Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
BMW X3 3.0sd chip tunning

Hi everybody...
I have a 2006 BMW X3 3.0sd, and I'm thinking of buying a RACECHIP from www.racechip.de but I'm not sure if this is a good idea, and if there are any negative effects to the car. The power will be increased from 286hp to 360hp, and fuel consumption will be reduced up to 1 l/100km. Has anyone tryed it before?_a_
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Number one concern would be the extra torque killing your transmission. When I had my ECU remapped it boosted power and torque to sd levels so I was not worried too much about the transmission (same box).

Second concern, I do not read Danish so not sure what these things are doing but probably attaching to the common rail fuel pressure sensor like many other tuning boxes. The better tuning boxes also interface to the turbo. None however work as well as an ECU remap. I have done both (spider tuning box and currently with super chip remap) and the remap is far far better. Tuning boxes are good for in warranty periods - they can be removed before service in the belief that the modification is not detectable (do not believe it though) - but I do not imagine you are still under warranty.

Lastly the tuning box will add more fuel that the ECU knows about. The effect of this is that the ECU is not adding as much fuel as normal and the engine management reports improved fuel consumption while in fact you ARE using the same or even more fuel. e.g. my trip computer reported 6.5ltr/100km with the tuning box and 7.0 without. ie do not believe your trip computer if you go this route (or if you do do not rely on distance to empty ;-)

Lastly . .why? You have an sd. Mine 3.0d is insane to drive with similar power and torque as the stock sd and you want more???? yikes . . .
Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
That kind of change in power means a lot of extra boost and I would really worry about detonation. If the block and/or head are aluminum then I would foresee problems. We did a dinan cip on an e36 which bumped HP a mear 10% and we got pinging after a year. So I pulled the chip before I blew something up. I think you are really setting yourself up for some really expensive repair bills.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Well, thanks very much, because I was not shure about this change and that kind of power (360hp) confuzet me, so I thought that it wouldn't be good for car, and also I don't understand what does it menas to REMAP. Can anyone explain it to me?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
That kind of change in power means a lot of extra boost and I would really worry about detonation. If the block and/or head are aluminum then I would foresee problems. We did a dinan cip on an e36 which bumped HP a mear 10% and we got pinging after a year. So I pulled the chip before I blew something up. I think you are really setting yourself up for some really expensive repair bills.
um diesel ;-)

diesel means more fuel = more power until unburnt fuel goes out the exhaust. No particulate filter on this vintage to die. Cat may die though.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leka View Post
Well, thanks very much, because I was not shure about this change and that kind of power (360hp) confuzet me, so I thought that it wouldn't be good for car, and also I don't understand what does it menas to REMAP. Can anyone explain it to me?
I will have a go. The engine management has a three dimensional map that connects things like fuel volume, air volumes, throttle position, speed sensors etc to power and torque. The position in the map changes with load on the motor and speed. The manufacturers map is conservative to allow for different fuel quality and also a manufacturer can deliberately keep power / torque down to differentiate models that use the same motor. So a re-map changes the relationships above to produce more power and more torque for a given throttle position. The remaps are often tested to not stress the motor.

How did I do? to other with more knowledge please chip in . .

For me I reprogrammed via the OBD port in the driver footwell. Plugged the programmer in, it reads and saves the current firmware revision and map. Then I sent this detail to Superchip in the UK by connecting the programmer to a PC. Superchip sent me back a new map that is loaded in the programmer with the existing factory map. Connect the programmer to the OBD port again and re-program the management system. I can revert to stock by selection in the programmer any time I want. Programming takes about 5 minutes.

The advantage of a remap is that the management system knows what is going on. If stability control is activated, the management knows what is happens with engine torque as well as brakes. Tuning boxes break this close cooperation. More torque is actually present than the ECU knows about and stability control is compromised.