Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 93 318i
Project Log First Bimmer 318i DD

Purchased my first bimmer last thursday for 700. Its a 1993 318i Bought it from a family that just wanted it out the driveway. Husband bought wife a new audi and she jus had no more use for it. Its a 5 speed that has 270K miles on it. They werent really big car ppl but kept a record of all maintenance. Basically anytime they heard a noise it was put in the shop so maintenance is basically up to date...but im still going to address the common issues these cars seem to have. I originally was lookin for an e39 but couldnt pass this up after going to see it & test driving it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

Plans for this project:
Re-do suspension Making this my daily driver so im looking for a comfortable drive. I've been searching and it sounds like Koni srt.t with stock springs should be a comfortable ride. What else should i look into replacing while im redoing suspension

Re-do cooling system car has 270K miles jus figure it would be a good idea to get it out of the way now.

Changing Blower Motor & Resistor already on the way hopefully solves problem with no heat checked fuses already.

Fix front passenger door doesnt want to open. *FIXED*

Change weatherstripping around front and rear windshields. It looks like they put some kind of goo around it.

Fix front passenger window it struggles to go down stops quarter of the way from top and when you put it back up goes off track.

Change to m3 bumpers & sideskirts with roof spoiler & ac-s trunk spoiler

Tint

Clear coat is peeled off so repaint same color with spoiler & bumper & sideskirts same color

Here are some pics first day home havent even cleaned it yet

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358870098246.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	358754  

Last edited by B1mm3rB; 02-02-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: update
Ads by Google
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Welcome to the fest!

Love the color. Calypso is sort of unusual. Not rare, but not as common as black or silver. Not crazy about the gray skirts or black wheels though. That can be changed if you so desire.

Look through those maintenance records and see when the cooling system was last overhauled. If it's more than ~75k miles, it's due.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Yea the wheels & skirts are definitely getting changed not fan of them either. When i checked the records it had been done in 2012 but i didnt look at the miles still gonna do it myself just for reassurance its at 270K miles & its the original engine/tranny.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 328i, M3, 325is M-Tech
I have a 96 318i. One thing about the M42/44 engines is that they last almost forever when well taken care of. If the water pump and radiator were taken care of, along with the thermostat, hoses, expansion tank, you're good to go. Just focus on getting some stock rims on that car, get rid of the grey side skirts, and that ugly wing on the back. It's not even for a BMW.

People dog on the 318i a lot because of the lackluster power of a regular 6-cyl BMW, but for long trips, daily driver duty, and Sunday cruises, I love the car. Plus also it was a one-owner car and the original owner had it since 97. The car was in immaculate shape. I will convert it to a 6cyl in the future. But for now, the engine is more than awesome, especially with today's gas prices going on the up and up with no end in sight.

Better yet, anyone know if an S14 engine would fit in an OBD 1 car?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
I have a 96 318i. One thing about the M42/44 engines is that they last almost forever when well taken care of. If the water pump and radiator were taken care of, along with the thermostat, hoses, expansion tank, you're good to go. Just focus on getting some stock rims on that car, get rid of the grey side skirts, and that ugly wing on the back. It's not even for a BMW.

People dog on the 318i a lot because of the lackluster power of a regular 6-cyl BMW, but for long trips, daily driver duty, and Sunday cruises, I love the car. Plus also it was a one-owner car and the original owner had it since 97. The car was in immaculate shape. I will convert it to a 6cyl in the future. But for now, the engine is more than awesome, especially with today's gas prices going on the up and up with no end in sight.

Better yet, anyone know if an S14 engine would fit in an OBD 1 car?
Basically my exact thoughts when i bought it body is in really good shape the engine/trans hasnt shown any problems. Got it to clean it up and make it my daily driver, its my first manual drive car also. Only thing wrong right now is cant get front passenger door open and the blower wont come on. Pretty sure its dead she said sometimes it would come on sometimes it wouldnt.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1mm3rB View Post
Basically my exact thoughts when i bought it body is in really good shape the engine/trans hasnt shown any problems. Got it to clean it up and make it my daily driver, its my first manual drive car also. Only thing wrong right now is cant get front passenger door open and the blower wont come on. Pretty sure its dead she said sometimes it would come on sometimes it wouldnt.

For the blower motor, may want to consider replacing the resistor.

As far as the passenger door, does it open from in the inside or outside? It may be your actuator. Not that hard, but it is a pain to maneuver it inside and out. Either that or the lock itself.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 AM

Door doesnt open at all outside handle feels like its not attached at all, inside handle feels like its almost close to opening but jus wont. I think its just the latch the driver side door had acted up when i went to buy it (perfect timing helped knock the price down) sprayed lubricant on latch & its working fine now.
The blower im gonna go through & test all possibilities before takin it apart & testing it once i get a lil warmer weather 0 degrees at the moment

Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Is there a way to check the blower motor without taking everything apart first???
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 325I
Did you get the handle fixed? Also your best bet is to just replace the blower motor and resistor it's an old car and chances are they are going to need to be replaced. Plus if you replace them now you won't have to worry about them anytime soon. If you don't want to spend full price on new ones check a junk yard.

Last edited by hunter94; 01-28-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM

Thats a good point previous owner never mentioned replacing the blower motor so might as well jus replace it pretty sure its due for it anyway. Didnt get the passenger open yet. had found a deal on a driver seat & drove to get that over the weekend. Mine original one was ripped & the driver side heated seat wasnt working but the passenger side is.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Thats a good point previous owner never mentioned replacing the blower motor so might as well jus replace it pretty sure its due for it anyway. Didnt get the passenger open yet. had found a deal on a driver seat & drove to get that over the weekend. Mine original one was ripped & the driver side heated seat wasnt working but the passenger side is.

Yea I mean it would just be your best bet to replace them. Have you pulled the door panel off and looked inside the door? The handle system on the 93 e36s are a bit sketchy.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM

I have the door panel off but havent messed with it much. The outside handle isnt connected at all the inside handle is connected but jus not pulling all the way.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM

Have you tried manually pulling the long metal rod that connects to the inside handle? That might open the door to help you figure out the issue.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Nope havent tried that yet? Will try that tomorrow. Hopefully that works cuz this would be a lot easier wit the door open

Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM

Alright, keep us posted. And if you have any other questions or concerns just holler.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM

Updated first post with plans for this project. Any input & advice is appreciated, especially on where to get the items im looking for a good price or things to look out for.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 AM
BMW CCA Member

The weather stripping around the rear windshield can be done without pulling out the rear windscreen. It requires plenty of liquid soap detergent for washing dishes and working from the top and moving downward. It's painful without the tool that looks like a heel spur, but can be done with patience.

As far as the passenger side door lock, once you get it open, it sounds like you need to put some lithium grease in there and let it settle in to lubricate everything. BTW, does the power lock work for it on that side? If not, might as well take care of the actuator as well while the panel is off. Just unplug, pull off, put the new one on, plug it up, good to go.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 AM

Yea i found the write up for the rear windshield gonna order the weatherstripping today. Is the front windshield the same or do you have to take it out to change the weatherstripping???

The actuators are working fine jus think i need to get it open & lube it up like u said

Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 AM
BMW CCA Member

The front windshield needs to be removed if you are going to replace the seal around it, unfortunately. But the bottom cowel piece is simple enough for sedans. On coupes, it is a nightmare to get the two tabs at the far end of the cowel to go in and underneath the windshield. Some people just cut off the tabs since they serve no real purpose as it is.

For anyone else interested, this is SUPER easy to do:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1736909

The plastic tool can be found at harbor fright, primitive auto, pep girls, etc.

Last edited by hnaz; 01-30-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM

Any tips for getting this door open outside handle is broken. The inside door handle works door jus not opening.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM

SUCCESS!!! Got the passenger door open. Wish i would have been a little more patient wouldnt have broken inside handle. But like i thought the latch was just stuck. I took the door panel off & removed the weatherstripping on the middle pillar to expose the door latch. Sprayed a bunch of wd40 into the latch and it opened right up. I was wrong about the outside handle though. It does work you just have to push the handle back down after opening the door. Im going to guess this is just a broken spring??? What should i use to lubricate the latch since wd40 dries up over time??? Will post pics just in case it might help anyone else.

This is right after getting the door open

Here is where i sprayed the wd40 to get the door open. Removed the door panel and pull backed the weatherstripping to access the latch. Sprayed it in there let it sit for a second then opened right up

Last edited by B1mm3rB; 02-02-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: update with pics
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM

Quick question does your mileage stay with your gauge cluster or is it saved with the car? May need to change gauge cluster but want to keep original mileage. The overlay is peeling off on the gas and temp gauges...

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Quick question does your mileage stay with your gauge cluster or is it saved with the car? May need to change gauge cluster but want to keep original mileage. The overlay is peeling off on the gas and temp gauges...

It's saved in your CPU I believe. It should be fine.

Last edited by hunter94; 02-03-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 PM

Got some more work in today. Got the new blower motor put in but now having idle issues when i turn on my heat. So have to figure that and did some de-uglyfying. Took off the sunroof cover and that ugly wing. Looks 10x better already in my opinion. Will be figuring out this idle issue, it may have to just adjust the throttle cable in the middle of re-installing blower motor realized i was leaning on it, And probably putting on tint the next couple of days

Before

After

Wing Before

Wing After

Old 02-28-2013, 06:41 PM

Also are these vents on the side of the blower motor always supposed to stay open???

Nevermind this post i was just extra paranoid as i usually am with working on something new, but i figured out how it works, but couldnt figure out how to delete this post so just edited it...

Last edited by B1mm3rB; 03-01-2013 at 01:57 PM.