Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Is AA-US Airways Merger Really Imminent?

Reuters is reporting things are progressing, but this is my take on why it's not a merger until the fat lady signs (or signs).

American-US Airways Merger Negotiations: Major Issues Yet to be Overcome

Quote:
Past Attempts to Merge Recall That Nothing Is Final Until the Fat Lady Sings

Reuters is reporting that American Airlines and US Airways are in the final stages of negotiating a merger, although the two issues that have yet to be resolved are somewhat thorny.

Reuters cites four sources that report that the final price and the merged company’s management structure have yet to be resolved. If the two sides come to terms, a merger could be announced within two weeks, the people said.

The two open issues, however, are fraught with contention and have been sticking points since the beginning....

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Custom User ***le Removed

Mein Auto: 2012 128iC
Great two terrible airlines merging to make one huge terrible airline!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
With airlines it's all relative. American has treated me very well as a multi-year exec platinum just as United did when I was a multi-year global services flyer with that airline. Flyers without much in the way of status don't make out so well with most of the US majors, that's not in dispute, but credit where it's due and for me American has been pretty good. With that said, I'm not particularly happy about the proposed merger as I've long considered US Airways to be one of the poorer US majors.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
I have flew both, they're decent not that terrible IMO. Services were okay but they did concerned about my comfort. It's that all I asked for anyway. One time they overbooked and put me into first class. No complain there.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
With airlines it's all relative. American has treated me very well as a multi-year exec platinum just as United did when I was a multi-year global services flyer with that airline. Flyers without much in the way of status don't make out so well with most of the US majors, that's not in dispute, but credit where it's due and for me American has been pretty good. With that said, I'm not particularly happy about the proposed merger as I've long considered US Airways to be one of the poorer US majors.
+1

Multiyear EXP here too. Actually 24k to date this year (!!!!)

A good friend went through the United merger, and it was horrendous....

I expect the same when AA gets stuffed into US Airs' 'mindset'

A
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
I hope so. I'm looking forward to extended cities in Europe for my AA miles. Service is not important to me, but getting me there and back safely is.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-27-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Driving around somewhere

Mein Auto: nothing at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
+1 Another EXP here and I fear a merger between these two for the same reasons; US is abysmal. I read one article that said one condition of the merger was that US management wanted to be in charge of the new airline. Ugh. It seems like AA is on a good run of re-inventing itself with the increased leg room in parts of coach, new planes, new fare structure, etc. I would just hate to see any of the recent gains wiped out.

To play to your point Dave, the condition of some US plane interiors is so poor that I did wonder about my safety on more than a few of them!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm a Mac

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
a merger between these two losers is inevitable. it's just a question of time.

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
The US airline industry needs to consolidate and I have a hunch that the merger will eventually happen.

I don't fly US carriers as a lot (I always opt for the foreign airlines internationally), but I've been okay with US Airways for shorter flights along the east coast. Plus I'm close to CLT which is US Airways' hub so fares and destinations are plentiful, plus I like the fact they fly a predominately Airbus fleet. I haven't flown on AA or Delta in over a decade; US Airways provides an acceptable level of service for me.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I suspect a 95% probability this merger will fly.

Mergers suck beyond belief for passengers and employees. Given that US Airways still logistically functions with separate operational structures for legacy US and legacy America
West, the infusion of yet another difficult culture will be problematic.

This may prove far more confounding than United/Continental and Delta/Northwest.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
As an AA frequent flyer since 1985, this got to be good for me...

Instead, passengers on the newly merged airline will be able to fly across a vastly expanded map that would likely include US Airways' East Coast hubs of Charlotte and Philadelphia and American's strong international presence across the Atlantic and in Latin America. The combined carrier will also likely stick with American's frequent-flier program, the industry's oldest and one of its most popular.

"In the short term, frequent fliers will benefit from more routes and more choices, and a management that will likely want to reassure them that the benefits they're used to won't change,'' says Gary Leff, co-founder of the frequent-flier community

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.