Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna330cic View Post
Melrose - if that comment was directed at me, it was pretty obnoxious and unnecessary. Some of us care about how the car sounds when we drive it - especially at $50K price levels.

Doug
Doug, I think many are saying the 3s are designed this way, many are attracted to such characteristics, should have test driven different brands before landing on a $50k 328ix.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Doug, I think many are saying the 3s are designed this way, many are attracted to such characteristics, should have test driven different brands before landing on a $50k 328ix.
Again - pretty presumptuous of you. You are implying that I "landed" on a 328ix, and I did not. TEST DRIVING the car revealed a concern. I asked others if they have heard the same thing. The answer pretty much was yes. You need to rethink the way you present your response before typing it.

Doug

Last edited by iwanna330cic; 02-13-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Again - pretty presumptuous of you. You are implying that I "landed" on a 328ix, and I did not. TEST DRIVING the car revealed a concern. I asked others if they have heard the same thing. The answer pretty much was yes. You need to rethink the way you present your response before typing it.

Doug
I re-thought about it, so don't land on it.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M35x
Quote:

Doug
I agree with you Doug. Problem is, replies regarding your concerns are being made by enthusuiasts who have low tolerence for those posting brand flaws (real or percieved) and wanting to discuss them longer than one or two postings.

They are trying to tell you it is not so much a flaw as an acceptable characteristic of the model, and if you find it unacceptable, you should move on as not to be disappointed with the brand. All true enthusiasts are like this, no matter what brand loyalty is involved.

I did read a post by one BMW enthusiast who summed up the 3 series experience very well, IMO.

He said these cars are not the last word in reliability or mechanical / material refinement.
They are however the last word in driving refinement & all out driving fun. You buy it for the latter, not the former.

OK...easy enough to say & put into words....but does that make a whining drivetrain acceptable to you? (To me personally, it is not acceptable).

If it does not, an Acura might be in your future as you pointed out!

In closing, my wifes 2011 whining 3 series issue has not been addressed by her to date. She calls me while on the road just to tell me how much fun she is having with the car, thanking me for helping her make it happen!
She loves this car so much I won't rain on her parade. (Of course, so long as the whine is just a benign issue). I was going to mention this issue to the dealer during the first OFC....but as of now, not a priority.

When (if) the day comes she should bring it to my attention, I will have to refer her DTC 100 set her straight one enthusiasts to another (newbie) enthusiasts.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Spartanburg, SC native

Mein Auto: 2010 E90
I have an 2010, 6mt with the same exact whining noise. Most apparent from 0-3500 rpms.

When looking to buy my car I test drove about a dozen 2009/2010 328i E90s and never heard the whining sound until I picked up my car in Munich.

Even drove 2 more E90s since then and no whine.

My dealers explanation was BMW switched to a 'new model' clutch driven alternator mid 2010 production which is 'better' but has the noticeable whine.

The shop foreman said the noise was 'normal' and he has heard it on several other 2010 -2011 3 series, yet the E90 loaner we drove in Together had no such whine.

Believe me, this sound is annoying and sounds nothing like the cars I test drove, which is disappointing to say the least.

Instead of hearing the beautiful sound of the engine revving, you get treated with this cheap sounding, annoying whine.

The noise can be drowned out with moderate radio volume, but that's not the point.

Working on getting my alternator replaced or finding a solution of reducing / eliminating the whine.

Current:
E90 335i | Jet Black | Black | Premium | Sport | 6spd

Retired:
E90 328i | ED 2.16.10 | PCD 4.9.10 | Space Grey | Saddle | Premium | Sport | 6spd | Logic7 | iDrive | Xenons | Sirius
2010 E90 ED Write-up 02.16.10

Last edited by gt0279a; 02-19-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Thank you all for the very well presented posts. I test drove two more 328's this past week. Both of them had a hint of this whine, but both were much less than the first one I drove which lead to my original post.

I have been without a BMW for almost year after 4 years of driving a 3-series. I missed it more than I thought. So - I ordered a 2011 328i X-Drive Sportwagon. I realize the one I get might have more of this sound than I would prefer, but it also might have very little of it. The point really is that the car handles so well and just feels so right that I can get over it. Honestly, I listen to music or even talk radio nearly 100% of the time I drive anyway - - so it most likely won't bother me as much as I probably represented earlier in this thread. I really wanted to know if others heard it and if it is considered normal. My questions were answered, and now I just have to wait for mine to show up.

And - will be doing the performance center delivery too.

Thanks again, for the feedback.

Doug
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMX 328Xi
Sorry to dig this up over 2 years later but my car's noise started a few weeks ago and it was subdued and it did not bother me... but today it was a pain in the ass!

Watch this video:

Please skip to around 2:00....

Does anybody have any solutions? someone on another thread said it had to do with the power steering?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
usually the only whining I have hear comes from the drivers seat, usually right after an expensive repair bill or estimate

HaHa

Hondo
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
usually the only whining I have hear comes from the drivers seat, usually right after an expensive repair bill or estimate

HaHa

Hondo
but its true....

I am contemplating selling it. I got a hell of a deal available on a 2013 Mustang GT C/S...... but my 328 has too many little bells and whistles for me to want to give up (heated wheel, folding mirrors, and other small things like that...)

First World Problems.....
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
yes, your noise is similar to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo.karney View Post
Sorry to dig this up over 2 years later but my car's noise started a few weeks ago and it was subdued and it did not bother me... but today it was a pain in the ass!

Watch this video:

Please skip to around 2:00....

Does anybody have any solutions? someone on another thread said it had to do with the power steering?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
i get a similar high pitch noise when i let off the gas pedal near 45 mph. Something in the tranny. I assume its normal.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: E83 X3
I beleive what you are referring to maybe related to xDrive transfer case. My 2010 328i xDrive and 2007 X3 both have some drivetrain whine which seems to be common with the AWD xDrive models. The 2WD loaners I've had during maintenance visits did not have the drivetrain whine. The X3 did get rather loud at 45K miles and the rear diff was replaced which subdued the sound 80% but it still had some "whine" after the repair. I was told that is normal. The X3 guys have ton's of posts on this topic.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner999 View Post
I beleive what you are referring to maybe related to xDrive transfer case. My 2010 328i xDrive and 2007 X3 both have some drivetrain whine which seems to be common with the AWD xDrive models. The 2WD loaners I've had during maintenance visits did not have the drivetrain whine. The X3 did get rather loud at 45K miles and the rear diff was replaced which subdued the sound 80% but it still had some "whine" after the repair. I was told that is normal. The X3 guys have ton's of posts on this topic.
Yeah it is ridiculous.... I am contemplating getting rid of the car for a 2WD.... I really don't need XDrive anyways!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 PM

YEAH! I finally figured this out! There was a bulletin that was sent to all BMW dealers back in July about this engine whine.... It occurs intermittently at low speeds or sharp turns and it has to do with the diff oil.....

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B33 01 02 dated February 2008.

SUBJECT
Grinding Noise from the Differential during Slow Cornering

MODEL
E46 M3 from start of production

E60 M5 from start of production

E63, E64 M6 from start of production

E90, E92 and E93 M3 from start of production

SITUATION
A grinding noise may be heard coming from the differential during slow cornering.

This noise is best heard during tight cornering situations.
For example : while parallel parking, driving in a tight circle, etc.

CAUSE
When the rear wheel speed differential varies during tight cornering, a slip stick effect is created on the lining and steel discs incorporated in the differential locking clutch, causing the grinding noise.

This noise typically goes away as the locking clutch discs in the differential are broken in.

The break-in time varies depending on driving habits.
For example : tighter cornering (working the locking clutch) means that it takes less time to break in the locking clutch discs.

CORRECTION
If a complaint is verified as described above on the E46 M3; E60 M5; E63 and E64 M6; or on the E90, E92 and E93 M3 vehicles, the differential oil should be replaced with a specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.

Road test the vehicle. (the part I hate the most and every other technician.perhaps most of them skip this part.I would rather give you the option to perform this or at least inform you of this procedure.)

With the vehicle at operating temperature
Drive in tight circles (20 circles in each direction), allowing the special oil to coat the locking clutch discs.

The grinding noise will decrease when the locking clutch discs are sufficiently coated. Some slight noises may still be heard after driving in tight circles. Its necessary to drive the vehicle up to 600 miles before all noises are eliminated as stated by the manufacturer.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 AM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
Great info Mo. Can we please just clarify, is this fault limited to xi models? And to auto or manual transmissions...or both?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jncsk8r View Post
I have heard this same whine on my 2008 328i, it seems to be directly in sync with the transmission. I hear it most when slowing down, when the transmission is gearing down... I had all but completely forgotten about it until I read this thread.

Things like that drive me crazy too, thanks for reminding me about it...
You know, I never really thought about the engine whine too much until reading this thread, and then I was immediately prompted to go out for a drive and pay attention to it. My 328i seems to whine when accelerating between 20-45 mph, and then anything over that I don't really hear it. I also noticed that after the engine reaches operating temp, it'll whine when I back out of a driveway. Very curious.

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Great info Mo. Can we please just clarify, is this fault limited to xi models? And to auto or manual transmissions...or both?

I believe the problem is on both the do and 328i model but is more prominent on the xi with the rear diff. The problem is on both auto and manual transmissions. If your car is making noises and is out of warranty do not fret as it is still free. I have my appointment on Friday. the wanted to keep the car the entire weekend, I talked them out to pick it up on Saturday after noon.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingbimmer View Post
You know, I never really thought about the engine whine too much until reading this thread, and then I was immediately prompted to go out for a drive and pay attention to it. My 328i seems to whine when accelerating between 20-45 mph, and then anything over that I don't really hear it. I also noticed that after the engine reaches operating temp, it'll whine when I back out of a driveway. Very curious.

It's really bad when I back out of my driveway and turn.... Hopefully it'll be fixed as its my only gripe about the car.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM

Well that noise started showing up again. I called my dealer and it seems they used the old diff oil not the new one. :facepalm: I am just going to an indy and getting it done right the first time. My BMW dealer is an incompetent buffoon.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Bond Girl

Quote:
Well that noise started showing up again. I called my dealer and it seems they used the old diff oil not the new one. :facepalm: I am just going to an indy and getting it done right the first time. My BMW dealer is an incompetent buffoon.
Either incompetent or just downright complacent - I have a dealership like that which I've gone to and I know they're knowledgeable about what oil belongs in the car, but it's just laziness that prevents them from doing it right the first time. I do feel your pain though, as my E90 is still noticeably whiny, especially when backing out/turning before the engine completely warms to operating temp.

BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Either incompetent or just downright complacent - I have a dealership like that which I've gone to and I know they're knowledgeable about what oil belongs in the car, but it's just laziness that prevents them from doing it right the first time. I do feel your pain though, as my E90 is still noticeably whiny, especially when backing out/turning before the engine completely warms to operating temp.
Never mind, it was my fault. It seems that when I hit a pretty deep pot hole the other day, I started leaking grease and a slow leak of Power Steering Fluid. It cost $30 for new fluid and patched the crack and it's good to go.

Sadly it was $350+ for a tailight and to replace it. $300+ to change out my driver seatbelt mechanism.... All together for a total of $808. I got the car on Thursday, and yesterday I backed it into a Tahoe. Now I have a dent in my rear right bumper, right below the tailight I replaced.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Bond Girl

Quote:
Never mind, it was my fault. It seems that when I hit a pretty deep pot hole the other day, I started leaking grease and a slow leak of Power Steering Fluid. It cost $30 for new fluid and patched the crack and it's good to go.

Sadly it was $350+ for a tailight and to replace it. $300+ to change out my driver seatbelt mechanism.... All together for a total of $808. I got the car on Thursday, and yesterday I backed it into a Tahoe. Now I have a dent in my rear right bumper, right below the tailight I replaced.
Could you please clarify how it was $350 for a tail light? That doesn't sound right - I replaced one of my tail lights about 3 months ago for $12, that's how much the bulb costs, plus easy DIY. Unless your entire tail light assembly was put out of commission, such as the tail light cover being completely smashed. If that's not the case though, charging labor to change a bulb is a serious rip off. Which tail light was it?

I am sorry to hear about your bumper though... bumper repair/replacement is not a cheap fix, by and large. Speaking from experience, unfortunately .

BMW CCA Member 473595

Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Could you please clarify how it was $350 for a tail light? That doesn't sound right - I replaced one of my tail lights about 3 months ago for $12, that's how much the bulb costs, plus easy DIY. Unless your entire tail light assembly was put out of commission, such as the tail light cover being completely smashed. If that's not the case though, charging labor to change a bulb is a serious rip off. Which tail light was it?

I am sorry to hear about your bumper though... bumper repair/replacement is not a cheap fix, by and large. Speaking from experience, unfortunately .
It was the entire assembly. Even my local BMW dealership told me the entire assembly would have to be replaced since I lot LEDs in 3 different spots.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

Mein Auto: 2013 328i convertible
I just got a 2013 328i convertible, love the car, but just noticed this evening, while starting it up in the garage, that whine. I hear it mostly in 1st and 2nd and esp on up hill or down, maybe this is what I have also. I don't like that sound, but I guess the dealer is going to say it's normal. It would remind me of a power steering sound whine is how I'd describe it, I guess I'll have to get used to it, because Im in it for the long haul on this one . Ps, I posted a new thread about my whine and found this thread.