Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Slammed E39!

Mein Auto: 03' 530i
Need help, radio and turn signal relay is not working

Well I just got my car back from getting the m5 mirrors and my lip painted. Everything looks great, but got a problem with my radio and cluster. On my cluster the turn signals are not blinking, but when i do signal the lights outside do work. And the radio it is just out, I tried turn it on by pressing the volume button but got nothing. Please help! I check the fuses in the glove box and everything is still good.
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 540i/6
I had my radio and turn signals go TU when my 6CD changer broke. I figure the CD changer was flooding one of the car's computer buses with garbage messages causing other things not to work. It was really strange.

I wonder if your new mirrors are doing the same thing? If not the mirrors, then perhaps disconnect the CD changer and see if tha is it -its free and easy to do yourself.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Slammed E39!

Well the thing is I don't have a cd changer.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: '98 540i/6
Can you easly disconnect the mirrors? Otherwise the best option may be a dealer because presumably their diagnostic computer will see what the faulty messages are (unless you know a 'hack the i-bus' yahoo group member).
Old 01-17-2007, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 97 328is & m3, 07 335i
same problem but my radio and cd changer dont work. No power to get the magazine out either. I previously removed my cd changer but its back in now.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Slammed E39!

So did you end up plugging the cd changer back in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
I had my radio and turn signals go TU when my 6CD changer broke. I figure the CD changer was flooding one of the car's computer buses with garbage messages causing other things not to work. It was really strange.

I wonder if your new mirrors are doing the same thing? If not the mirrors, then perhaps disconnect the CD changer and see if tha is it -its free and easy to do yourself.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: e39 540i
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw530i_408 View Post
Well I just got my car back from getting the m5 mirrors and my lip painted. Everything looks great, but got a problem with my radio and cluster. On my cluster the turn signals are not blinking, but when i do signal the lights outside do work. And the radio it is just out, I tried turn it on by pressing the volume button but got nothing. Please help! I check the fuses in the glove box and everything is still good.

Did you ever get this problem resolved...if so how...as I am having the same trouble...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530
Did anyone find a solution. Got the same problem. Thx
Old 02-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
I just had the same thing happen with my ICE Ipod adapter. Had brought my battery inside my house to warm up, re-installed and then ran into the problem.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Beamerlover

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
I am having similar issues. My signals are working randomly and just today, I went to start my car and the 4 ways were on on the outside markers but nothing was showing on the dash or the button for the 4ways. My signal seem to be working on the markers but they are not flashing on the dash. I'm also getting my seat belt light and warning signal indicating I don't have my seat belt on...even though I do. Aslo my fog light indicator flickers lately too.
Does someone thinks it might be a battery issue?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
When I last changed my battery, similar things happened. Don't ask my why! It is the lovely E39 electrical gremlins.

What fixed my problem? Well, I disconnected the battery ground cable for 5 min, then reconnect, then voila, everything was back to life.
Try it and report back so others can benefit from it.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Beamerlover

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
No luck. I disconnected the negative for about 2 hours and still the same. Would a battary cause this issue?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to BMW1983
Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Same issue for me. Just appeared the other day after sitting in my garage over night. Radio worked fine the night before and then when I started my car, the radio was playing but no radio display. I also noticed the turn signal indicators didn't work, the fog light indicators didn't work, and now I just noticed the reverse lights don't work. The brake lights, headlights, and turn signals outside the car all work however. I do have a DICE Ipod installed. I am going to take it out, reconnect my cd changer and leave my battery disconnected for a few. I am skeptical however, since I have had the DICE in my car for over a year with no problems.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport; 00 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW1983 View Post
Same issue for me. Just appeared the other day after sitting in my garage over night. Radio worked fine the night before and then when I started my car, the radio was playing but no radio display. I also noticed the turn signal indicators didn't work, the fog light indicators didn't work, and now I just noticed the reverse lights don't work. The brake lights, headlights, and turn signals outside the car all work however. I do have a DICE Ipod installed. I am going to take it out, reconnect my cd changer and leave my battery disconnected for a few. I am skeptical however, since I have had the DICE in my car for over a year with no problems.
I found out that my Icelink Plus iPod adapter was causing my problem. Please post whether it was the DICE as I am considering replacing my dead Icelink with a DICE. Here my post from few hours ago: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...67#post4857467
Old 01-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to BMW1983
Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Car = Fixed. Finally figured this all out. The problem was a connector to the CD changer in the trunk. I had unplugged the CD changer about 1 1/2 years ago when I installed my DICE Ipod kit in the dash. The connector had a good amount of corrosion across 2 of the 3 terminals. I snipped the connector off and instantly everything works perfectly.

This may not be a fix for everyone because as I have read more and more about this issue, the common problem seems to be the CAN bus or K bus. There are multiple circuits feeding into this wire bus and anything can cause the problem. Basically, the short across the terminals of the connector was creating a permanent draw on the system which resulted in me only seeing about .5volts at the radio and mid fuses.

I'm glad this is over with and a little ticked off at myself since I am the one who left the wire just hanging there. Moisture must have gotten to the energized and exposed connector over time and caused it.

Last edited by BMW1983; 01-18-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2001' e39 525d SE Touring
Electronic gremlins, BLINK/ Non-blink, Radio, Remote lock Self-level suspension fail

Hi Dear Electric Gremlin busters!? Help...please...much appreciated
New to this forum but found some of the replies really really helpful and thought I should post my issues and any possible solutions/ I will post follow-up as I work to solve this. If any of you have succesfully resolved and not posted, please share your solutions.

I have the same BLINK/ Non-blink issues issues, but different other issues on my Touring/ Wagon also

- Blinkers, outside working, not on dashboard,
- Warning light for self-levelling suspension has come on, suspension does not pump itself up when Touring/ Wagon loaded
- Remote locking (via Key) not working
- Radio is working, but not the CD changer.
- PDC (parking sensors did not work, now working again)

the central locking came on first, then the blinking issue on the motorway, initially 3 seconds delayed, then it failed, later the suspension light and when we got to the destination, the PDC did not work. Whats next? Self-destruct?

Took the Car to BMW, Battersea this AM, having checked fuses, they said they will diagnose it, but it could be expensive , so I thought twice about leaving the car there.

Will try the neutral disconnect when wife back from inlaws in a few days with newborn. Any other helpful hints in the meantime much appreciated.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Officially Bimmerfested

Mein Auto: '01 530i
I just had the same problem. Internal signal lights not working. No radio nor CD player. Power locks not working. Then I read a thread in the 3-series forum about issues with non-OEM electronics being added.

I unplugged my Dension iceLink, which I've installed around 3-4 years ago, from the trunk's CD changer connectors. Then everything started working!

Pictured above: Smart Car circa 1955.
'01 530i, ///M Sports Package, Xenon lights, Steptronic A/T, icelinkPlus iPod module
'04 328i, Sports Package, Xenon lights, Dice iPod module
Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i (E39)
Had the same issue...

I had the same issue on my 02 525i. I disconnected the Dension iceLink adapter I had connected to the cd changer port and the blinkers started to work again! I had also used those dust sprays for electronics to blow out the dust in the amplifier and that fixed the stereo problem. One dilemma I have now is what's wrong with my iceLink ipod adapter! Anyone have a fix for it because I see a lot of people are having the same issue ipod adapters.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 x5 & 2005 530
Smile Had the same issue but with Blitzsafe adapter...

Just thought I'd chime in on a similar experience with my 01 x5. Came out this morning and found the self-leveling inactive error, no turn signal indicators, no radio display, etc.

Fearing the worst, I started searching and thankfully found this thread. Seeing the posts talking about an icelink ipod adapter being the culprit, I thought maybe my Blitzsafe AUX adapter could be guilty.

Sure enough, unplugged the adapter from the cd changer & power connectors in the rear and everything returned to normal. I've plugged the adapter back in and everything still seems fine, so we'll see if the problem re-appears.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i Sport
Same issue...

Hi Guys, Just thought I would say thanks for the help and let everyone know that I had the same issue but with stock OEM parts in my '01 540iA Sport.

I have the stock deck with the single 'Business ' CD and DSP. Radio didnít work and as others, the turn indicator in the cluster didnít work. (I didnít check the central lock or fog lights before fixing...)

After removing and reseating the 3 connectors on the radio/amp unit in the trunk, these items began working again. w00t!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 1997 528i
Guys help me I have been having similar problems!

Radio lights and radio not workign
Turn signal indicator lights not working

I took some photos, where is the adapter that I am supposed to be fixing? I am not the original owner of this vehicle and it has been modded by someone else long time ago.

Please help me, I am a noob
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Had the same problems with my 97 528i. Disconnected battery, left neg cable off for an hour, reconnected it tight...all working fine now.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Touring Dude
Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW1983 View Post
Car = Fixed. Finally figured this all out. The problem was a connector to the CD changer in the trunk. I had unplugged the CD changer about 1 1/2 years ago when I installed my DICE Ipod kit in the dash. The connector had a good amount of corrosion across 2 of the 3 terminals. I snipped the connector off and instantly everything works perfectly.

This may not be a fix for everyone because as I have read more and more about this issue, the common problem seems to be the CAN bus or K bus. There are multiple circuits feeding into this wire bus and anything can cause the problem. Basically, the short across the terminals of the connector was creating a permanent draw on the system which resulted in me only seeing about .5volts at the radio and mid fuses.

I'm glad this is over with and a little ticked off at myself since I am the one who left the wire just hanging there. Moisture must have gotten to the energized and exposed connector over time and caused it.

I have been tearing my hair out for the past week with the same problem in my Wagon, TG I found this thread, tonight I unplugged my Dension iceLink that has been in there for 5 or 6 years and that solved the problem. I had low battery voltage due to low water (whoops) I wonder if that caused the problem in the first place?

BMWCCA Member #104602

"View My Garage" for all my other toys

Old 06-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: '98 528i/5, '02 525iA
I had the radio, turn signal, and A/C did not work issue. I have two times unplugged the battery and it resolved the issue only to come back later. After reading this I unplugged the aftermarket iPod adapter and everything was normal upon disconnect. Thank you Bimmerfest.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: X5 02
I have the same problem, no indicator tick, no high beam indicator light, radio won't turn off if its on (even with car turned off and no key in ignition) and won't turn on if it is off. It happens when I have the centre console lid open. Close the lid and everything back to normal. Crazy car : )