Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Quietly Learning E46

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbmw328i View Post
Anybody can tell me what's causing that noise in the video? I already checked my DISA VALVE by doing the unplugged method to see if the noise goes away but it is still there. Sounds like its coming from the engine. 2000 328i 169,XXX. THANKS!

It's good to see you have a knack for a good sense of humor sjbmw328.

I would say that's one very "noisy" BMW motor. I can't help but feel like it has been driven hard and rough, perhaps poorly maintained by previous owners.
Most E46 I know, including mine, purrs quietly.

My opinion is to try and maintain a BMW as stock as possible, as they are a great engineered vehicle to begin with. Change motor oil, get back to stock and see what happens. If it's anything worse, hopefully not, take care of it and keep regular maintenance.

Question: How long have you had it... and bought at what mileage? Is there/was there a maintenance record?

Last edited by new_kid; 01-31-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_kid View Post
It's good to see you have a knack for a good sense of humor sjbmw328.

I would say that's one very "noisy" BMW motor. I can't help but feel like it has been driven hard and rough, perhaps poorly maintained by previous owners.
Most E46 I know, including mine, purrs quietly.

My opinion is to try and maintain a BMW as stock as possible, as they are a great engineered vehicle to begin with. Change motor oil, get back to stock and see what happens. If it's anything worse, hopefully not, take care of it and keep regular maintenance.

Question: How long have you had it... and bought at what mileage? Is there/was there a maintenance record?
Only paper work the guy gave me was i think 2 Camshaft Position Sensor installed due to engine light being on and that's it. Bought the car at 146,XXX. Currently almost going to hit 170,000 on the odometer. When I bought the car on Craigslist from the previous owner, He said oil change was done, new brakes all around, so in a rush to get a car as i was Car-Less at the moment, didn't bother to inspect anything as I was still learning about cars until right after i paid the guy and got it home. Going to be honest and say that this is my First Bmw Car , also being my First Manual Car. Anyways, Notice 3 of the rotors were drilled holes type, and 1 being the plain oem type. I was W-T-F MATE?, Haha One day I'm going to change all my rotors to Slotted Type ones with new brake pads, and also bleeding them. Haven't learn how yet, but read some DIY'S on it to get an idea of the process. Car came with ANGEL EYES. My headlight bulbs weren't working anymore and my daytime running lights, only one was working. I didn't like the match between my angel eyes being blue with regular yellow daytime running lights so i ended up taking the bulbs out and left it that way so when I drive during the day, the outline of my angel eyes is only on which i prefer. Ended getting HIDS for the my headlights for night time. Anyways let met just get straight to everything I did on my car with less detailed hopefully. LOL 2 Oil with filter Changes, first with Royal Purple 5w30, Recently with Mobil 1 0w40(BMW APPROVAL OIL), 2 Transmission/Differential oil change (also put new DIFF. PLUGS with washers ), First with Royal Purple, then 2nd time with REDLINE. Power Steering Pump went BAD due to leak at the hose from reservoir to pump and the other hoses. Did An Overhaul with the whole power steering assembly. From Oembimmerparts.com, Changed all the hoses with new clamps, new Power Steering Reservoir, New PS Pump from rockauto.com. Top it off with Redline D4ATF. No More Annoying Vibration issue while turning the steering is now gone . Fix my outside temp reader with a new Ambient Temp Sensor From Ebay, (SEE MY DIY UNDER MY SIG PIC). Also just yesterday, I installed a new Serpertine Belt and put an "Alluminum" Power Steering Pulley because the old one had some cracked during the time when i was changine out the pump.

That's pretty much what I did to my car since i bought it until now. If i had the money, i would fix a lot of stuff. I'm still paying it off every month, but when i get my tax money, I am FINALLY GOING TO PAY IT OFF! Can't Wait, Now i will have some extra money now since the whole time my paychecks been going towards the car payments. My next Project is changing all my rotors and brake pads and bleeding them. SORRY for the long information. You Guys probably got bored reading all that. HAHA. Just taking care of my car little by little.

CHECK OUT MY DIY FOR AMBIENT TEMP SENSOR (EBAY SENSOR) -40F/+122F PROBLEM FIX
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=672225

Last edited by sjbmw328i; 01-31-2013 at 02:59 PM.