Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: Burbank, CA
Core Exchange Alternator & Water Pump Local

I live in Burbank, CA and own a 2001 325i automatic. I recently replaced my alternator and not so recently replaced the water pump. I have the cores for both of these items. Where can I take them to get the money for the core or at least give them to a proper disposal facility. Of course I wouldn't feel right in putting them in the rubbish (garbage) and I think I can get some money out of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
William
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Probably one of the auto parts store or a dealer would take them and give them to their suppliers to rebuild.
Doubt you could get money for them.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
What kind stores sell rebuilt alternators and water pumps?
I don't know... but who ever sell rebuilt parts, might be interested in yours as well... should just talk to them.
Probably not going to get much money but maybe some little, and mainly get rid of them and know they went to right place.

That kind alternators are sold with 80-100, second hand, got to be worth something if it can be rebuilt.

Last edited by lgr122; 01-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Reman alternators are the norm
Pumps we buy new.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 PM

Thank you all for the insight. I will end up giving them to the proper handlers even if I do not get any money out of it. Doing my part.

Cheers,
William
Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaza77 View Post
Thank you all for the insight. I will end up giving them to the proper handlers even if I do not get any money out of it. Doing my part.
The way I do my part with my old parts is I autopsy them and write a thread about it so that others benefit.

DISA AUTOPSY:

POWER STEERING PUMP AUTOPSY:

EXPANSION TANK AUTOPSY:

RADIATOR AUTOPSY:

HEADLIGHT AUTOPSY:

FSU AUTOPSY:

ABS CONTROL MODULE AUTOPSY:

CATALYTIC CONVERTER AUTOPSY:

WINDOW REGULATOR AUTOPSY:
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 PM

Very nice collection of pics you've created. I learned stuff from them.

And I never knew the type of pump the PS used. Now I see that the shaft probably snaps when fluid gets old and thicker and sticky. Any conclusions we can draw here kiddies?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Very nice collection of pics you've created.
Just to be clear, they weren't all mine - but the point is that, if everyone autopsied their parts before throwing them away, we'd all learn a lot more about our bimmers.

Personally, I've autopsied the cooling system, the power steering filter reservoir, the headlights, and the window regulator. The rest of the pics were from other people's autopsies.

It would be nice to see the OP's autopsy of the alternator, for example.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 10-03-2013, 12:46 AM

I plan on cleaning the alternator, but I did some extensive testing and found out that the alternator is good. I still have it. At the most I'll take it apart and check the brushes and voltage regulator. I'll take pictures for you all.

Cheers,
William
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaza77 View Post
I plan on cleaning the alternator, but I did some extensive testing and found out that the alternator is good. I still have it. At the most I'll take it apart and check the brushes and voltage regulator. I'll take pictures for you all.

Cheers,
William
Put it up for sale on the classifieds on E46Fanatics. Some cash poor college kid will need a cheap replacement sooner or later.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....