Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: m3 x5
Just took my car in for 1 year oil change only have 8k on the odometer Bmw policy is 1 year or 15k
Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Took my 2012 in for recall notice (Software update) my SA advise me to do 1 year service as the car is 1 year 7500 mi. They did software update plus oil change. So its up to your SA, and some are just plain "LAZY NO GOOD".
Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lined View Post
BMW

WTF?!?!? So I show up at the nearest center (which is 30 minutes each way away from my medical school, causing me to miss part of a clincal practice module ) and the guy goes "sorry you're not due for an oil change until 15k/24mo. Uhh, I don't remember it being that way before (and either do my parents who have owned BMWs for the past 15 years).

So I have 5k miles on the car and it is 13 months old. I'm not waiting until next year to change the oil and a FULL service. They checked a few things on the car, but refused to change the oil unless I payed out of pocket for it (not going to happen in this lifetime).

WTF is this. I thought free oil changes were at 15k OR 12 months. Is this some type of new "rule". F*** BMWNA
BMW will replace oil free of charge every 12 months or whenever the countdown reminder indicates an oil change is needed.

If your dealer refused they are idiots and in violation of policy. Find another dealer or asked to speak to the service manager.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Unless you go to the drag strip on weekends, you don't need it."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html
I went to the dragstrip on the weekends and my Blackstone oil analysis looked good at 12kmi on the oil.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Personally I can't stand any so called "policy" change to nickel and dime the buyers of luxury cars in the +$50k level. In our area there is one dealer that jumps on any such nonsense and suddenly start charging for oil top ups etc while the other dealer doesn't. Bring your business to a dealer who appreciates you and your hard earned $$$. Yearly oil changes is expected when you buy a BMW unless you pass the required mileage first. One of BMWs main slogans and advantages is free maintenance. It shouldn't mean insufficient or poor maintenance. Find another dealer.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
I've been getting free annual oil changes from my dealer and I drive about 10k per year. Got the last one as recent as November. They also gave me the option of having the indicator reset or not...if I didn't reset, I'd get another free oil change in about 5k.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
Quote:
Spelling police? Too bad all the tests in life that matter are multiple choice: MCAT, Step 1, Step 2, etc. Next time try contributing in a productive manner rather than sounding like an ass.
Physician checking in. I have yet to treat a patient with a differential diagnosis or list of therapeutic interventions tattooed on their chest optioned out conveniently in choices A) through D).

Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
I've been getting free annual oil changes from my dealer and I drive about 10k per year. Got the last one as recent as November. They also gave me the option of having the indicator reset or not...if I didn't reset, I'd get another free oil change in about 5k.
They should not be resetting indicators prematurely.

There are two different things going on here.

1. BMW will change your oil for free once per year regardless of the indicator - this is called an OIL CHANGE

2. When the indicator shows you are due for oil replacement this is called an OIL SERVICE. More is done to your car during an oil service, inspections, etc. which is why a reputable dealer will not reset the indicator prematurely. I am not sure why a dealer would do this since they get paid either way and this is nothing but a disservice to the customer.

One is free oil the other is scheduled service.

Last edited by chuck92116; 01-30-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdroth View Post
It's "paid" not "payed"

Medical school, huh?
I gotta admit, this actually "was" pretty funny...totally irrelevant, nonetheless funny.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post

1. BMW will change your oil for free once per year regardless of the indicator - this is called an OIL CHANGE

2. When the indicator shows you are due for oil replacement this is called an OIL SERVICE. More is done to your car during an oil service, inspections, etc. which is why a reputable dealer will not reset the indicator prematurely. I am not sure why a dealer would do this since they get paid either way and this is nothing but a disservice to the customer.

Interesting...well, they did ask me if wanted it reset....I just didn't want to have to come back in a few months and another oil change seemed like overkill. I don't think oil service is the same as the major service which is called Inspection. What else do they REALLY do on an oil service vs. a change? Joyride your car and tell you it's fine?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
I gotta admit, this actually "was" pretty funny...totally irrelevant, nonetheless funny.
Haha, I agree. Anyone in medical school has a reason to be proud, but waiving it around in a car forum for no reason says something about the person and in my mind makes them free game for the grammar smackdown.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Haha, I agree. Anyone in medical school has a reason to be proud, but waiving it around in a car forum for no reason says something about the person and in my mind makes them free game for the grammar smackdown.
Hahaha @ "grammar smackdown;" brutal crowd among we fellow festers, eh?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM

On a similar note, we bought my wife's 2012 535i back in March and it now has 15,620mi. However, the dash says oil isn't due for another 2000mi. Any of you guys see this before? Odd?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Quote:
Hahaha @ "grammar smackdown;" brutal crowd among we fellow festers, eh?
Agreed!! Ease up on the poor guy and quit drinking the HATER-aid.

He is in school to save lives, not teach grammar. Heck, we are not supposed to read his secret code doctors handwriting anyway.

Ok, back on topic!

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
On a similar note, we bought my wife's 2012 535i back in March and it now has 15,620mi. However, the dash says oil isn't due for another 2000mi. Any of you guys see this before? Odd?
The condition based service indicator goes by fuel consumed I believe so if she does a lot of highway miles or drives easy it's possible that the oil change interval could be higher I guess...but wow, that seems quite a lot of miles. I remember back when I was doing a lot of track days in my e46 M3, the service advisor would scratch his head and say, hmm, your car is due much sooner than others...I would just smile.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
Quote:
I think it's the ecu and oil condition sensor telling you that you're still good to go. It would be very interesting and a benefit to other members on the forum if you had the dealer tech draw a sample when the oil is drained for the oil service. You can get a test kit with sample jar and instructions from Polaris Labs here -
http://www.polarislabs.biz/store/tes...fm?page=single.

Cost is $28 for the advanced test kit. You send the oil sample to Polaris and they do a complete used oil analysis (uoa) and send you the report by email. If you do it, it would be great to post the results on the forum for info and discussion. Polaris would probably flag one or two items on the report, but believe me that is completely normal - - them just showing you that they are doing their job (they are ultra conservative).

I'm going to post today what is called a virgin oil analysis of the BMW 5w30 that they use in our cars. It will be very helpful in interpreting the uoa results.

By the way, some folks like to recommend Blackstone labs for uoa's - - they are cheaper ($22). The problem is that Blackstone does not measure fuel dilution - - they estimate it using a formula (that often doesn't work, or is very optimistic). Polaris does measure actual fuel dilution using an ASTM test method and equipment. It's an important metric in our BMW's because the N55 uses direct injection and that tends to increase fuel dilution.

Hope all this arcania is of some interest.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
I think it's the ecu and oil condition sensor telling you that you're still good to go. It would be very interesting and a benefit to other members on the forum if you had the dealer tech draw a sample when the oil is drained for the oil service. You can get a test kit with sample jar and instructions from Polaris Labs here -

Cost is $28 for the advanced test kit. You send the oil sample to Polaris and they do a complete used oil analysis (uoa) and send you the report by email. If you do it, it would be great to post the results on the forum for info and discussion. Polaris would probably flag one or two items on the report, but believe me that is completely normal - - them just showing you that they are doing their job (they are ultra conservative).

I'm going to post today what is called a virgin oil analysis of the BMW 5w30 that they use in our cars. It will be very helpful in interpreting the uoa results.

By the way, some folks like to recommend Blackstone labs for uoa's - - they are cheaper ($22). The problem is that Blackstone does not measure fuel dilution - - they estimate it using a formula (that often doesn't work, or is very optimistic). Polaris does measure actual fuel dilution using an ASTM test method and equipment. It's an important metric in our BMW's because the N55 uses direct injection and that tends to increase fuel dilution.

That's good info. I used to do the Blackstone tests back when I tracked my car. Since I don't track anymore and I lease, I don't sweat it and just go by the indicator.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The condition based service indicator goes by fuel consumed I believe so if she does a lot of highway miles or drives easy it's possible that the oil change interval could be higher I guess...but wow, that seems quite a lot of miles. I remember back when I was doing a lot of track days in my e46 M3, the service advisor would scratch his head and say, hmm, your car is due much sooner than others...I would just smile.
Yeah, she drives mostly highway to work and nothing like my driving at WOT lol!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post

Wow, very informative. I would say it's safe to assume your vehicles are in impeccable condition and clean inside/out!

I'll look into this for sure because I am just as curious. Maybe if more festers drove like her then our precious BMWs would run more efficiently! Lol
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post

I'm pretty sure for the pre-doc guy, it's called a prophylactic oil switch. It's like prescribing antibiotics to a perfectly healthy person, you know, just in case.

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingpenM3 View Post
I'm pretty sure for the pre-doc guy, it's called a prophylactic oil switch. It's like prescribing antibiotics to a perfectly healthy person, you know, just in case.
+1

It is just like giving meds, just in case, to a healthy person.

Normal oil change intervals on cars in Europe are twice as long as here. I know this is the case for VWs. Here the factory recommended oci for VWs is 10k mi. In Europe, it's 18k mi (30k klm), same engines , same oils. And the VWs have relatively small sump capacity, 4 or 5 qts. I think double the US oci is true for Porsche and Mercedes in Europe, as well.

I know that a couple of years ago, BMW tried to ween US owners from the annual oil change interval and there was a big hue and cry (as the OP) and going back and forth on this policy has confused some SA's too.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
BMW continues to amaze me. Just got my car back from service because the service reminder finally wound down to zero. Got another oil change plus brake fluid change and a micro filter. That makes the third oil change I've had since June 2012 or in 13,000 miles. How does that make any sense? They make me wait for the first for a year, but give me three in a nine month period. Good thing is I never have to add oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
Had my oil changed in June 2012 after 12 months. SA said you don't have to wait on mileage for the first change. Strange thing though is they can't reset the service reminder, so I got another free change after 5,000 miles. They then reset the service reminder, but after reset it said service required in 4,800 miles or March 2013. So now I'm down to 2,000 and will be bringing it in again for service in March. Who knows, probably get another free oil change. That will make it 3 in 12 months. I told my SA none of this makes sense and he told me he knows, but he just has to follw the remiders (the car knows) and BMW's program. Go figure.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
BMW

WTF?!?!? So I show up at the nearest center (which is 30 minutes each way away from my medical school, causing me to miss part of a clincal practice module ) and the guy goes "sorry you're not due for an oil change until 15k/24mo. Uhh, I don't remember it being that way before (and either do my parents who have owned BMWs for the past 15 years).

So I have 5k miles on the car and it is 13 months old. I'm not waiting until next year to change the oil and a FULL service. They checked a few things on the car, but refused to change the oil unless I payed out of pocket for it (not going to happen in this lifetime).

WTF is this. I thought free oil changes were at 15k OR 12 months. Is this some type of new "rule". F*** BMWNA
Call BMWUSA customer service at: 1-800-831-1117. They will tell you what you need to know.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdroth View Post
It's "paid" not "payed"

Medical school, huh?
[/thread]
Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
You guys can't pass an opportunity to bash a doc even after he upped your Viagra to 100mg

Quick oil change question. So, does the car dictate the "oil service"? Of course that would be based on driving habits and conditions. Just curious if I have to force myself to stop thinking of oil changes in terms of mile intervals.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)