saddle
07 Audi A8L sport northern blue/beige
96 Porsche 993 targa
bunch of german cars come and gone
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I hit a pothole and bent a rim and bubbled a tire in the 335 a few years ago. At the time I had tire insurance through Auto Club. They paid for the replacement of the tire and the rim. A year or so later I had a cut in the sidewall of a tire and they paid for that too. When the policy ran out they would not renew it saying that they would no longer insure BMW products. Can't say as I blamed them.

Last year the 335i failed NYS inspection because three if the tires had cuts in the sidewalls. I was planning on replacing them anyway so I wasn't that upset. BMW would only sell me RFTs and would not accept delivery from Tire Rack if I purchased them myself. I purchased 4 new rims (three were bent) and a set of Conti DWS tires and had them installed at Autobahn Service on Park Avenue and had the old rims resurfaced. At some point in the process the rear quarter panel got dented. While the car was in for service last week at BMW Manhattan I had the dent removed using paintless dent removal. They did a perfect job and the dent is gone and I am out $500.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-29-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:

My SA is a complete moron.
ftfy.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Quote:
When I had my other tire replaced on the road trip the SA did say that the warranty company is cracking down so they needed pics and they had to sign off on it before any work could be done.
Sounds like an HMO for your tires.

Pictures are always a good idea, espically with the metadata displayed, establishes the damage and timeline.

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
This is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever read here. Your SA says he has a bunch of bubbles on his tires?

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Ask the SA to put it in writing.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago View Post
in ny i dont believe you can pass state inspection with a tire bubble.

In California one can pass without any tires at all. Bare rims. That's DMV - Highway Patrol has a diff opinion.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:

You're in the gold there.

Have you noticed? SA's are not mechanics, and if they know anything at all it's enough to be dangerous.

Glorified clerks, they're there to shuffle paper and sooth customers, leaving mechanics to do their thing. See, that's the appeal of a small, informed shop. No SA's.

BTW, you're paying for that SA. Does that gall yer stones?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
This is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever read here. Your SA says he has a bunch of bubbles on his tires?

I went to my local dealer when I had the bubble in my tire - I didn't get the car/insurance combo from my local dealer. I was told to they will replace the tire on my own coin and then I will have to take it with the insurance, etc. So I just turned around, went 80 miles up to the dealer I got the car from and it was replaced with no questions asked.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Why take a picture? The OP was in the dealership, he should have escalated it right then and there, first asking for the Service Manager and then the General Manager if necessary. A picture may be worth 1K words, but seeing it in person is worth 1K pictures.

P.S. To the OP: where in "California" are you? What dealer?
+1. Enquiring minds want to know so they can avoid that dealer. If it is NorCal, I can pretty much guess which one. SoCal is another matter.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
+1. Enquiring minds want to know so they can avoid that dealer. If it is NorCal, I can pretty much guess which one. SoCal is another matter.
I have no problem telling you I went to Santa Monica BMW to have the tire replaced yesterday when the SA told me it was fine and that there was no problem. Claimed he has a bunch of these on his tires and unless the tire is losing air the warranty would not replace it.

Today I am taking it to Long Beach BMW where I bought the car to have it replaced. Will update you all with the outcome after today's visit.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
You're in the gold there.

Have you noticed? SA's are not mechanics, and if they know anything at all it's enough to be dangerous.

Glorified clerks, they're there to shuffle paper and sooth customers, leaving mechanics to do their thing. See, that's the appeal of a small, informed shop. No SA's.

BTW, you're paying for that SA. Does that gall yer stones?
You may be interested to know that in most dealerships, the SA is a salesman in their most important profit center. They work on commission, so their incentive is to talk the sucker (oops, customer) into as much (unnecessary) work as they possibly can.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 PM

Update:
Took the car to Long Beach BMW and they replaced the tire under warranty no questions asked. Still shocked the original SA passed it off as no problem. That dealership has lost my business for good.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Update:
Took the car to Long Beach BMW and they replaced the tire under warranty no questions asked. Still shocked the original SA passed it off as no problem. That dealership has lost my business for good.
I feel it would still be a wise idea to inform management at Santa Monica BMW. They may be unaware there is a potential problem.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I have no problem telling you I went to Santa Monica BMW to have the tire replaced yesterday when the SA told me it was fine and that there was no problem. Claimed he has a bunch of these on his tires and unless the tire is losing air the warranty would not replace it.

Today I am taking it to Long Beach BMW where I bought the car to have it replaced. Will update you all with the outcome after today's visit.

To your SA, Mr. Bozo, we say:

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
I had a bubble that was pretty hard to notice, and the dealer replaced the tire under the tire and wheel insurance program no questions ask. Did you get the car and the tire and wheel insurance from the same dealer?
Same here. Bulge in sidewall, no leaking, replaced no questions asked under tire warranty purchased from dealer. Sidewall bulges are a *serious* compromise to tire integrity--especially runflats.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
You may be interested to know that in most dealerships, the SA is a salesman in their most important profit center. They work on commission, so their incentive is to talk the sucker (oops, customer) into as much (unnecessary) work as they possibly can.

Y'know, you're right. But the best salesmen have no need to lie or fudge or say more than they really know. The right sales guy does very well, and has a real interest in doing what's right for his customer, not having to worry about money.

Hard to find. A gem when ya do - don't mind paying a premium for that.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Update:
What surprises me is the SA at Santa Monica passed on the opportunity to write some business. Whether the tire warranty or the customer pays for the new tire, they (the SA) is writing the business. LB got the business instead.

Is business that good at Santa Monica that they can send business elsewhere?