Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
aspen aspen is offline
Registered User
Location: sheffield, UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: BMW 520d Msport F10
Rear wheel wobble at 70 - 80mph

Good job I haven't had a chance to do my audio upgrade yet, my car has developed an interesting fault.

It feels like out of balance wheels on the back end!

But after 2 separate places dynamically balancing them its not that, anyone had this issue?

So frustrating.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Haitoman Haitoman is offline
Haitoman
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Haitoman
Mein Auto: 2012 F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen View Post
Good job I haven't had a chance to do my audio upgrade yet, my car has developed an interesting fault.

It feels like out of balance wheels on the back end!

But after 2 separate places dynamically balancing them its not that, anyone had this issue?

So frustrating.
I've just been down this route...Dealer replaced my rear Pirelli P-Zero RFTs under warranty.
__________________
Currently in the driveway :

2012 F10 535i M-Sport Carbon Black
2006 520d Touring Montego Blue Metallic
2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black Hard Top Vert
2002 E46 330i M-Sport Titanium Silver Just sold !!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Look down the page at the "wheel vibrations" thread.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM
aspen aspen is offline
Registered User
Location: sheffield, UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: BMW 520d Msport F10
Unhappy

Well today they told me it was in my head. And the vibration was just a class effect of run flat tyres and cold weather.

Not happy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 PM
elitex elitex is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 115
Mein Auto: 2013 M3, 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen View Post
Well today they told me it was in my head. And the vibration was just a class effect of run flat tyres and cold weather.

Not happy
lol, now that's funny. I am not the only one they tried this on. Try another dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM
aspen aspen is offline
Registered User
Location: sheffield, UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: BMW 520d Msport F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
lol, now that's funny. I am not the only one they tried this on. Try another dealer.
Huge update!!!

So I took the car back, explained I used to be a helicopter engineer and know a bit about rotational vibration. And if the polish mechanic tried to fob me off again they could keep the bloody car, it's not a class effect. And they all need retraining!

The sales manager heard the comotion, took my car out, came back and nearly sacked the polish guy!

2 days on and it turns out both my rear wheels ARE buckled, and are being replaced.

Honestly, how does that happen.

I'll feedback when I test drive it with new wheels, I'm sure it'll be fine then
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Haitoman Haitoman is offline
Haitoman
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Haitoman
Mein Auto: 2012 F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen View Post
Huge update!!!

So I took the car back, explained I used to be a helicopter engineer and know a bit about rotational vibration. And if the polish mechanic tried to fob me off again they could keep the bloody car, it's not a class effect. And they all need retraining!

The sales manager heard the comotion, took my car out, came back and nearly sacked the polish guy!

2 days on and it turns out both my rear wheels ARE buckled, and are being replaced.

Honestly, how does that happen.

I'll feedback when I test drive it with new wheels, I'm sure it'll be fine then
Been there, done that...I have two spare rims with nothing wrong with them...It was the tyres.
__________________
Currently in the driveway :

2012 F10 535i M-Sport Carbon Black
2006 520d Touring Montego Blue Metallic
2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black Hard Top Vert
2002 E46 330i M-Sport Titanium Silver Just sold !!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:26 PM
aspen aspen is offline
Registered User
Location: sheffield, UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: BMW 520d Msport F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitoman View Post
Been there, done that...I have two spare rims with nothing wrong with them...It was the tyres.
Oh, we'll now my moment of joy is smashed

They did say they'd keep looking if that didn't fix it though. God I hope that fixes it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
snj1013 snj1013 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 541
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
So when you had the tires dynamically balanced, I assume this is not a Road Force Balance where bent wheels would exert excessive road forces.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 PM
aspen aspen is offline
Registered User
Location: sheffield, UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: BMW 520d Msport F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
So when you had the tires dynamically balanced, I assume this is not a Road Force Balance where bent wheels would exert excessive road forces.
No it's really hard to find anywhere that does that in the UK.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms